2012 Rubicon no start after sitting for 5-10 minutes

Bustedback

If I shut my engine off after a long trail in low range, after about 5-10 minutes it won’t restart. If I wait a little longer, like 20-30 minutes, it starts no problem. When it doesn’t start, there’s no throttle response, it acts like it’s in theft mode. I’m pretty sure it’s a heat related problem because if I open the hood while I’m parked it starts without issue. I don’t run the engine cover, or any of the foam insulation that’s normally under the intake manifold on the left valve cover. Anybody ever run into this problem?

Typed by my very own fat fingers on my iPad or iPhone.

GTJeeper

Sounds like a different issue, but occasionally mine won’t start, the starter will click once and quit. On mine (I don’t recall the proper name) it’s the park safety sensor, the Jeep will think the auto trans is in gear when I’m trying to start, even though it’s in park. Whenever this happens I just gently push the shifter a bit more forward and turn the key at the same time, always works like that.

Again it sounds like you have a different issue but I figured I’d post this up on the off chance it’s a solution.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jjlong

Sounds like a different issue, but occasionally mine won’t start, the starter will click once and quit. On mine (I don’t recall the proper name) it’s the park safety sensor, the Jeep will think the auto trans is in gear when I’m trying to start, even though it’s in park. Whenever this happens I just gently push the shifter a bit more forward and turn the key at the same time, always works like that.

Again it sounds like you have a different issue but I figured I’d post this up on the off chance it’s a solution.

I have the ssme problem on 2008. Thank!

Bustedback

Definitely a different issue, yours sounds like a neutral safety switch, I have the six speed.

Bustedback

Your neutral safety switch is an easy one to replace, just a switch that screws into the left side of the transmission towards the rear above the pan rail.

64fabius

If you experience a no engine crank, the Wireless Control Module (WCM) may be electronically locked up. You can reset the WCM by removing the M13 20 amp yellow fuse, wait for 30 seconds and then reinstall it. Sometimes this procedure can solve the problem at all.

Bustedback

It cranks over fine, just acts like it’s not getting fuel. I might have gotten some bad gas. My buddy filled up at the same station and had issues too.

BaddestCross

Sounds like the heat soak issue on the old 4.0L... Check to see if there are any broken boots on your ignition coils. Also may be a crank position sensor or throttle position sensor?

Google XJ heat soak fix and maybe that can help guide you in the right direction.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Bustedback

Replaced the spark plugs and boots about six months ago, that’s why the foam noise insulator isn’t under the intake anymore.

BDP849

If I shut my engine off after a long trail in low range, after about 5-10 minutes it won’t restart. If I wait a little longer, like 20-30 minutes, it starts no problem. When it doesn’t start, there’s no throttle response, it acts like it’s in theft mode. I’m pretty sure it’s a heat related problem because if I open the hood while I’m parked it starts without issue. I don’t run the engine cover, or any of the foam insulation that’s normally under the intake manifold on the left valve cover. Anybody ever run into this problem?

I have a 2012 as well. A few months ago I was experiencing the same type of problem, my problem was the ground at the battery. Not the nut on the terminal, the nut on the wire at the battery.

Bustedback

I’ll check that. Today I didn’t have a single problem starting.

Top Bottom