JEEP TRAIL OFFROAD GPS: What GPS is everyone running?

Serg5000

I have been trying to get it to work but no luck. I save tiles of the area I want but when I want to load it without wifi, it doesn't work.

TrailBear

I run a garmin nuvi 550, decent price, decent unit, I'm trying a few I phone app gps but haven't found a good one yet, I also have a garmin 60cx, I prefur it over everything but the screen is to small for a vehicle unit.

JandSJK

I downloaded the GAIA app and used it on our last trail run and just plotted the trail for our next run. I also bought the auto doc for my razr maxx. It seems to boost teh signal reception and i can also still use my camera on the phone. It trakes an pretty decent trail video.

Dave_g

GPS? Yay or Ney?

So I know my desert rat Buddy's down here in San Diego all have Lowrance GPS's or something similar. I was wondering what the crawling community thought about high end GPS mounted "for the co-pilot". My lady wants to get more involved with the off roading, may get a gps and move my CB to her side of the Jeep to include her more inside the cab...(working on her "spotting skills").

TacPen

Banned
I'm not super thrilled with any of the GPS units I've tried so far. My Garmin Nuvi with topo maps installed through BaseCamp (Garmin's free software) and custom trail tracks seems to be the best bet I've found so far. I like the big screen size and the ability to easily zoom and move the map around. BaseCamp allows you to create custom tracks which means you can use GoogleEarth to walk a route first and then lay track for the GPS. Mine aren't rout-able but the route goes out the window the first obstacle you hit anyway.

I've tried the Garmin Dakota and am sorely disappointed. The image is too small, not very visible in direct sunlight and just not that user friendly (you can figure it out, but it's not simple and you have to skip around the menu). Still keep it around as a back up though. It's small and easy to carry if you want to hike as well. Reception is pretty crappy though.

I'd like to try the Garmin Montana but a $500 experiment seems kind of pricey. I can do auto-mode routing as well as topo mapping so it should be the best of both worlds BUT at $500 you still have to get maps. Pricey.

I'm also a big fan of paper topo maps for backup.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I would go for an IPad with GPS, for the $$$$ you get lots of convenience and versatility.

Agreed. If you have a co-pilot willing to help out, I would recommend an iPad mini and run something like Gaia on it. Works great and is what we use. :yup:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Agreed. If you have a co-pilot willing to help out, I would recommend an iPad mini and run something like Gaia on it. Works great and is what we use. :yup:

I will look into that one. There is another called GPS Kit (someone mentioned it in another thread).

I would do as others have said and go with the iPad. You can do more for cheaper or the same price.

catahoula

Caught the Bug

I agree we have a 7" tablet and it is awesome. Our droid helps out as well. The best thing they are always updated.

Hatewagon

Re: GPS? Yay or Ney?

We run a small hand held Garmin. Works great for our needs and is simple to use. Electronics and I dont get along so ive avoided getting a nice high end unit. My wife does all the navi work, she has some made skill with a map and a gps.

Holeshot

Banned
The downside I see about using an Ipad or tablet, correct me if I'm wrong but does the gps fonction works only with internet connection? Never used one so I may be wrong.

Personnaly, I just had a garmin etrex20 for christmas, uploaded a detailed topo map, and I'll be good to go. I also do snowshoe trails and some hiking/hunting with the father. I'll get a mount to put it on the sport cage and it'll be just fine.

Skirmish

GPS? Yay or Ney?

I don't know if it is all versions but I know a friend of mine has an iPad with built in GPS. I bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 specifically for satellite GPS. I was using Motionx on my iPhone but it relied on mobile service. It wasn't till after I bought the tablet that I realized there wasn't as good of a GPS app for droid.

I do think a tablet is the way to go for a copilot. She can use multiple apps that would keep her engaged in the trip. Tilt sensors might be fun, researching areas, maybe some geocaching stuff.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The downside I see about using an Ipad or tablet, correct me if I'm wrong but does the gps fonction works only with internet connection? Never used one so I may be wrong.

Personnaly, I just had a garmin etrex20 for christmas, uploaded a detailed topo map, and I'll be good to go. I also do snowshoe trails and some hiking/hunting with the father. I'll get a mount to put it on the sport cage and it'll be just fine.

iPads and iPhones come with GPS's built into them. You can download waypoint and even track into a program like Gaia. You can then download maps of the area you will be in and then, when you're out on the trail without any service, you can still navigate just fine.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

iPads and iPhones come with GPS's built into them. You can download waypoint and even track into a program like Gaia. You can then download maps of the area you will be in and then, when you're out on the trail without any service, you can still navigate just fine.

Yup. Certain apps will still work fine without any service.

Holeshot

Banned
sweet! Then I wonder if I could download my maps in my gf's iphone as a backup :D

I use garmin basecamp and touratech QV4 programs.

TacPen

Banned
iPads and iPhones come with GPS's built into them.

Actually, only the 3G + WiFi iPad versions have Assisted GPS. The WiFi only versions use hotspot locations (assuming the hotspots have location information enabled) to get their "GPS" location and will not locate without an internet connection.

Assuming you have cell signal on the trail, you can tether to your phone and still locate through a WiFi only iPad.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Actually, only the 3G + WiFi iPad versions have Assisted GPS. The WiFi only versions use hotspot locations (assuming the hotspots have location information enabled) to get their "GPS" location and will not locate without an internet connection.

Assuming you have cell signal on the trail, you can tether to your phone and still locate through a WiFi only iPad.

Too true and I should have clarified that. I guess I just assumed that everyone was running what I have :D

Top Bottom