RECOVERY GEAR : A Must Have Before Hitting the Trails

ttfhell

He's talking about a stick in between the the loops created between the two straps. All this does is stop it from getting so tight you can't separate them after the pull.

Serg5000

YOU, Sir are dangerous and I pray NOBODY is stupid enough to wheel with you. I'd take a flying D-Ring any day of the week over a flying Jeep. You're no advocate for safety, you're a recipe for disaster!

Sent from my DROID4 using WAYALIFE mobile app

You referring to me?

Serg5000

In the April issue of Petersen's 4wheel&off-road magazine on page 54. They suggest using a rolled magazine or a wooden dowel.
a6ete4e8.jpg

No,Serg. The "Advocate for Safety" that dredged this old thread up to start with.

Sent from my DROID4 using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You guys can call me what you want, I wasn't being a troll, and Eddie, I didn't post any video on this thread. I am just an advocate for safety and what you posted is 100% wrong, I don't care how new your straps are, you DON'T hook two straps together using a clevis. I copied a story I read many years ago and it is a prime example why you don't put two straps together with a clevis.

Oh I get it, you read a story a long time ago on the internet and so that has to make me 100% wrong. Well, all I can say is BONJOUR, I'm a French model :standing wave:

It is so easy to put two straps together without having a projectile in between them.

And it's just as impossible to take them apart after the fact. Not that I would be speaking from experience here or anything like that being the rookie that I am.

I know the proper and safe methods for recovery and it's a shame that you guys have to learn the hard way.

Well sure, you read about it on the internet so you must know the only way things should and shouldn't be done. Me, I so new to all this, what would I know.

He's talking about a stick in between the the loops created between the two straps. All this does is stop it from getting so tight you can't separate them after the pull.

You really think that'll be enough to keep it from getting so tight that you can't separate them? By all means, give it a try. :yup:

Tigrcky

In the April issue of Petersen's 4wheel&off-road magazine on page 54. They suggest using a rolled magazine or a wooden dowel.
a6ete4e8.jpg

the wooden dowel is pretty pointless with that setup... like others have said it just makes it easier to pull it apart... but then again its not that hard to remove when its cinched :thinking:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Since 4X4PLAY seemed to have missed it, I also carry a chain in my recovery kit. Why not give that grief as well? Why is using it any different?

Armydog

I have rigged many a heavy object for pulls and lifts. Mostly ductile iron pipe and stuff, but some vehicle pulls as well. ALWAYS use a shackle. Never use a choke with or without a stick.... Don't overload the straps, don't use worn or damaged straps and secure the load. I never have had an issue. Period

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app.......

MICP3309

Working in emergency services, I do heavy rigging for Rescue applications, large vehicles and building stabilization post accident / collapse. I can say we use shackles EVERYWHERE!!! The Rescue Truck I work from has at least 35 of em in various sizes. We never travel without shackles, straps, and grade 80 chain. So if using shackles is "good enough" for life safety to hold a suspended load, and my ass has to depend on it to keep me from getting crushed, I think it can pull a Jeep out of trouble! But as for retrieving Jeeps, I trust what Eddie and you guys that have done THAT a lot have said!!

David1tontj

I have used d rings to hold straps together for a long time. I think they must have been using snatch straps and really yanking hard when it killed that guy. And if you're pulling that hard, you're just as likely to break a tow hook which can also be a projectile. If I'm so stuck that a simple tug won't work, then I pull out the winch for some slow, controlled, and safe recovery.

And let's not forget to be draping stuff over cables to weigh them down if something breaks. -I have used a d ring through my recovery bag to weigh down winch lines before. (The bag is nice and heavy, and it has a nice handle to make sure it stays on the line)

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

TreyJK

I'm shocked at how offended some people get on this forum, it's absolutely ridiculous. And before I say more, please flame me for not having a high post count and therefore regard me as inexperienced, but from a completely unbiased standpoint, it seems that some people take Eddie's words to heart and viciously attack anyone else that has a different opinion. Don't get me wrong, Eddie and the Wayalife crew offer extremely valuable and helpful information but everyone can make a mistake every now and then. Personally, I have used the dowel method numerous times on hard pulls and it works fantastically at keeping the lines from getting so tight that you cannot remove them. So, Eddie, if this means that I somehow have an evil personal agenda, then please, by all means, cancel my membership on this forum. If that's all it takes then I don't want it. But remember that we're all adults, let's try to be polite and helpful to each other.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I'm shocked at how offended some people get on this forum, it's absolutely ridiculous. And before I say more, please flame me for not having a high post count and therefore regard me as inexperienced, but from a completely unbiased standpoint, it seems that some people take Eddie's words to heart and viciously attack anyone else that has a different opinion. Don't get me wrong, Eddie and the Wayalife crew offer extremely valuable and helpful information but everyone can make a mistake every now and then. Personally, I have used the dowel method numerous times on hard pulls and it works fantastically at keeping the lines from getting so tight that you cannot remove them. So, Eddie, if this means that I somehow have an evil personal agenda, then please, by all means, cancel my membership on this forum. If that's all it takes then I don't want it. But remember that we're all adults, let's try to be polite and helpful to each other.

I think all your other bullshit in that post means you have an agenda. Stating a point is fine the other bullshit isn't necessary. If you don't like it here then leave.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm shocked at how offended some people get on this forum, it's absolutely ridiculous.

And I'm shocked at how offended some people like you get on this forum as well - it's absolutely ridiculous.

And before I say more, please flame me for not having a high post count and therefore regard me as inexperienced

Your lack of a post count won't get you flamed, just your attitude or if you're here just to pimp something like 4X4PLAY.

but from a completely unbiased standpoint, it seems that some people take Eddie's words to heart and viciously attack anyone else that has a different opinion.

From a completely unbiased standpoint, it seems that guys like you like to viciously attack anyone that has a different opinion than yours.

Don't get me wrong, Eddie and the Wayalife crew offer extremely valuable and helpful information but everyone can make a mistake every now and then. Personally, I have used the dowel method numerous times on hard pulls and it works fantastically at keeping the lines from getting so tight that you cannot remove them.

So, the dowel method works for you and because of it, that automatically makes what I said some kind of a mistake, got it. :thumb:

So, Eddie, if this means that I somehow have an evil personal agenda, then please, by all means, cancel my membership on this forum. If that's all it takes then I don't want it. But remember that we're all adults, let's try to be polite and helpful to each other.

If the posts on this thread are all that is needed to get your panties in a bunch then, you really should just leave. I mean, if you're really an adult, that's all you have to do - no need than to be a drama queen and demand to have your membership cancelled. :rolleyes2:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have used d rings to hold straps together for a long time. I think they must have been using snatch straps and really yanking hard when it killed that guy. And if you're pulling that hard, you're just as likely to break a tow hook which can also be a projectile. If I'm so stuck that a simple tug won't work, then I pull out the winch for some slow, controlled, and safe recovery.

And let's not forget to be draping stuff over cables to weigh them down if something breaks. -I have used a d ring through my recovery bag to weigh down winch lines before. (The bag is nice and heavy, and it has a nice handle to make sure it stays on the line).

Thanks for posting this up David. People just need to calm down and use a little common sense instead of demonizing things just because of something they once read about on the internet a long time ago.

TreyJK

Ha okay, Emperor Eddie, all great and powerful. What you just posted is exactly the kind of thing I was referring to. But since I now realize that I can't get my point across to you, keep up the good work and give Overlander a treat for being such an obedient disciple! Peace out girlscout! ✌️

Top Bottom