CANCELED My AAA Premier Road Side Assistance - Think You're Covered? Think Again

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
This was on the driver, so now we know to just keep calling until we get a good one ! [emoji3]

LOL! I guess you missed the part where AAA defended their driver and told me to re-read their terms and conditions. Of course, had there been more than one towing company in the town I was in, I might have tried calling someone else.

jeeeep

Hooked
Wow that sucks...I'd say that driver put AAA in a position to have to defend him and his his shitty attitude. that's the problem with guys that are about the only game in town, they think they can have a shitty attitude because business will still come their way.

TheCodeMonk

Wow that sucks...I wonder if part of their policy on modified vehicles has changed. I had no problem with AAA in the past on both lifted and lowered vehicles and always got a flatbed when requested. In fact the locksmiths and tow drivers in town love AAA calls because they are treated well and usually have gone out of their way to provide added value to me because of it. The last time I needed them was a few years ago, though, and so I do wonder if something has changed or if it's a bad rep and bad driver combo. It's almost worth hitting up the social media page to find out what the more public response would be.

Kalums

I haven't used/payed for AAA since they refused to tow my 76' Wagoneer after the transfer case took a crap on me and locked up(gear driven not the stock chain drive) driver told me because I had 35s it wasn't safe to tow, left me 20+ miles from dang near anything on the crescent cut off in Oregon. Not a fun day for me...

Sent from my LG-LS997 using WAYALIFE mobile app

MTG

Caught the Bug
That sucks. Sounds like a bad experience with an a-hole driver and a worse experience with a low level CSR.

My $0.02

1) post location
2) post name of tow truck operator
3) pay (with credit card) and dispute the charges after you are home
4) pull the driveshaft

I've used other "emergency service" providers before and they are a nightmare.

5) post up what you find that is better then AAA

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I dumped AAA in about 2005 after 19 years of membership. About the only thing it was good for was discounted hotel rooms and eyeglasses.

dwvninety

I dumped AAA in about 2005 after 19 years of membership. About the only thing it was good for was discounted hotel rooms and eyeglasses.

I have had to use AAA and in sticky situation I would always tip the operator some $$ on the side. Never had any problems when I did that.

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
AAA is something I never was willing to pay a premium for. I've only needed a tow truck twice in my life. Once was for an exploded transmission on an old pickup and the other was to pull me out of some mud I shouldn't have tried going through to show off when I was a teenager. I paid out of pocket both times and to date I've spent $300.00 in 30 years. That's why I don't pay extra and never wanted to. I think i'm still financially way ahead. Granted my situation is a little different as I don't have a fleet of cars or do the kind of wheeling where I expect breakage, but I can understand how someone who has seen multiple lifted vehicles including their own hauled off without a problem, would think there wouldn't suddenly be an issue. Fine print aside, AAA is a business, and a business that defends a subcontractor who is an asshole, becomes the asshole. Blaming the customer is the most guaranteed way to lose that customer and in this case very likely multiple current and potential ones.
In gambling terms: I'll see their three A's and I'll raise them a finger.

aermotor

Wow, that's unreal! That AAA driver is a real d bag. I had my Jeep towed from near Barstow all the way to LA in the middle of the night and the guy didn't bat an eye. You know why? Cause he's making decent money! This does not inspire confidence in me, I'm sure it's a semi-isolated incident but makes no sense.

I wonder if you get the RV coverage would they still give you shit... But I would agree with everyone else that the tow truck operator is a dbag.... I have had many vehicles in the past that required flatbed including AWD Eclipse GSX and motorcycles to just name a couple but never had problems with getting a flat bed...

I would have to say it is probably because they knew they were the only game in town and wanted to screw you... I am surprised as getting a 70 mile tow is big money even with the reduced rates AAA would give them... They just figured you were over a barrel and wanted to give it to you... minus lube.....

dasbus

Like I said, in over 10 years, I never had a problem with AAA. This experience was surprising to say the least and disheartening that they would stand behind their tow truck driver that wanted to charge us $600-$700 or leave us stranded. Now that I've seen the fine print, I understand that I can't rely on them to consistently help me out in a pinch.

Rest of what I typed went missing, "loose nut behind the keyboard". Both Drivers did tell me that do to the upgrades some drivers might not tow me and its up to the tow drivers discretion. Leaves a lot of wiggle room to screw us. I was fortunate both times and had great drivers that made sure I was taken care off.

DaJudge

That sucks! Mine is up for renewal this month. Maybe I will just let it lapse. Besides, who the hell still runs a old-fashioned cradle tow-truck? I knew a guy in FL that ran a tow service. He got rid of his because the liability insurance for them was killing him. It was cheaper to get flatbeds.

fiend

Caught the Bug
Some credit cards include roadside assistance as a perk. Probably the same as AAA but without the cost. Honestly, I would have cancelled my AAA service long ago but for my wife. She feels better having it and I'll shoulder the cost just to nip her anxiety over getting stranded with a dead battery or whatever.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just thought I would post an update. I never received a reply from Mary Whitehead and so this morning, I called up AAA to cancel my Premier Membership. Just as I was finishing things up, the very nice gal I was speaking with asked why I wanted to cancel and so I politely let her know that her services were useless to me being and briefly explained what had happened. Long story short, she agreed what had happened was wrong and asked if she could put my cancellation on hold while she brought this matter to someone higher up. I told her that unless AAA could guarantee me that I would receive towing assistance in the future, I wasn't interested. She explained it may take a while but that she would try her hardest to get back to me or have someone higher up get back to me as soon as possible. She said this could take a couple of weeks but if all else failed, she would retroactively cancel my membership. So, I am now on standby and I'll post an updated as soon as I hear back from someone.

