Gladiator Tire Carriers

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
Alrighty so since another thread on bed racks got derailed and transitioned to tire carriers, I thought I’d just start a tire carrier thread since it seems to be a hot topic item that so far has been lacking on the JT.

So far outside of custom options, the upcoming LOD on the bottom rack seems to be a pretty decent contender, at least for me. Though a bed rack in general limits the type of cargo in the bed, such as dirt bikes or quads.

IMG_1270.jpg

I would love to have a spindle mounted on the rear bumper as well, but only if it is able to easily be removed and reinstalled. I don’t want to be driving around town with it and blocking my rear camera, but want to be able to put it on when I go wheeling. I also want to be able to haul cargo that may hang over the the tailgate or require that the tailgate is down, such as plywood, dirt bikes, or quads.

Under the bed is a no go for me personally. The spare would get trashed and departure angle would suffer.

Any other thoughts or considerations?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

WJCO

Meme King
I thought for sure I would build something right off the bat but just haven't had the time. My thought was something like the j6 concept (pictured below) but the tire would be raised up above the bed (still slanted at an angle), but the catch is that the entire carrier would still work with a tonneau cover. So the tire would be above the cover. That would mean where the rack fastens to the bed rail would have to be U Channel steel or something like that and the tonneau cover brackets would have to install inside there somehow. Along with that, I though of making the top part of the rack come apart from the bottom so that if you wanted to put something tall in the bed, the tire (and top of rack) could come off fairly quickly. I still may do something like this. It would be more of a tire carrier than a bed rack.

j6mbqrsa379bnldlmm0v7qqk2f93-1554673546.jpg

Rough country makes one in the bed. Basically I would build something like this that sits higher and fastens to the top of the bed rails and not inside the bed.

img_3465__18314.1573684351.jpg

FFPulley77

Hooked
A guy back home had a tire carrier that went into the hitch receiver of his Avalanche that would fold down and allow him to lower his tailgate. It was removable and seemed to hold a good bit of weight. Could be an option.

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
I have a few friends with Tacoma’s and they steered me to look at this type of setup. I don’t wanna mention the company name since I’m not sure it’s allowed. I called them to see if they’re going to be making JT stuff, and the lady I talked to said that the owner bought one and is in the design process for bumpers with tire carriers. Supposedly something like this should be out by the end of the year. Note the bed and fender gets cut behind rear wheel. I’m hoping the spindles are easily removable.

IMG_1299.jpg

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
I have a few friends with Tacoma’s and they steered me to look at this type of setup. I don’t wanna mention the company name since I’m not sure it’s allowed. I called them to see if they’re going to be making JT stuff, and the lady I talked to said that the owner bought one and is in the design process for bumpers with tire carriers. Supposedly something like this should be out by the end of the year. Note the bed and fender gets cut behind rear wheel. I’m hoping the spindles are easily removable.

View attachment 359671

That style is very heavy and a lot of weight to be hanging off the rear of the chassis. I had a friend with a similar setup on the back of his patrol and it changed the handling pretty drastically

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom