JK Front Dana 44 Rubicon axle into a WJ (99-04), ProRock 44 Swap

crgeorge

Found out today that the noise is not related to the driveline angle. So moved caster up to about 7 currently. If I were to redo this swap, I would order the axle with extra built-in caster to optimize everything.

I am getting ready to do this same swap into my WJ and I have re-read your write up about 6 times.

When you say you'd have extra caster built in are you referring to the coil bracket angle because to change caster the C's would have to be re-welded on at a different angle. The Clayton kit calls for bracket angle of 6.50*. How much extra do you think it needs?

Also, when it comes to the drag link, I was going to use the same DL and bolt it up to the factor pitman arm. Were you suggesting that the factory pitman needed to be reamed for the new DL? What a bout a new insert instead?

Anything else you'd suggest that you'd do differently?

Thank you,
Chad.

WJCO

Meme King
I am getting ready to do this same swap into my WJ and I have re-read your write up about 6 times.

When you say you'd have extra caster built in are you referring to the coil bracket angle because to change caster the C's would have to be re-welded on at a different angle. The Clayton kit calls for bracket angle of 6.50*. How much extra do you think it needs?

Also, when it comes to the drag link, I was going to use the same DL and bolt it up to the factor pitman arm. Were you suggesting that the factory pitman needed to be reamed for the new DL? What a bout a new insert instead?

Anything else you'd suggest that you'd do differently?

Thank you,
Chad.

Welcome to Wayalife. As far as the extra caster, it is indeed the Cs welded in a new location (not the coil brackets). Not sure what housing you're using, but if you're going with a Dynatrac ProRock 44, you can request that they add the additional caster when they build the housing. If you are going with a stock JK housing, it would be a ton of work to re-weld the Cs and I wouldn't recommend it. In the drawing below from Dynatrac, it is better explained of how this works. As far as the Clayton bracket kit, just do whatever their instructions say, that is what Dynatrac did for mine. I went with the standard housing because I didn't know where I would end up, and I knew of two other builds that used an OEM JK housing with no issues. However, now that it's done, I wished I would have had Dynatrac build in the extra caster because it would have helped the pinion angle.

adsf.jpg

As far as the drag link, I explained it in a prior post but see picture below. I literally had a machine shop cut off the upper end of a Synergy drag link and drill and re-thread it to accept a factory WJ upper end link. So at any point that the joint end fails, I can go to any auto parts store and get a WJ replacement. However, I did have to get a jam nut from JKS to keep that link end secure to the Synergy bar. Now the lower end of the drag link I would have to get from Synergy if it wears out. My steering box, pitman arm, and upper link are 100% factory WJ with no reaming needed. I wish I had made the drag link about 1/4" shorter, It's bottomed out and my steering wheel is slightly crooked. Glad it's not a daily driver or it would bug the shit out of me.

1031161509.jpg

Hope that helps.

97mule

Good job WJCO, i am looking for dana 44s F&R out of a Rubicon with 4:10s and ele lockers. Still thinking about a pro-rock but when i suggested this to my BANKER (wife), she was ok with it until
she saw the price. After 6mos out west , i have the jeep back in texas for much needed maintenance & upgrades, Hence the axles!:D

WJCO

Meme King
Good job WJCO, i am looking for dana 44s F&R out of a Rubicon with 4:10s and ele lockers. Still thinking about a pro-rock but when i suggested this to my BANKER (wife), she was ok with it until
she saw the price. After 6mos out west , i have the jeep back in texas for much needed maintenance & upgrades, Hence the axles!:D

Good luck. Hope it works out well.

WJCO

Meme King
Just an update. Coming up shortly, I will have had this axle on the WJ for a year. Just did another service on it, and all looks good inside. The axle has been great. I used the jeep more in the last year than I actually planned on and I'm happy with the performance. Nearly all miles have been trail miles. Axle has been underwater, in deep snow, hit rocks straight on, and Jeep has slid off of rocks with the axle landing on rocks. The steering has been good as well including the Dynatrac shafts, ProSteer ball joints, and the Rancho knuckles. Couldn't be happier with this thing.

IMG_20171203_145623_329.jpg

IMG_20171203_145722_621.jpg

IMG_20171203_145807_644.jpg

WJCO

Meme King
About much money did you spend on this swap? Awesome write-up btw!

Thanks. More than I planned on, lol. Dynatrac can give you an accurate price. Just to make it work, you'll need new knuckles, brakes, hoses, unit bearings, track bar, etc. There were a lot of little pieces to make it work.

TrailHunter

Hooked
Thanks. More than I planned on, lol. Dynatrac can give you an accurate price. Just to make it work, you'll need new knuckles, brakes, hoses, unit bearings, track bar, etc. There were a lot of little pieces to make it work.

Well worth it! You’ve built a sweet rig! [emoji1360]

Top Bottom