Teraflex - Bad rep for a reason or isolated cases?

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
And here comes in the you pay for what you get mentality; Smittybilt is know to be cheap, easy & to get the job done while saving up for better parts, let's say while Teraflex is overpriced for the quality you get from their products, according to a lot of users. That said, I wouldn't be as sad to buy one of their kit for a 1/3 of the price, knowing that it isn't the best shit to get out there but at least having a bang for my bucks while saving for better & still enjoy life off road. They could do a lot better...

Only thing I also trust & love from TF is their install videos & shit. Man, they are handy, easy to follow and give great tips along the way!!! Even though what they are installing is crap... At least you get to learn shit from it, as I am a Certified Driveway Mechanic ahahah.

I quit watching the videos after they got rid of Jen. I think that was her name

Crystaliner

Doesn't know shit about wheeling
I was definitely leaning towards teraflex solely based upon their videos until being educated in Wayalife.

BenJKWrangler15

I wonder how many of you would buy a Smittybilt suspension (if there was such a thing) or pay $700 for a Smittybilt tire carrier.

Isn't Pro Comp pretty much that? A Smittybilt alias under named suspension & tires company? Or am I in the wrong thinking this way?

Sharkey

Word Ninja
And here comes in the you pay for what you get mentality; Smittybilt is know to be cheap, easy & to get the job done while saving up for better parts, let's say while Teraflex is overpriced for the quality you get from their products, according to a lot of users. That said, I wouldn't be as sad to buy one of their kit for a 1/3 of the price, knowing that it isn't the best shit to get out there but at least having a bang for my bucks while saving for better & still enjoy life off road. They could do a lot better...

Only thing I also trust & love from TF is their install videos & shit. Man, they are handy, easy to follow and give great tips along the way!!! Even though what they are installing is crap... At least you get to learn shit from it, as I am a Certified Driveway Mechanic ahahah.

And all of that is great until the "bang for the buck" part fails off road. Then you are screwed and you will be wishing you had saved a little longer and purchased something with a proven track record. To quote my friend Eddie, "the best warranty is one you don't ever have to use."

Truly, how many of the masses have the ability and tools to replace a bushing on the trail, or weld a trackbar back together, or grind and weld a control arm mount back to a functioning status while out in the sticks or hot sun?

You can either build your rig to get you off road, or you can build your rig to get you home. I choose the latter but to each their own.

Last edited:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
And all of that is great until the "bang for the buck" part fails off road. Then you are screwed and you will be wishing you had saved a little longer and purchased something with a proven track record. To quote my friend Eddie, "the best warranty is one you don't ever have to use."

Truly, how many of the masses have the ability and tools to replace a bushing on the trail, or weld a trackbar back together, or grind and weld a control arm mount back to a functioning status while out in the sticks or hot sun?

You can either build your rig to get you off road, or you can build your rig to get you home. I choose the latter but to each their own.

Don't forget mcpucks old motto of "it's expensive to be cheap"

DannyD

I have run the teraflex 2.5 coil lift for a while now and when people say it's stiff their not kidding. That being said I'm happy with its performance it's not Evo by any means but I think you could do worst. The lift is fine for me now but I'm only 19 so iv hopefully got lots of jeep time left to upgrade and probably wast more money I will regret but hey that's half the fun...

Ddays

Hooked
Isn't Pro Comp pretty much that? A Smittybilt alias under named suspension & tires company? Or am I in the wrong thinking this way?

Smittybilt, Pro Comp, Rubicon Express, Poison Spyder, & G2 are all owned by Trans America, who also owns...... wait for it......4WP & 4WD. Surprise!

Last edited:

Ddays

Hooked
And speaking of this I can think of at least 3k worth of stuff I bought because I was being cheap and, well, didn't know better at the time

LOL! I was a 4WD posterboy. I do not have one thing left on my Jeep from them anymore. Expen$ive lesson learned.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
LOL! I was a 4WD posterboy. I do not have one thing left on my Jeep from them anymore. Expen$ive lesson learned.

I actually never ordered from them but I did waste money on a 2" skyjacker bb, 16" aftermarket wheels, a set of 32's, a set of 35's for said 16" wheels, terrorflex lift, shitty side steps, I could keep going but don't want to stink up this thread anymore

BenJKWrangler15

Smittybilt, Pro Comp, Rubicon Express, Poison Spyder, & G2 are all owned by Trans America, who also owns...... wait for it......4WP & 4WD. Surprise!

So who's left to trust for our lifting and off-roading purpose here? Could you name some well renown company that we can put our trust in their products and not be scammed by Trans America owned and operated company? Because I'd love to know...

One I do trust and believe in is the guys over at JCR Off Road. 100% american made and run company by transparent guys that are friendly & funny as hell.

jkwebbie

I have TF coil spacers in the rear with no issues. Like OverlanderJK and olram30 said, hard to jack those up.

I did have TF sway bar quick disconnects. They were a pain to remove/install. After several months one of the lower studs sheared off while on pavement. TF would not warranty them nor the vender. They went in the garbage and I decided never to buy anything of theirs again made out of "metal". I know it's not a major component, but that was pretty hairy trying to drive home without having the front swaybar connected.

I have the same quick disconnects and they are junk. They are a bitch to get on and off. I have to hit them with a shot or two of WD-40 and a rubber mallet to get them off and on. I can't wait to get better ones

DannyD

I learned my lesson after installing a teraflex lift and did not get the disconnects haha you justified my choice

dannymalkin

I have the front swaybar discos, and I actually like the actual link (although it maybe overpriced). The part that is horrible is the bracket that holds them when disconnected. I rubbed on them with stock backspacing, and they said I need 4.5" or lower. So I used them after I got wheels with 3.5" of backspacing, and they still hit the tire. In the trash they went.

Slavens

Caught the Bug
So who's left to trust for our lifting and off-roading purpose here? Could you name some well renown company that we can put our trust in their products and not be scammed by Trans America owned and operated company? Because I'd love to know...

One I do trust and believe in is the guys over at JCR Off Road. 100% american made and run company by transparent guys that are friendly & funny as hell.

Starts a thread bashing Teraflex and ends thread with " One I do trust and believe in is the guys over at JCR Off Road. 100% american made and run company by transparent guys that are friendly & funny as hell" . Strong :clap2:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door

Evo mfg, full traction, rancho, and Currie are just a few to name lift wise. As far as bumpers and other parts you have Evo mfg, rancho, dynomax, rock hard, and crawler concepts are just a few more to name.

Slavens

Caught the Bug
Evo mfg, full traction, rancho, and Currie are just a few to name lift wise. As far as bumpers and other parts you have Evo mfg, rancho, dynomax, rock hard, and crawler concepts are just a few more to name.

You left out Dick Cepek or was that just a West Coast shop? ..lol

Top Bottom