Frequency of gear oil change

BlueRubicon

Caught the Bug
This question is to those who have years of experience actually using their Jeep for what it is for. How often do you change gear/axle oil? I have just under 10K on JLUR and was considering doing it now. I have off-roaded probably about 12 days in total since I bought it in December. All of this off-roading including rock crawling and steep rocky inclines.

monstrousmac

Caught the Bug
This question is to those who have years of experience actually using their Jeep for what it is for. How often do you change gear/axle oil? I have just under 10K on JLUR and was considering doing it now. I have off-roaded probably about 12 days in total since I bought it in December. All of this off-roading including rock crawling and steep rocky inclines.

so, If I am towing or offroading alot I do every 15K, normal driving every25 to 30k. I may be wrong though. I do have 200k on my Jeep though.

wjtstudios

Hooked
I end up doing a number of water crossing a year, so just as a pro cautionary measure, I change it after a long wet run like Drummond.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Speedy_RCW

Hooked

I go every 15k or after any trips that involve water crossings.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

morricus

75-140 here but I’m running 5.13’s. Just taking a guess you’re running stock gearing so whatever the manual recommends for you. Likely 75-90.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I changed mine at 9k miles or so, to 75-140 in rear and 75-90 in front. I was stock rims and tires then, but I've always put 75-140 in my previous trucks and since I routinely hit 90 on highway, so likely a good fit. Since moving to 37's, I most definitely will stay with 75-140.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
So manual says to to run 80W-90. Living and wheeling mostly in SoCal is that what you guys would recommend as well?

Sent from my SM-G975U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Depends on what gears you run. If you have stock then yes run that. If you run a higher ratio like a 4.88 or a 5.13 then do a 75w-140 due to the extra heat created

wjtstudios

Hooked
4:88s and I run amsoil 75w-110. It’s what Dan from fusion wanted in them so I didn’t question.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

MericaMade

Depends on what gears you run. If you have stock then yes run that. If you run a higher ratio like a 4.88 or a 5.13 then do a 75w-140 due to the extra heat created

Yeah stock 4:10s for now. Thank you. Any brands to stay away from?

Last edited:

ScoobyCarolanNC

In my JK I ran Lucas Oil then Mobil 1 in the same weight. She felt heavier with the Lucas oil for some reason, like it had to work harder. I don’t know, I had a transmission issues too, but I switched to Mobil 1 (buy 1 get 1 sale) & that feeling seemed to go away.

Top Bottom