ROADSIDE AMERICA : Awesome Roadside Stops Along the Way!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
3... 2... 1... BLAST OFF!! Making a stop to see Snoopy and Woodstock ride their rocket into space in Wikieup, AZ

10707180_732387650163430_1709571146_n.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
One of our favorite Roadside America attractions along U.S. 395 is located in the town of Olancha - say hello to the Iron Maiden.

10507960_717735828302592_1417169663_n.jpg

jfallon1

This first photo was from an old wagon road that wrapped around the top of a mountain outside of Jacksonville, AL. Once Forney Rd, is now an OHV park but a part of the past still remains.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1423769580.986985.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1423769783.960248.jpg
This next set is from a famous motorcycle attraction. The Tail of the Dragon is an 11 mile road that stretches from Eastern TN to Southern NC and boasts 318 curves in its short span.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1423769996.681482.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1423770439.989461.jpg

Gadget

Caught the Bug
Threads like this are my favorite kind, this one and the concrete arrows are really interesting, another good one would be Ghost towns.

jhires

And another from Central Washington. Wild Horse Wind Facility.
On the West side of the Columbia River along Interstate 90 you can go up and tour the Windmill Farm which is named after the Wild Horse monument on the east side of the river.

IMG_2506.jpg

It's hard to understand how large these windmills are until you are standing next to one of the blades. This is a real blade that was damaged during installation. So the patched it and now use it for education at the site.
IMG_2523.jpg

You can actually drive through their property to get to the open range area on the back side. If you promise not to get out of your vehicle, you don't have to sign any waivers. If you plan on getting out, then there is some paperwork to sign, otherwise, as long as you stay on the road it is fine to be there. We couldn't resist the temptation to pose our Jeeps for a picture at the base of one of the giant machines.
IMG_2557.jpg

Out the back side of the property we headed up for our real find of the day. Not a concrete Arrow, but it is an old beacon site. This one is listed on some of the maps that list the arrows. But I suspect these pics are for a different thread. :)
IMG_2561.jpg
IMG_2568_stitch.jpg

jeep4ever41

My old TJ lost in time on Highway 7 in Ontario, Canada. Circa 1998.

around4ever_fs.jpg

My 05 Rubicon on Wolf Island parked in front of one of the many towering windmills.

IMG_0083.jpg

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
Arrow.jpg

Concrete Arrow, generating station and beacon tower restoration. Exit 79, I-40 East, Milan, New Mexico near Grants.

Rharvey160

Not the best but all I had on my iPad.

Crescent City, CA
image.jpg

Somewhere around Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park, CA. I can't remember exactly where.
image.jpg

Mike_D

Loving the photos. Downloaded the Roadside app. I travel each week for work so it should make things a bit more interesting. Just playing around with with it I learned the grave of the man on the Cream of Wheat boxes is just north of my apartment. As well as a grave for what may be the only chicken to get prosthetic feet.

You read that right. Haha

Top Bottom