M37 Barn find

RockingK

Cool, and no matter what you decide to do with it, its an incredible find.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Way cool! I’m with Ddays and make it a runner and see where it leads you after you work the kinks out. Awesome friend and again Way cool!

Voting for original and fix what needs to be fixed. Nostalgia is fun!

I would keep it as original as safely possible. Depending on how the brakes and suspension feel, I would recommend upgrading them so I knew when I drove it I would be able to control it.

Congratulations on the great find! Enjoy bringing her back to life in the manner you see fit!

What a great friend you have! That truck is so cool

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Hell of a find! Unbelievable what is still hiding out in barns around the country.

Very cool, either way you go I know you'll do it right!

Sent from my SM-G955U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Id re-power with a Cummins out of a ram

So cool! Congrats!

Keep it classy and stock, the way it was intended to be.

Sent from my SM-G930V using WAYALIFE mobile app

That’s an awesome find! I vote close to original as possible! And Yosemite Sam would make for a great name [emoji106]

Sorry for the slow response,

Well I think “Yosemite Sam” it is👍

I decided to attack it one step at a time, starting with making it a solid driver. I found many parts on line to restore/rebuild the basic mechanical systems and may convert the 24 volt system to 12v.

I thought about a 6BT Cummins swap, but from what I read it is a bit long, 4BT’s would fit better. Going to lower my expectations on street performance and see if I can dial in what’s there to maximize ranch and back woods performance, as that’s kinda already in its DNA, maybe add a 15k Braden PTO winch replace the missing shovel, axe and pick set that goes on the tailgate etc.

I am going to register it in the M37 site and see if I can get a history ....Army, Navy, MC, Air Force etc. on Sam and see where that directs me...

Thanks for the great feedback and support!

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Just ran across your barn find. Pretty awesome truck! Can’t wait to see what you do with it!

RockingK

Just ran across your barn find. Pretty awesome truck! Can’t wait to see what you do with it!

Thanks bud,
I had hoped to get it here weeks ago but winter came and so it sits in Oregon. Looking at the first week of April now. Stay tuned👍

Samuelh3

Caught the Bug
Wow that thing really is sweet. I’d definitely go with a functional restore. Get all the lights, engine, mechanical stuff working fully and drive it as is. I’d try to find a way to lock that patina in so doesn’t spread any further without losing the look. It looks awesome.

RockingK

Wow that thing really is sweet. I’d definitely go with a functional restore. Get all the lights, engine, mechanical stuff working fully and drive it as is. I’d try to find a way to lock that patina in so doesn’t spread any further without losing the look. It looks awesome.

Great idea, haven’t even thought about the outside, but shooting a semi/flat clear save and bring out the patina:thumb:

jeeeep

Hooked
wow that is clean!

personally, I'd get it road worthy , do a cosmetic makeover and let the parade organizers know I'm available.

What a sweet ride. :thumb:

looking forward to see what you do with it.

RockingK

Yosemite Sam made it!

Sam made the journey from North East Oregon to the Rocking K Ranch. First things on the list.... brakes, cooling system and fuel system. Found most of the parts online. Should be a driver after that. Stay tuned:thumb: 87C18AB7-D781-422C-AF06-9BF74211014C.jpg

RockingK

Starting point pics

So Easter was celebrated with family and friends and I hope everyone enjoyed theirs. Now I am doing a photo document for disassembly and reference for when it goes back together. I found a remake water pump from China for cheap and thought I would try it. Still trying to find an original. Now that I have the data plate info. I should be able to decode where it was born and where it ended up...Marines, Army, Navy and Air Force. I am finding that they made these from 1951-1968 as a 3/4 ton 4x4 G741 totaling 115,838 units. It has the original 230 Cl / 3.8L inline flathead 6 putting out 78hp. It has an NP420 4 speed w/ NP200 transfer case w/ 1.96:1 low and 5.83:1 gear ratio. Top speed is 45mph.

Here are a few EFI Ning pics. 316EB0E8-3C5C-4958-9234-8E10D114C18B.jpg F699A862-2159-457D-90D2-FB4EDB8486DE.jpg 16869F9B-D84E-48D7-AE94-343F6295C19B.jpg CD192667-6068-4CAE-AAA9-4C32DC85A9EC.jpg 1A037B9F-2312-445F-8D7B-7AC91CB46C0D.jpg 70839CD6-7961-405D-92E2-8B0C0E9B9303.jpg 38AE4789-89FF-4E93-802A-A8F263BD452E.jpg 8377D8A2-6F99-4F18-97E2-F5AB9CD1AB39.jpg

Jsouder53

Hooked
Thanks bud, my neighbor asked me often “where the heck is Yosemite Sam?” I think your the one who convinced me to name him that. Well it stuck:thumb:

I’m honored to be the convincing vote for the name :clap2:

Now that I have the data plate info. I should be able to decode where it was born and where it ended up...Marines, Army, Navy and Air Force. I am finding that they made these from 1951-1968

I can’t wait to hear about the past of Yosemite Sam!

Top Bottom