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
Out of curiosity, I called my local AAA agent and she told me they wouldn't tow my Jeep because I had aftermarket wheels. I then told her my truck had a set of aftermarket wheels, no other modifications. She said she wouldn't touch it with a ten-foot pole. I was disappointed.

WJCO

Meme King
Just thought I would post an update. I never received a reply from Mary Whitehead and so this morning, I called up AAA to cancel my Premier Membership. Just as I was finishing things up, the very nice gal I was speaking with asked why I wanted to cancel and so I politely let her know that her services were useless to me being and briefly explained what had happened. Long story short, she agreed what had happened was wrong and asked if she could put my cancellation on hold while she brought this matter to someone higher up. I told her that unless AAA could guarantee me that I would receive towing assistance in the future, I wasn't interested. She explained it may take a while but that she would try her hardest to get back to me or have someone higher up get back to me as soon as possible. She said this could take a couple of weeks but if all else failed, she would retroactively cancel my membership. So, I am now on standby and I'll post an updated as soon as I hear back from someone.

Well that's better than the first response. Hope it works out for you guys.

benatc1

Hooked
Just caught up on this, sounds the the lazy driver was just a scum bag and it's to bad because that put a very sour taste in your mouth with AAA after such a long time with their service. While, in general, they may provide the best service of any other tow companies it's hard to justify pre-paying for it as a membership when they don't actually provide the service when needed.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Fine print aside, AAA is a business, and a business that defends a subcontractor who is an asshole, becomes the asshole. Blaming the customer is the most guaranteed way to lose that customer and in this case very likely multiple current and potential ones.

And, that's the main reason why I'm leaving AAA. They asked for my opinion via a survey, I told them what happened and what I thought of their service and their rep Mary Whitehead proceeded to give me the middle finger. In my book, the buck stops with them.

Out of curiosity, I called my local AAA agent and she told me they wouldn't tow my Jeep because I had aftermarket wheels. I then told her my truck had a set of aftermarket wheels, no other modifications. She said she wouldn't touch it with a ten-foot pole. I was disappointed.

Well that sucks. Being that AAA apparently wants my business, I let them know exactly what they'll need to do to keep it - guarantee that they'll provide the roadside assistance I'm paying for.

Well that's better than the first response. Hope it works out for you guys.

The rep I spoke to on the phone was very sympathetic but I doubt she'll be able to do anything. Certainly, I'm not holding my breath and I told her as much.

Just caught up on this, sounds the the lazy driver was just a scum bag and it's to bad because that put a very sour taste in your mouth with AAA after such a long time with their service. While, in general, they may provide the best service of any other tow companies it's hard to justify pre-paying for it as a membership when they don't actually provide the service when needed.

What really bothers me is the lack of consistency when it comes to enforcing their policies. Either you reliably provide consistent roadside assistance to customers who pay for the service or you don't. To leave your policy open ended and vague so that a towing company can take advantage of a person because of their situation is troubling to me.

benatc1

Hooked
And, that's the main reason why I'm leaving AAA. They asked for my opinion via a survey, I told them what happened and what I thought of their service and their rep Mary Whitehead proceeded to give me the middle finger. In my book, the buck stops with them.

Well that sucks. Being that AAA apparently wants my business, I let them know exactly what they'll need to do to keep it - guarantee that they'll provide the roadside assistance I'm paying for.

The rep I spoke to on the phone was very sympathetic but I doubt she'll be able to do anything. Certainly, I'm not holding my breath and I told her as much.

What really bothers me is the lack of consistency when it comes to enforcing their policies. Either you reliably provide consistent roadside assistance to customers who pay for the service or you don't. To leave your policy open ended and vague so that a towing company can take advantage of a person because of their situation is troubling to me.

That's just it, seems like a lot of the AAA are contracted to already existing tow companies so therefore a lot can happen off books if they so choose. The whole issue could have been avoided if the guy just brought his damn flat bed, that he had sitting around, in the first place-like you requested

GraniteCrystal

The fact that there is inconsistency in understanding the policy or enforcing it is enough to not make it worth it for me. Ultimately, when the Jeep breaks down on a road like that at night, you can't hope you get a nice truck driver that has a flatbed. There has to be top-down direction and absolute clarity throughout the AAA organization and partners that they'll tow the Jeep 100% of the time. Without that, no matter what they say on the phone or in an email right now, it's still a gamble if you'll get the help you need.

Top Bottom