Rock Hard Skids - Poor Design!

bhaner

Fixed it. 1/4" AR-450 should do the trick.

Attachments

• 20191204_180125.jpg
    20191204_180125.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 178

danford.lau

Caught the Bug
Not exactly sure where its been hit since then... but its been hit for sure... Still good so far... and if makes contact again, I’ll bang it all out and start over.

Lol!! [emoji23]

Mine was rattling like crazy .. kept trying to bend it back or shim it . Went on the rubicon and bashed it a few times .. think it’s solidly smashed up against the exhaust now . No more rattle

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

fiend

Caught the Bug
A lot of the aftermarket plates are basically flat sheets of steel. Any half competent engineer will tell you that’s not very strong. Structures like that are stronger with bends. Which is probably why the stock transfer case skid has them. Adjustments.JPG

Last edited:

jdofmemi

Mine was rattling like crazy .. kept trying to bend it back or shim it . Went on the rubicon and bashed it a few times .. think it’s solidly smashed up against the exhaust now . No more rattle

That's where mine is. If it is hard against the pipe, no rattles.

Once I change out the crossmember, I'm sure it will rattle again.

highoctane

Caught the Bug
Nothing against RH4x4. They are selling a product people will buy. But IMO this is why aftermarket belly pan skid plates are a waste of money. The factory transfer case skid plate is sufficient. These skid plates have no support, and are essentially a plate plate of metal with no reinforcement tubes or bars to help them keep their shape. I can see putting an engine and auto transmission skid plate in, but the rest don’t hold their shape, trap in heat and trail debris, and can mask oil leaks and other unseen wear and tear.

With that being said, at least it did it’s job and protected the xfer case. Wether or not it was worth the money over the free one that came on your Jeep is open for debate though.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Last edited:
Fixed it. 1/4" AR-450 should do the trick.

I bet that’ll work well, bro. Sometimes, at work, I build these mine shaft openings out of AR-500. They last for years of getting pummeled with 5000 pound granite boulders.

Once a year, I pull off my full belly pan setup and put it on the press at work to reshape. Then I blast and zinc prime everything. This year I thought about welding stiffeners on the inside of one of my skids. You might consider that in the future.

I built this little diff slider a couple months ago and immediately bent the pinion guard. Took it off and welded a 1/2” plate flat on the inside and smashed it again. No bend. Once again, doubling up the plates is a good idea.

IMG_2511.jpg

PS, I could give a fuck about skid plates making my Jeep heavy

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Top Bottom