Jeep Wrangler JK - fromt 33" to 37"

Foley

Hi Guys,

a heater like Planar 2D have some big benefits over the things you named.

I have had used a heater like "mr. heater" and I cant recommend it. If you are sleeping or let dry alone the tent, maybe the gas or air heater will flip and starts a fire. Also this sort of heater gets very hot. Gas-Heaters also produce CO2 so you should never run one in a small room like a tent.

Specialy in winter you have a lot of condensations water in you tent/on the tent walls. If you have a heater like the Planar 2D, you get warm dry air in and it move the cold, wet air out. Also the Planar 2D have a sensor, so you can pree sett a temperature you like. The heater will automatically adjust the power that is needed to hold the temperature you have set.

If you are getting wet in the rain, you can hang your cloths in your tent and let them try. Its not for a week-end trip with some good weather. The Planar 2D Box I build is made for a longer trip with up to -10°, snow and ice.

To run the planar I will use my car batteries, so I dont need to carry one extra. I also will made a quick connect to my fuel tank, so I just need to plug the planar in and everything work. Dont wanna carry extra diesel in my car.

Lg

Foley

Hey,

just some random stuff. In 5 days I my JK have to pass the road safety check. So I changed the hydraulic hoses against hoses with protection. They old hoses had a slightly rubbed part. I feel better now with it.

whatsappimage2020-04sejbq.jpeg

I put some heat shrink tubing on it. I think it looks cleaner now.

whatsappimage2020-0438jdw.jpeg

My passenger side rear brake rotor dont look good. Maybe its because of the bent axle shaft. With a bent shaft the brake caliper moves and the brake pattern looks really bad. I also cleaned and greased the caliper swim mount. Lets hope for the best. Would be nice if I don't have to buy a new break rotor.

whatsappimage2020-04n8kqv.jpeg

At least I finally got some battery covers. Looks cleaner now.

whatsappimage2020-04a6j7s.jpeg

For those who are interested in hydraulic assist. I think those rams a great. My JK is my Daily Driver so first I was very curios about the steering. But at they end I can promises you, that the steering feels better than before. The smal steering wheel corrugations you have to do are complete gone.

I also made a quick video while driving on the Autobahn. I dont want to go faster because of the tires - not because of the hydro assist.

A few pages ago I wrote that I wanted to go with a Warn 8274 winch. Because the 8274 don't fit the AEV bumper, the winch was mounted to the Cherokee. Finally I found a single thread where someone modified the AEV Bumper to fit the 8274. So stay tuned. For now on I will start posting photos of trying to fit the 8274 into the AEV bumper.

Sample photo:

image_17937eajph.jpg

Also, there is an update of our cares. We won't use the Wrangler for our overlanding trips and Hollidays. To replace the JK we bought a Toyota Landcruiser/Prado 150. It have a 2.8 liter Diesel, "old" 6 speed automatic with torque converter, low range and full time 4WD. Frame and some Bodyparts are the same as the Lexus 470 you can get in the US.

We are quite happy so far. Way more space than in our 2 Door JK. Way more driving comfort, way more fuel effectively. I already ordered a 150 Liter spare tank, so we have 237 liter diesel on board. That should be a good range.

I know it's not a Jeep. If the photos violate rules, please delete them.

1707877.024999998_img6uj6s.jpg

17641177.42_img_3697-tqjqx.jpg

18548714.845000003_imtwj9v.jpg

Lg

Last edited:

Foley

Looks like another project! They are cool old school winches [emoji106]

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Yes! They are. I maybe go with a Gigglepin. Don't know if you can buy Gigglepin in the US. This is a modified version of the 8274. It have a "Compressed air freewheel", so you have 0 resisted when pulling the cable out. Also you have 2 Motor - so you have double the power. Also there a wider spools, that make mounting longer ropes easy.

https://www.allrad-schmitt.com/shop...00-seilwinde-12v-twin-motor-competition-winch

Lg

fiend

Caught the Bug
Yes! They are. I maybe go with a Gigglepin. Don't know if you can buy Gigglepin in the US. This is a modified version of the 8274. It have a "Compressed air freewheel", so you have 0 resisted when pulling the cable out. Also you have 2 Motor - so you have double the power. Also there a wider spools, that make mounting longer ropes easy.

https://www.allrad-schmitt.com/shop...00-seilwinde-12v-twin-motor-competition-winch

Lg

Wow. More than twice the cost of high end winches in the US. I suppose there’s a market, but I’d be hard pressed to spend so much for a winch.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Foley

A little teaser: 40 Toyos and new rims

Hey,

just a little teaser. My 40" Toyo M/Ts and Bawarrion BonZ Beadlocks arrived. Should be a little challenging to fit this with my 2,5" custom suspension.

