Watcha cookin'?

Andy5160

Hooked
Recently I switched to Hexclad and as long as the pan seasoned right and temperature is properly controlled it is very nice pan to work with. The handle is the most comfortable one I worked with.

TrailHunter

Hooked
Recently I switched to Hexclad and as long as the pan seasoned right and temperature is properly controlled it is very nice pan to work with. The handle is the most comfortable one I worked with.
That was my initial choice.. but a lot of reviews said the nonstick doesn't last. Are saying you season it like Cast or Carbon?

Hex non stick is a PTFE coating… thats not an option.

Last edited:

Andy5160

Hooked
That was my initial choice.. but a lot of reviews said the nonstick doesn't last. Are saying you season it like Cast or Carbon?

Hex non stick is a PTFE coating… thats not an option.
Dont have it for long to say how long will the coating last but we shall see.you do have to season it like cast iron. I did it once and it was fine going forward. My lecreuset had to be seasoned a number of times I recall.

TrailHunter

Hooked
Lard is the best for seasoning.
Flavor maybe but it has a low smoke point so really not great.
i guess it depends on the pan. On our cast iron we use avocado or grape seed. On the one carbon steel crepe pan that never sees high temps the manufacturer suggested lard. Once it’s seasoned you shouldn’t taste the seasoning oil.
The Wife ordered some Tallow recently which I could use... But I ordered a big bottle of Grape Seed oil along with a Matfer 12" Pan. We'll see how it goes.

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
If you did it again would you get an UDS? I have always wanted one but can’t get myself to make or buy one.

yeah, I love that thing. I got the barrel for free and had all the hardware so it basically just took a little time and I had to buy the Weber grille grate. It holds temp pretty damn well. Not something I would leave running while I was away for very long though. I use a mix of wood and lump charcoal in the fire basket and get much better flavor than the Traeger.

Top Bottom