Reviving an old CJ7

2Cross

Caught the Bug
Been driving the CJ7 around so much I got sunburned. Sprung for a new bikini top [emoji106]
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1463708126.773948.jpg

2Cross

Caught the Bug
Continued overheating issues

After swapping out the starter, took the CJ7 out for about an hour in stop and go traffic and ambient air temp was 85 degrees F. Engine water temperature was 225 after all of this. I have been working on this for a while to get it under control. Before all of my repairs water temp would be 230 after 10 minutes. Now it is much better but I don't think it is trail worthy at this point. To summarize repairs to help:

1--Flushed coolant system and new radiator cap
2--Replaced Thermostat
3--Replaced Water pump
4--New dual electric fans with shroud installed
5--New Pertronix ignition and check timing to ensure it is advanced slightly

Now when I check water temp with temp gun I typically see a 40 degree change from the top of the radiator to the bottom.

I am considering two options:
1- Throw more money at it and get a new radiator with 4 cores instead of the 3 it has now (about $650)
2- Taking out radiator and having it reconditioned (about $150)

Wondering what the best option would be or if I should consider another option.

2Cross

Caught the Bug
Found a new radiator from radiator express for $230. Thinking that's the best way to go. Supposed to be here Friday

Last edited:

2Cross

Caught the Bug
Just back from an errand. Both hoses were hot. One hose was 210 and the other 186 and I had the heater going full blast.

Thanks for the advice. Would sure be an easy fix if there was a simple blockage or air in the system.

2Cross

Caught the Bug
Preliminary 30 minute drive did well. Temp was consistently at 210. Wasn't hot (ambient air temp about 70).
Will take it out soon on a hot day and see

Last edited:
Top Bottom