I think I will go up an inch. Also I think I need some adjustable control arms for my rear, to move my rear axle a little more to my rear bumper.

b1fff6fe-b57e-4930-8cqok9l.jpg

whatsappimage2020-05hejq9.jpeg

Lg

Last edited:

wjtstudios

Hooked
Congrats, a bunch of trimming and the adjustable arms, you can get them to fit. But you not going to have a lot of up travel before you’re into your bumps.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Foley

Congrats, a bunch of trimming and the adjustable arms, you can get them to fit. But you not going to have a lot of up travel before you’re into your bumps.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Hi,

I think we should look at those tire as a 38" and not a 40". The tire measure 37,7" (unmounted) Tomorrow I will mount the first one. Normally the tire gets a little smaller when mounted on a rim. So I hope I don't loose much up travel like with a real 40" tire (like the Nittos or STT Pro).

Do you have a recommendation, witch adjustable rear control arms I should buy?

Thank you.

Lg

wjtstudios

Hooked
Hi,

I think we should look at those tire as a 38" and not a 40". The tire measure 37,7" (unmounted) Tomorrow I will mount the first one. Normally the tire gets a little smaller when mounted on a rim. So I hope I don't loose much up travel like with a real 40" tire (like the Nittos or STT Pro).

Do you have a recommendation, witch adjustable rear control arms I should buy?

Thank you.

Lg

I run EVOs and wouldn’t use anything else. They taken a beating and are still perfectly straight.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Foley

Hi,

I have mounted the Toyos now. I have to say that they BonZ Beadlock is way better to mount than the AEV Pintler Beadlock. The threads are so more massive. It doesn't feel like you would strip the threads any minute like on the AEV.

46858e29-99a6-456d-88a7j4n.jpg

That will be very interesting to fit those 40" ...

0131a891-5ede-4ccd-8dtljpk.jpg

0b97eea5-3936-4465-82fvkpo.jpg

My Maxxis Trepador need to go. I do not use them really often and for the money I have bought the Toyos.

f8f4495e-b790-4d36-99e3k3e.jpg

There are some parts on the way. Just waiting for them.

- Currier control arms rear axle
- 3,5" AEV Springs
- wheel spacers

I really would love to go with EVO control arms. But they dont have a TÜV certification. So there is no way to run them street legal. Also I really hope that I can stay with my 2,5" springs and do not need the 3,5". But I think that isn't possible...

Stay tuned!

fiend

Caught the Bug
Nice. I think you’re going to have to trim that front bumper or swap it out for a stubby.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Foley

Hi,

If started the 37" to 40" conversion. Thanks to Eddi I went "the right way" and cut a lot of my pinch seam and didnt move the axle back with the lower controll arms.

2d826b33-345c-4cb2-8crrj6o.jpg

To cover the foam I'm planing using flex seal. Hope I will get mine tomorrow.

The rear pinch seam I dont know how much I can cut because of the Gobi mount. I anyway planing to test drive it to see where the tires are rubbing. So maybe there isnt much cuting.

0a702b79-70d1-4f49-885cjz9.jpg

Until now the 2,5" AEV coils are in there. I planing to go with 3,5" AEV coils to get a little more up travel.

There is much work to do. I have to do a custom job on my AEV rear bumper to make them fit. I will go with the full wide, so it will be a lot of welding and not just cutting of a stubby one. Also there is custom work on the front to do. The bumper need to be widen to fit our rules.

Lg

Last edited:

fiend

Caught the Bug
Hi,

If started the 37" to 40" conversion. Thanks to Eddi I went "the right way" and cut a lot of my pinch seam and didnt move the axle back with the lower controll arms.

2d826b33-345c-4cb2-8crrj6o.jpg

To cover the foam I'm planing using flex seal. Hope I will get mine tomorrow.

The rear pinch seam I dont know how much I can cut because of the Gobi mount. I anyway planing to test drive it to see where the tires are rubbing. So maybe there isnt much cuting.

0a702b79-70d1-4f49-885cjz9.jpg

Until now the 2,5" AEV coils are in there. I planing to go with 3,5" AEV coils to get a little more up travel.

There is much work to do. I have to do a custom job on my AEV rear bumper to make them fit. I will go with the full wide, so it will be a lot of welding and not just cutting of a stubby one. Also there is custom work on the front to do. The bumper need to be widen to fit our rules.

Lg

Nice. I’ll be a JK on 40s is a rare sight in Germany.

Foley

Nice. I’ll be a JK on 40s is a rare sight in Germany.

Thanks. Yep, I know one other JK and three JKUs on 40s in Germany. But the JK and one of the JKU isn't street legal because of stubby bumpers, tire wider than fenders and so on. Its very very hard to build a street legal JK/JKU on 40s.

Top Bottom