Anyone have the LOD Destroyer Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier?

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
So what makes one select the LOD Destroyer Rear Shorty vs a Poison Spyder RockBrawler II? To me they look similar, PS might even look less busy. I'm torn so someone help me out here. I have a LOD Midwidth on the front so I'm already a fan. And I'm not going to add all of the accessories, so I just need a kick@ss bumper + tire carrier. Thanks!

At least with the Lod destroyer series, the tire carrier is "linked" but can easily be detached from the tail gate to open independently. Truthfully, since you aren't getting any of the accessories I can't see that feature being a benefit to you since to it's appears to only useful for attaching and removing the racks/gas can holders etc.

Speaking only to what I have read, the PS had a tendency to rattle no matter what you do it. I don't have any personal experience with that though.

Eugene

That isn't an available option. But the hitch that comes in it is rated to 3500lbs.

By that do you mean the Destroyer rear bumper doesn't fit if there is a factory tow hitch? I don't really have plans to tow anything so the rating isn't critical but it will be a problem if the bumper is delivered and won't fit with my factory tow hitch.

Trail JK

By that do you mean the Destroyer rear bumper doesn't fit if there is a factory tow hitch? I don't really have plans to tow anything so the rating isn't critical but it will be a problem if the bumper is delivered and won't fit with my factory tow hitch.

It comes with a tow hitch. You would remove the factory hitch during installation of the bumper.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy

It comes with a tow hitch. You would remove the factory hitch during installation of the bumper.

What Trail JK said. It comes with a hitch, you have to remove yours in order to install the bumper.

Rubicon310

Installed the rear bumper with tire carrier yesterday. It took me 4 hours alone. I could of done it in 2.5-3 hours if I wouldn't of been babysitting my daughter while she was selling Girl Scout cookies in my driveway and if I had the correct tools.

I didn't have the 5/8 long drill bit required for drilling the cross member and I didn't have the 1 1/2 inch socket for the spindle nut.

Overall all, the bumper is great. Aligning the bumper was super easy and only took me 5-10 minutes.

I lifted the bumper with a piece of wood and jack under it. Bolted it into place with the 4 stock bolts. Then removed the jack and slid it towards the rear so that I had the jack directly below the hitch. Then, I jacked it up until I saw the body of the jeep lifting up. I took my measurements and both sides and middle were 1/2 inch from the body line. It worked out perfectly that way.

My only 2 complaint are that no torque specs are listed for any of the bolts. I tightened all 10 bumper to frame bolts as hard as I could. My other complaint would Be that replacing the lights requires removing the complete bumper.

I need to make a few adjustments today but otherwise I'm pretty much done.

Great product. Now if I could only get them to hurry and ship out all the accessories I bought with it (rotopax, powertank, hilift brackets etc).

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

The BAD Influence

Caught the Bug
What Trail JK said. It comes with a hitch, you have to remove yours in order to install the bumper.

This.
Unlike alot of other aftermarket bumpers which have a receiver hitch, LoD's bolt into the rear crossmember allowing you to retain full 3500 lb tow rating. If you look at other bumbers with a receiver they will state the hitch is not to be used for towing.

GraniteCrystal

Installed the rear bumper with tire carrier yesterday. It took me 4 hours alone. I could of done it in 2.5-3 hours if I wouldn't of been babysitting my daughter while she was selling Girl Scout cookies in my driveway and if I had the correct tools.

I didn't have the 5/8 long drill bit required for drilling the cross member and I didn't have the 1 1/2 inch socket for the spindle nut.

Overall all, the bumper is great. Aligning the bumper was super easy and only took me 5-10 minutes.

I lifted the bumper with a piece of wood and jack under it. Bolted it into place with the 4 stock bolts. Then removed the jack and slid it towards the rear so that I had the jack directly below the hitch. Then, I jacked it up until I saw the body of the jeep lifting up. I took my measurements and both sides and middle were 1/2 inch from the body line. It worked out perfectly that way.

My only 2 complaint are that no torque specs are listed for any of the bolts. I tightened all 10 bumper to frame bolts as hard as I could. My other complaint would Be that replacing the lights requires removing the complete bumper.

I need to make a few adjustments today but otherwise I'm pretty much done.

Great product. Now if I could only get them to hurry and ship out all the accessories I bought with it (rotopax, powertank, hilift brackets etc).

Thanks for sharing the tips. Need to pick up those parts myself before mine gets here. Throw up some pics too if you have any.

Rubicon310

Quick question.

Considering that the instructions don't call for loctite and there are no lock washers that came inside of the hardware bag, do you think this will be a problem? I'm trying to avoid a repeat of teralfex tire carrier issue. Should I add lock washers and or loctite? IMG_8432.jpg

PATRIOTKJM

Quick question.

Considering that the instructions don't call for loctite and there are no lock washers that came inside of the hardware bag, do you think this will be a problem? I'm trying to avoid a repeat of teralfex tire carrier issue. Should I add lock washers and or loctite? View attachment 243167

I would definitely use loctite or replace nuts with locknuts

mauijim

Well I pulled the trigger yesterday and ordered it. Shipping next Tuesday. Watched the YouTube video on the install and looks straight forward. I like the loctite or nylocks idea. I'll post pics and tips that I encounter.

Rottenbelly

Well I pulled the trigger yesterday and ordered it. Shipping next Tuesday. Watched the YouTube video on the install and looks straight forward. I like the loctite or nylocks idea. I'll post pics and tips that I encounter.

Nice, I ordered mine on January 28th. Hoping it gets updated to shipping soon.

Last edited:
We haven't had a problem yet with just using nuts, but Locktite is always a good idea, especially for a part that will be subject to stress like the tire mount :)

Quick question.

Considering that the instructions don't call for loctite and there are no lock washers that came inside of the hardware bag, do you think this will be a problem? I'm trying to avoid a repeat of teralfex tire carrier issue. Should I add lock washers and or loctite? View attachment 243167

FredBMOC

I don't want to be negative but my understanding is that LOD is way behind on their shipments of Destroyer bumpers. I ordered on January 4th both the front and rear bumpers and have not received either as of yet. Good things come to those who wait! ( I hope!) :shock:

mauijim

I don't want to be negative but my understanding is that LOD is way behind on their shipments of Destroyer bumpers. I ordered on January 4th both the front and rear bumpers and have not received either as of yet. Good things come to those who wait! ( I hope!) :shock:

Really?.... they gave me a shipping date of next Tuesday....oh well..I can wait it's winter

Top Bottom