JK STEERING HAS ME WANDERING.... I mean wondering

BaddestCross

Doesn't a PR44 have more caster built in but corrects the driveshaft angle?

For sure on the Links...
Yeah it does. I believe it's like 6 degrees. I'm at 4.8 to 5 on caster and that lines my front drive shaft up perfect.

Sent from my SM-N975U using WAYALIFE mobile app
Yeah, but the PR44 is designed for more caster... Cs would be angled to compensate for it so I'd assume the end result would be a factory pitch at the knuckles, no?

Did I miss the part where the OP stated having a PR44?

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

TrailHunter

Hooked
Yeah, but the PR44 is designed for more caster... Cs would be angled to compensate for it so I'd assume the end result would be a factory pitch at the knuckles, no?

Did I miss the part where the OP stated having a PR44?

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

No.. he doesn’t have a PR44... Just an example of more caster built in to compensate for the lift ... I’m pretty sure more caster on a stock axle results in better steering but could cause driveline vibrations... But now you’ve confused me... lol

Mal-Adjusted

Have you changed your Unit Bearings?

Not yet, but I instructed the shop that currently has it to check them out. I actually hope they tell me they're worn and need replacement. I've already changed just about everything else. The only front end parts left that are original is: axle housing, upper control arms, and the track bar.

TrailHunter

Hooked
Not yet, but I instructed the shop that currently has it to check them out. I actually hope they tell me they're worn and need replacement. I've already changed just about everything else. The only front end parts left that are original is: axle housing, upper control arms, and the track bar.

Change your track bar and add the synergy track bar frame brace (just the track bar mount bracket) ... and install new unit bearings. The Jeep will feel like its on rails.

Edit: My unit bearings went bad at 15k... They seemed fine to me with a visual inspection... Jeep felt new again after I changed them.

Last edited:

Mal-Adjusted

Change your track bar and add the synergy track bar frame brace (just the track bar mount bracket) ... and install new unit bearings. The Jeep will feel like its on rails.

Edit: My unit bearings went bad at 15k... They seemed fine to me with a visual inspection... Jeep felt new again after I changed them.

Sounds reasonable. Thanks. I appreciate everyone's input. I'll update you all once complete.

Mal-Adjusted

Update on the progress.
Since my last post, I have had the alignment corrected by the shop that originally built it. They have also changed the unit bearings (as suggested earlier), and replaced the worn-out/broken Rubicon sway bar. It drives a lot better. I haven't had the chance to get it on the interstate yet, but I'm optimistic based on my last test drive. I really appreciate everyone's input. I think the unit bearings may have been the issue all along. If I would have done that first, it may have saved me at least $6K. Live and learn. :gaah:

jesse3638

Hooked
Update on the progress.
Since my last post, I have had the alignment corrected by the shop that originally built it. They have also changed the unit bearings (as suggested earlier), and replaced the worn-out/broken Rubicon sway bar. It drives a lot better. I haven't had the chance to get it on the interstate yet, but I'm optimistic based on my last test drive. I really appreciate everyone's input. I think the unit bearings may have been the issue all along. If I would have done that first, it may have saved me at least $6K. Live and learn. :gaah:
What was worn out or broken with the Rubi swaybar?

If it would not reconnect then that would make it drive really strange.

Sent from my SM-G973U using WAYALIFE mobile app

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug
For anyone on the fence about the big bore and pump, I just installed the Overlander system in my 10A and can’t say enough good things about it. Still needs an alignment but so far the steering wheel with low backspace wheels and 37s is lighter than my F150 with 32s and stock wheels.
I’m excited to see how it does in the rocks

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Top Bottom