Average TJ Build

Really wish I didn't need the hvac controls as this would be perfect.

Maybe I'll move the hvac switches.... Too many options

Last edited:
Really wished I had lockers today and a rubi transfer case with the lower gearing, and yes, the garage was full. Moved to other side of yard in preparation of pole barn construction where it was.... I do weird shit with my jeep... It's always entertaining though.

[video]http://s362.photobucket.com/user/snboarder89/media/Tj/6F5AEE93-8B55-4C9B-86BC-A5345E5732C1_zpswl4nazuk.mp4.html[/video]

Last edited:
Been a busy month with very little work getting done, until the water pump decided to eat its bearing in the middle of the night on the way home.

38517205-5B1E-430E-A5DA-C593425862AD_zpsqt3abrfo.jpg~original

Tried to get some coolant to stay in but nothing worked so I limped it home with no coolant luckily it was very cold out so I only had to stop three times to let it cool down

Replaced the water pump and everything's happy again, but that got me thinking I should probably start finishing up my projects. So I got the amber/white warning strobes I picked up for $20 mounted and prewired, still have to finish fabbing my switch panel and permanently mount the fuse block. Next to the tail lights is the only spot that looked okay, so for one they're there I don't know where I'm going to mount them once I get my corner armor on and flush led tails.

9233373F-7348-4FA9-9ADF-68BB2D5A6415_zpsiehjvudo.jpg~original

Going to start making the new dash panel this week, see if I get my other parts from amazon and button everything up finally.

Last edited:
A little more winter

Still haven't finished the dash project, soon, but made progress.
I like the location I can press any switch without taking my hand off the shifter

And this is what happens when a tree lands on your jeep

New windshield this week, have to redo the lightbar mounts but it'll be back together soon.

In the meantime did some repainting from the rough winter
Before

After

Last edited:
Still waiting on my windshield, been too busy the last few weeks. But did get my "rock lights" installed on the sliders. I air quoted that because these are the $15 for 20 eBay bolt lights. I have more for around the rest of the jeep but want to see how these hold up te way I mounted them is a rock catching hazard so if they hold up well enough then I'll build a safer mounting strip. For now they work and look pretty good.

Last edited:

JeepJeep75

I like all the DIY your doing on your jeep. Sucks about the tree. Looks like you've been able to nurse it back to good health though. [emoji106]

Fast forward a few months and I went playing a few hours drive away and came home with a trashed rear frame and a loud engine knock. It sat in the snow all winter lookin sad but I've had a lot of free time the last couple weeks so the rebuild has begun. First up was engine rebuild. Turned out to be just a broken piston skirt on one cylinder but since it was open anyway decided to refresh everything, bearings, valve seals, all new pistons, oil pump, lifters, valve seals etc.

Off comes the head

The culprit

If your jeep is ever too tall and you're too lazy to take the wheels off, valve stem core is quick and easy ;)

And then the phone battery died and I buttoned her back up and she runs like new again.

Last edited:
Now onto the frame again.... more reasons to never live in a state that salts roads....
I stupidly had forgotten to take the hitch out of my bumper when I went wheeling and was very quickly reminded when I crest over an obstacle and the entire jeep landed hard on the hitch tweaking the rust loose in the back and breaking free the rear cross member.
So here we go on that project.....

Cut off the bad frame. Sliced up some tub and tomorrow begins the rebuilding phase.

Off came the bumper and out came the gas tank

And cleaned up ready for some welding

Last edited:
Couldn't find the exact size tubing I wanted for this project so had to get a bit creative. Got the new frame horn pieces welded and mocked up. Used my bumper as a level To eyeball it and I think it came out better than expected, off to buy more tubing and finish it up.

Last edited:

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
Holy rust!

I do NOT miss that from when I lived in the UP of Michigan. Good looking TJ (minus the rust) :thumb:

Made significant progress,
Got the rear beam built and drilled, then centered to the vehicle, mocked up and tacked together. Finish weld tomorrow and build the body mounts and paint.

Last edited:

BobNH

I really like this build. I miss my TJ at times, but your rust issues are why mine is gone. Every weld left me needing to do another, and frame replacement parts. I am in NH, so see the same salt crap, and now tyvm brine.
Pay attention to those point where the frame curves down behind the front axle, and where it curves up at the rear, and the rails under the transfer case skid. These all caught mine out. Again though, great thread of keeping a TJ alive.

Sent from my SM-N910V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Yeah the arm mounts and skid mounts have all been rewelded/ replaced from the first time it went under the knife, so those are already good, as well as the tub body mount channels. I think it's less about saving it and more about getting a few more years out of it. Had I not dropped the rear on a concrete obstacle with all the weight of the jeep landing in it hard it probably wouldn't need this much help. But hopefully get it done in a couple more days.

Prepped the rear bumper and rebedlined. Finish welded and painted then welded to the frame and gave it a couple more coats. Officially have a full frame again. So much work just to get back to where it was, maybe I'll order a lift kit to make me feel better about returning pieces to stock, where's the fun in that?

Tomorrow gets rebuilt and maybe some sheet metalling

Last edited:

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
Great work! This is truly your Jeep.

I hope you're able to enjoy it this summer now that most of the repair seems to be complete!

'07 JKUR ... mod'ing never stops...

Not totally done. But done enough that it's road(and Offroad) worthy again still have a little sheet metal to do but I'm happy just to have it up and running again. Now, gotta break in this engine. :)

Does anyone have recommendations for a good sprayable Bedliner? I am not happy with the longevity of the rustoleum I've been using have to redo every summer. Don't want anything crazy money like line x. Spray can is best.

Last edited:

buckweil

Your Jeep looks amazing now! Great work! And if you have a air compressor look into raptor liner I've heard that does wonders.

Top Bottom