Welding help

mo0s3

And welding aluminum is a art in itself, to think you will learn and start making bumpers is a pipe dream considering most companies that have guys making aluminum bumpers are EXTREMELY skilled . Not try to rain on you parade but if it was indeed that easy then companies like EVO and Genrite would be hosed lol.
Try you hand at welding then compare your welds to theirs and see what I'm saying. Easy look at others work and say oh I can make that. But I assure you a self taught welder right out of the gate will never be close to EVO !!!!
Like I said I can lay down some nice looking beads but when you break into aluminum heh, GOOD LUCK

GregMort13

Caught the Bug
And welding aluminum is a art in itself, to think you will learn and start making bumpers is a pipe dream considering most companies that have guys making aluminum bumpers are EXTREMELY skilled . Not try to rain on you parade but if it was indeed that easy then companies like EVO and Genrite would be hosed lol.
Try you hand at welding then compare your welds to theirs and see what I'm saying. Easy look at others work and say oh I can make that. But I assure you a self taught welder right out of the gate will never be close to EVO !!!!
Like I said I can lay down some nice looking beads but when you break into aluminum heh, GOOD LUCK

Like i said, im not expecting to be a professional. Strictly an Admirer at the moment trying to turn into a hobbyist. I know aluminum is harder but i can only learn and practice if i have the equipment. I appreciate the advice, but theres no need to knock someone for asking a question. I was stating my end game goals on why i would like to learn. Heh THANK YOU

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
Hobart is a Miller machine with a few less bells and whistles and a much better price. 1/4" is pretty thick for a home mig but doable on a 240v machine. You will want at least a Hobart 190 which you can get with the aluminum spool gun. I would recommend springing for the 210 though. Both run on 240v 50a breaker. Another thing on Gas, Co2 is cheap shielding gas that gets deeper penetration. It will not burn as nice of a bead as 75/25 mix but is great for learning because of the price.

mo0s3

Like i said, im not expecting to be a professional. Strictly an Admirer at the moment trying to turn into a hobbyist. I know aluminum is harder but i can only learn and practice if i have the equipment. I appreciate the advice, but theres no need to knock someone for asking a question. I was stating my end game goals on why i would like to learn. Heh THANK YOU

Not knocking you bud, unfortunately with messages or texting you place you emotions to my words. I'm simply trying to help you out [emoji6]

mo0s3

Ditto. Aluminum is tricky. I gave up on that shit.

Exactly!!!
I'm not trying to kill dreams lol. I'm simply stating it is not as easy as it looks haha.
I'm with you WJCO.
I can run a Tig and it's a sexy bead but it is in no way the quality of EVO or Genrite for that matter.
I just was simply saying to the thread it is in no way a simple process to do it haha. Which I'm sure a lot of people will agree. Didn't mean to piss off the creator of the thread [emoji16]

mo0s3

When it comes down to it, do yourself a favor and take a class. You will benefit from it trust me!

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
When it comes down to it, do yourself a favor and take a class. You will benefit from it trust me!

**This definitely** with a decent welding course and lots of practice you will get there. And like everyone said aluminum is a whole other art to learn, but don't let it scare you from trying. Always good to add a skill to your toolbox.

mo0s3

**This definitely** with a decent welding course and lots of practice you will get there. And like everyone said aluminum is a whole other art to learn, but don't let it scare you from trying. Always good to add a skill to your toolbox.

Couldn't agree more. Sorry if I came off like a internet badass [emoji37]. But Quick is on it !

Zstairlessone

Thanks guys, after talking to a few friends and hearing everyones advice here, i think ive settled on two budget friendly options. Like i stated, i dont have 220 service right now so I'm leaning towards.. http://www.eastwood.com/mig-welder-110vac-135a-output.html?fee=7&fep=5075&SRCCODE=GA220010&adpos=1o1&creative=99675667380&device=m&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CjwKEAjwiMe8BRD0ts3Vtv-ohWgSJAAZurk1qK0vzycpC4b057MgOf7AMw-jb06ms9jmrigD-Vpd6hoCJLrw_wcB If i decide to get an electrician friend to get a sub panel going for me, ill more then likely go with... http://www.eastwood.com/mig-welders-175-amp-mig-welder-w-spool-gun.html?fee=7&fep=5076&SRCCODE=GA220010&adpos=1o2&creative=99675667380&device=m&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CjwKEAjwiMe8BRD0ts3Vtv-ohWgSJAAZurk1nhxP4kzunxwVU_CVX5OS4Z4MgfZG5ugKuZgFO4OLIRoCvCDw_wcB I would really enjoy the 175 because the option to expand my horizons to the growing popular aluminum jeep bumpers and what not. Ive got a few weeks before i can pull the trigger on one of these financially

Please look at the duty cycle for each of these units, the small one is 20% at 90 amps the 175 is like 30% at 135 amps. This is why people are trying to get you to save up for a better welder if you can.

GregMort13

Caught the Bug
Please look at the duty cycle for each of these units, the small one is 20% at 90 amps the 175 is like 30% at 135 amps. This is why people are trying to get you to save up for a better welder if you can.

Yeah i did see that. I just wasnt sure if that was the normal or not bc miller nor lincolns website advertise their duty cycles. At least that i could find

Last edited:

GregMort13

Caught the Bug
Just looked on northern tool and the lincoln 140 and the hobart 140 also both have a duty cycle of 20%

Edit: 20% duty cycle seems to be the norm for the 140 welders because even the millermatic 141 has a duty cycle of 20%

Last edited:

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
Thanks guys, after talking to a few friends and hearing everyones advice here, i think ive settled on two budget friendly options.

Like i stated, i dont have 220 service right now so I'm leaning towards..

http://www.eastwood.com/mig-welder-...pC4b057MgOf7AMw-jb06ms9jmrigD-Vpd6hoCJLrw_wcB

If i decide to get an electrician friend to get a sub panel going for me, ill more then likely go with...

http://www.eastwood.com/mig-welders...unxwVU_CVX5OS4Z4MgfZG5ugKuZgFO4OLIRoCvCDw_wcB

I would really enjoy the 175 because the option to expand my horizons to the growing popular aluminum jeep bumpers and what not.

Ive got a few weeks before i can pull the trigger on one of these financially

I have owned the Eastwood 175 before. It was an alright unit, ran smooth beads when it worked. I owned it 2.5 years and had to have warranty parts sent from China 3 times. The final time was a gas solenoid that took 3 months to get. I ended up selling at as soon as I fixed it and picked up a Hobart at Tractor Supply for about $150 more. To me the reliability is well worth the extra cost. And if I didn't diagnose the problems and fix them myself then I would have had to pay to ship it to the factory for repair.

Top Bottom