ROOF TOP TENT : What Should We Get?

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
I’m going to try out the smittybilt. I haven’t heard a complaint yet. Plus I camp with dick heads who like to throw rocks. So I’ll go with something cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

benatc1

Hooked
I’m going to try out the smittybilt. I haven’t heard a complaint yet. Plus I camp with dick heads who like to throw rocks. So I’ll go with something cheap.

LOL - they are pretty cheap. Hard not to consider one.
One of the doctors I work with has one on his GMC, he really likes it. Uses it a bunch with his kids and hasnt had any issues. Mainly he went that route because it was much cheaper and wasn't sure how much use it would get but its been awesome according to him. But, lots of factors for you, I'm sure Eddie...

Sent from my SM-N960U using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
One of the doctors I work with has one on his GMC, he really likes it. Uses it a bunch with his kids and hasnt had any issues. Mainly he went that route because it was much cheaper and wasn't sure how much use it would get but its been awesome according to him. But, lots of factors for you, I'm sure Eddie...

I like the price of them for sure. My biggest concern was how long it would take to setup. Right now, I can setup and tear down my old camping tent in minutes. I've seen people with roof top tents spend way longer setting up and folding what they have up and it always looks like a pain.

TrailHunter

Hooked
I like the price of them for sure. My biggest concern was how long it would take to setup. Right now, I can setup and tear down my old camping tent in minutes. I've seen people with roof top tents spend way longer setting up and folding what they have up and it always looks like a pain.

Seems like the hardshell or "clamshell" tents are the quickest.... but offer less room. Maybe ok for 1 or 2 people.

Brute

Hooked
Seems like the hardshell or "clamshell" tents are the quickest.... but offer less room. Maybe ok for 1 or 2 people.

The JB on my trailer is easily wide enough for three...but I would get the smaller version for the truck...easily fit two and a Tessa...

TrailHunter

Hooked
The JB on my trailer is easily wide enough for three...but I would get the smaller version for the truck...easily fit two and a Tessa...

Holy Shit!! $3500 for one of their tents?? Does it come with a Kitchen and a Flat Screen TV?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The price tag of some of these options is what's hardest for me to pull the trigger on. While Cindy and I love to camp, we also love staying in historic town and hotels. For the money, you can stay in a LOT of really nice hotels and I'm not opposed to pitching a tent if needed or wanted.

TrailHunter

Hooked
The price tag of some of these options is what's hardest for me to pull the trigger on. While Cindy and I love to camp, we also love staying in historic town and hotels. For the money, you can stay in a LOT of really nice hotels and I'm not opposed to pitching a tent if needed or wanted.

I'm with you on this one. Old school Hotel or Cabin if you can..... or $200 tent. The RTT's are cool though..... just bulky and mucho dinero.

Brute

Hooked
I'm with you on this one. Old school Hotel or Cabin if you can..... or $200 tent. The RTT's are cool though..... just bulky and mucho dinero.

Until you start camping in one...you’ll not want to sleep on the ground again. Up here in the PNW, rain is not uncommon...you roll into a campsite late, it’s raining...60 seconds later your in a nice tent off the ground and loving life...in the morning, the ground is muddy...but not your tent. Don’t have to roll up the sleeping bags...don’t have to let air out of the pads...you even have your pillows from your bed...and it takes 90 seconds to button up and go...

Like everything in life, you get what you pay for...

I’ll be camping up at Staircase in the Olympic Peninsula this Wednesday...I’ll take pics

TrailHunter

Hooked
Until you start camping in one...you’ll not want to sleep on the ground again. Up here in the PNW, rain is not uncommon...you roll into a campsite late, it’s raining...60 seconds later your in a nice tent off the ground and loving life...in the morning, the ground is muddy...but not your tent. Don’t have to roll up the sleeping bags...don’t have to let air out of the pads...you even have your pillows from your bed...and it takes 90 seconds to button up and go...

Like everything in life, you get what you pay for...

I’ll be camping up at Staircase in the Olympic Peninsula this Wednesday...I’ll take pics

Well.... when you put it that way... Lol. I really like them on an offroad trailer setup like you have. Yeah, take pics. :thumb:

TrailHunter

Hooked
I have a dumb question.... on the hard shell tents.... if it rains, or there is morning dew, and you close up the tent and go wheeling or drive all day (or a few days) .... when you open it back up, does it smell like mildew? Any Mold issues?

Brute

Hooked
I have a dumb question.... on the hard shell tents.... if it rains, or there is morning dew, and you close up the tent and go wheeling or drive all day (or a few days) .... when you open it back up, does it smell like mildew? Any Mold issues?

No...they have vents to allow a little bit of circulation while buttoned up. On the ceiling, there is a reversible fan that can pull air out to prevent condensation...

piginajeep

The Original Smartass

That’s my issue with spending that kinda money. If I’m honest about it. I might use it 3x a year. I’m not willing to spend a ton of money on something that doesn’t get used that often.

I spoke to Hart at 4wheel parts. He said he gets good feedback on it. I trust what he says.

Top Bottom