February thaw in Moab- The greatest mall on earth.

jeeeep

Hooked
great pics and looks like everyone had a great time!

Looks so different in the winter.

I grew up in SLC and thinking about it, we treated Moab like a seasonal location - closed during winter :crazyeyes:

great pics and looks like everyone had a great time!

Looks so different in the winter.

I grew up in SLC and thinking about it, we treated Moab like a seasonal location - closed during winter :crazyeyes:

Yeah I haven’t spent really any winters down there until now and it’s odd because their weather often mirrors what we get here in Salt Lake and the last few winters have nearly been non existent. That being said, they are supposed to get hit hard with storms this week so most of what we ran will be covered and I can’t imagine anything more difficult than slickrock covered in snow and ice.

74CJ5

Man, thanks for sharing! Great pics and it certainly makes me wish Moab was closer to FL. Last time I was there was for mountain biking not rock crawling. FL has a lot of perks but epic wheeling isn’t one of them.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Man, thanks for sharing! Great pics and it certainly makes me wish Moab was closer to FL. Last time I was there was for mountain biking not rock crawling. FL has a lot of perks but epic wheeling isn’t one of them.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Well if you ever make the trek out again we’d be happy to meet up with you for some fun. [emoji482]

Cendee

Great thread Casey. It definitely was an fun adventure. Was great to get out and meet Don and Caleb. Even though I have talked to Caleb for what seems like years!!!

I have been coming down to Moab for as long as I can remember. Being in Salt Lake City I’m only a few hours drive away, but admittedly I’ve never been down there in the winter, or at least not in my Jeep.
While I usually don’t start my Moab season, or really wheeling season for that matter, until after we go back on daylight savings, I got a call from a good friend who’d never been there before and I just couldn’t say no.

What made the trip even better, was that I randomly got talking to Don aka Clearskies here on the forum, and although it was incredibly short notice, within an hour he had booked his hotel and was ready to make the drive all the way out from California to come play in the promised land.

I didn’t get as many picture as I would have liked being that I was juggling our dogs and spotting, but here are some of what I did get. DISCLAIMER: I must also apologize for the quality of some of the pictures, I was unable to get them on my phone and had to take screen shots from our friend who was filming some of it.

Fueling up for the short, but dark drive down. Funny how even a short drive can seem so much longer in the dark.
View attachment 320375
About halfway there. Our friend and fellow WAYALIFE member Cendee decided to come along as well.
View attachment 320376
Saturday morning was a bit cloudy but soon cleared up. However it was still February so morning temps were in the teens which meant we’d hit snow at some point.

Making our way out along the Colorado River, on our way to run Top of the world
View attachment 320377
Finally, time to air down
View attachment 320378

Down low, it was mostly just wet and a little slushy, but as we started our climb up, we started running into more and more snow.
View attachment 320379
View attachment 320380

After some slipping and a little extra work, we were finally up on top and enjoying the view.
View attachment 320381
View attachment 320382
View attachment 320383
After getting some good poser shots up on the ledge, we made our way down. And thanks to the nice weather, much of the snow had melted which made things super muddy.

After heading back down, grabbing some lunch and assessing how much daylight we had left, we decided to make a quick run up hells revenge being that this was our friends first time.
Here is Don (Clearskies) making his way up an optimal ledge that is fun to play on.
View attachment 320384

Being that we got a late start and daylight was running low, we decided to head out to the overlook and play a little bit on hells gate before taking the shortcut back out.
Here is Don making his way down the entrance to hells gate.
View attachment 320385
View attachment 320386
And there goes our friend Caleb.
View attachment 320387
Don getting set to make the climb out.
View attachment 320388
View attachment 320389
View attachment 320390
And safely up and out
View attachment 320391
And here comes Caleb
View attachment 320392
Getting nice and twisty in there...
View attachment 320393
After everyone had their time to play, we decided to head back to the short cut and make our way down. I knew it was going to turn into a night run and did my best to get everyone off the tough sections before dark.
Making our way down with nothing but darkness in front.
View attachment 320394

Looks like you had a blast if i wasn't busy i would have love to join you guys but next time you go i will try to fit some time in just been so busy lately, finishing up my father in-laws brothers stuff from last year, moving to are new house and working.

Top Bottom