EAST Meets WEST: August 2020 Moab/Telluride Planning Thread

Ddays

Hooked
I’ll be renting a condo for sure. We can you that as a base camp/ storage for the run.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

I'll have two Jeeps and 4 people going with me so I more than likely will too. It'd be nice to have a couple back to back so we'd have space to spread out the group & have two garages to put stuff in.

Weebz

Caught the Bug
I'll have two Jeeps and 4 people going with me so I more than likely will too. It'd be nice to have a couple back to back so we'd have space to spread out the group & have two garages to put stuff in.

You mean one garage right? I’m sleeping in the other. Lol

wjtstudios

Hooked

Agreed. You’re going to need a gooseneck to get both of those there!

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

boardsurfer

If I could make a suggestion - You would be better served staying in Ouray rather than Telluride. The trails will be a lot more accessible that way. Otherwise you have to travel over a pass (Imogene or Ophir) just to get to them. Almost all of the trailheads are off of Hwy 550 (Million Dollar Highway) which comes directly out of Ouray to the south.

My recommendation:

Day 1 - Black Bear Pass, lunch in Telluride, Imogene Pass back to Ouray. This is the classic setup and should be non-negotiable. :D

Day 2 - First mile of Mineral Creek -> Poughkeepsie Gulch -> Corkscrew Gulch.

Day 3 - Mineral Creek -> Engineer Pass, out and back, or maybe Red Mountain Pass or Clear Lake.

jdofmemi

I'm subscribing as well. Short of an emergency, I would love to go.

As stated, it would be great to meet up with the Wayalifers stuck on the wrong coast😉

Moab was great this past spring, and I can't wait to go back for more.

I will have to see as time gets closer whether or not I can do both weeks, but I would sure like to.

As for trails, Cliffhanger is one of my favorites, and I don't think you can call a Moab trip complete without Golden Spike, and might as well make it a day and do Poison Spider, Gold Bar Rim, and maybe even Rusty Nail.

Coop

Caught the Bug
Count me in! They have a really good KOA in Moab, so the earlier we book, the better.
This sounds like a great trip with great people!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

wjtstudios

Hooked
If I could make a suggestion - You would be better served staying in Ouray rather than Telluride. The trails will be a lot more accessible that way. Otherwise you have to travel over a pass (Imogene or Ophir) just to get to them. Almost all of the trailheads are off of Hwy 550 (Million Dollar Highway) which comes directly out of Ouray to the south.

My recommendation:

Day 1 - Black Bear Pass, lunch in Telluride, Imogene Pass back to Ouray. This is the classic setup and should be non-negotiable. :D

Day 2 - First mile of Mineral Creek -> Poughkeepsie Gulch -> Corkscrew Gulch.

Day 3 - Mineral Creek -> Engineer Pass, out and back, or maybe Red Mountain Pass or Clear Lake.

Definitely look into that, thank you.

And yes, Black bear and Imogene is not negotiable!

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

wjtstudios

Hooked
I'm subscribing as well. Short of an emergency, I would love to go.

As stated, it would be great to meet up with the Wayalifers stuck on the wrong coast[emoji6]

Moab was great this past spring, and I can't wait to go back for more.

I will have to see as time gets closer whether or not I can do both weeks, but I would sure like to.

As for trails, Cliffhanger is one of my favorites, and I don't think you can call a Moab trip complete without Golden Spike, and might as well make it a day and do Poison Spider, Gold Bar Rim, and maybe even Rusty Nail.

I’ll add those to the trail lists. Hope it works out and you can make it.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

wjtstudios

Hooked
Count me in! They have a really good KOA in Moab, so the earlier we book, the better.
This sounds like a great trip with great people!

I want to try to get these dates locked down this weekend. It sounds like no one has any objections on the dates. Glad your going make it!

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Coop

Caught the Bug
I want to try to get these dates locked down this weekend. It sounds like no one has any objections on the dates. Glad your going make it!

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

I agree with boardsurfer regarding Ouray being a better location to access the mountain passes. There is also a KOA there.
As much as I really liked Telluride, there is no parking for a large group of Jeeps. We had 3 Jeeps and could only park 2 about a half a mile apart.

jorgelrod

Hooked
WHOOOOAAA!! I stay off the forum one day due to work and this thread is already 4 pages long!!!

My only issue with dates is that My son stays with us all through summer and I usually take him back to Puerto Rico that first week of August as classes usually start for him between the second and third week of Aug. I know it's super early so I'm subscribing and I'll see how it takes shape. Needless to say this sounds like the trip of a lifetime and something worth going to.

Ddays

Hooked
I agree with boardsurfer regarding Ouray being a better location to access the mountain passes. There is also a KOA there.
As much as I really liked Telluride, there is no parking for a large group of Jeeps. We had 3 Jeeps and could only park 2 about a half a mile apart.

Wouldn't you know it - I Just checked the Ouray KOA and all of the cabins with bathrooms are unavailable both of those weeks. Looks like plenty of other lodging is available though. There looks to be a ton of other places in Ouray so finding places should be easy.

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
I would love to go to this, sounds amazing especially with great people. I'll subscribe and see if I can work it out. Might not be able to stay the whole 2 weeks but might can manage 1 week.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom