GM 14 Bolt front and rear swap

RageKage

People have done it that way. You’d cut the tube somewhere between the pumpkin and the flange, then sleeve it and put a longer piece of tubing in to widen the axle. I wouldn’t recommend you do it that way. In addition to that being a failure point, you’d have to make damn sure everything is perfectly straight and doesn’t warp when welding which would be unlikely without access to a true-bar. Going to 1 tons is a costly project even with junkyard axles. Sit down and make a list of all the parts you’d need to build the axles and get the jeep on the road. Don’t forget to include things like steering, wheels, tone rings/brackets, bearings, etc. Then add some fat to that. You’ll see it isn’t cheap by any means. Especially if you’re trying to build custom axle housings.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I watched JKgears and gadgets build videos and was trying to judge my pricing off of that. Granted he used newer axles that required less fab work and didn’t go with air lockers like I want too. But i wanna say his entire swap cost between 8-10k. I’ll start compiling a list together and see. Prolly end up doing 2 lists. One for the axles I have and then another for if I got newer junkyard axles.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug
I watched JKgears and gadgets build videos and was trying to judge my pricing off of that. Granted he used newer axles that required less fab work and didn’t go with air lockers like I want too. But i wanna say his entire swap cost between 8-10k. I’ll start compiling a list together and see. Prolly end up doing 2 lists. One for the axles I have and then another for if I got newer junkyard axles.

Man I know it’d be great to use what you have, but I really think you’d be better off starting fresh... I know it’s tough to drop a started project though

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
Keep in mind if you change directions it isn’t a total loss. You can probably turn around and sell those axles to someone with a narrower vehicle (think samari or buggy) to help pay for the newer axles that will better fit your build.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

RageKage

I didn’t think about selling or scrapping them to help fund the project. That’s actually not a bad idea. [emoji1303] Yea I’m not one to not finish a project I’ve started, and it pains me to say it, but I think these axles are scrapped for this project. I think these axles would be better fitted under my CJ5, but that is not a plan I intend to fulfill.

TheGrendel

I didn’t think about selling or scrapping them to help fund the project. That’s actually not a bad idea. [emoji1303] Yea I’m not one to not finish a project I’ve started, and it pains me to say it, but I think these axles are scrapped for this project. I think these axles would be better fitted under my CJ5, but that is not a plan I intend to fulfill.

Truth is if you want to build junkyard axles for a JK then you need a 2005+ super duty 60 and a 99-2006 14 bolt from a gas GM 2500HD. It’s tried and true.

I mean I love seeing a 14b steerable front. But you are looking at a lot of fab work.

RageKage

Truth is if you want to build junkyard axles for a JK then you need a 2005+ super duty 60 and a 99-2006 14 bolt from a gas GM 2500HD. It’s tried and true.

I mean I love seeing a 14b steerable front. But you are looking at a lot of fab work.

Yea. I’ve pretty much come to that same conclusion. I would love to have the 14b up front but in the long run it’s just not financially beneficial when I get same close to the same strength axle for a lot less, especially one that’s tried and true like you said.

Top Bottom