Jeep Comms

YDAJC

Running Rugged Dual band with a hand held. Install was simple and comms are fantastic. Easily get a few miles of range. The handheld is nice of spotter driver comms. Only a few of us are running the Dual band so I still have a Cobra
75. The digital radio far outperforms the CB.

Cheers

bhaner

Looking into GMRS again. What size of antenna do I need to make this work?

I have one of the Midland radios on the way... It looks to have the standard CB style antenna hookup.

RSQCON

For years I ran a Cobra 75 because thats what everyone else had. Last year I went and got my ham license and will not CB anymore. Just got back from camping at Rubicon Springs and out of 7 rigs 3 of us had CBs. I told the rest of the group to invest in some FRS/GMRS radios. I had 3 older Motorola Talkabout radios that I passed out to those who didn't have any comms and then used my Anyone 878 to communicate. I also programmed in all the repeater frequencies in Tahoe, El Dorado and Rubicon as a means of communicating if we had an emergency. The FRS channels worked much better than CB channels the only reason I don't get rid of my CB at this point is because I am not hurting for room in the Jeep.

In summary while most people use CB its simply because they don't want to put the time, effort or money in learning about ham radios. Rugged Radios are NOT what I consider a ham radio, in fact I would highly recommend against Rugged as they have frequencies programmed that are licensed and that does not give any of us the right to use them. Do a little research and you'll see what I am talking about. I would highly recommend you buy a FCC Part 90 certified ham radio. If you get your license great you have free range and can communicate in both simplex (line of sight) or duplex via repeaters (in other words you can talk to someone in Lake Tahoe while you are sipping a beverage at Rubicon Springs). If you don't get your ham license you can still get your GMRS license (no test required) to use those channels and you can also use all the FRS (Family Radio Service) channels.

ninemmbill

In summary while most people use CB its simply because they don't want to put the time, effort or money in learning about ham radios. Rugged Radios are NOT what I consider a ham radio, in fact I would highly recommend against Rugged as they have frequencies programmed that are licensed and that does not give any of us the right to use them. Do a little research and you'll see what I am talking about. I would highly recommend you buy a FCC Part 90 certified ham radio. If you get your license great you have free range and can communicate in both simplex (line of sight) or duplex via repeaters (in other words you can talk to someone in Lake Tahoe while you are sipping a beverage at Rubicon Springs). If you don't get your ham license you can still get your GMRS license (no test required) to use those channels and you can also use all the FRS (Family Radio Service) channels.

While I do recommend everyone get at least their Technicians License from the FCC. The information about Rugged Radios is incorrect. They have worked out a deal with the FCC so that people in certain areas can indeed use some channels for recreational purposes. There are other reasons not to choose Rugged, but you will not be breaking FCC regulations by using them.
https://www.ruggedradios.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=335

Basscat

What are you guys using for comms in your rigs? I live in western WA, very mountainous, and am looking for something that will work in the mountains for both in-vehicle and out-of-vehicle. Thinking of HAM but not sure if practical.

CB for general trail riding and GMRS 40 watt for higher capability

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom