Jeep JK Wrangler Grade 8 Replacement Bolts - Do I Really Need Them?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Ok so I broke the rear track bolt that the vehicle had, do I replace it with a stock one or just buy the aftermarket one?

Why does it have a cam washer welded on to it and, how did you get one on to the bolt in the first place?

srosario

I bought the vehicle used, and it has a rear track bar relocation bracket, I'm assuming that bolt came with the kit as is. When I try to re torque it to 125lbs it broke, so I need a replacement.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I bought the vehicle used, and it has a rear track bar relocation bracket, I'm assuming that bolt came with the kit as is. When I try to re torque it to 125lbs it broke, so I need a replacement.

What you're looking at is an aftermarket cam bolt and one that may only be a grade 5 or 8.8 instead of a 10.9. Unless there's a reason why you can't install a factory replacement (mount notched or altered to be used with the other bolt), that's what I would use or, a grade 8 of similar size.

srosario

What you're looking at is an aftermarket cam bolt and one that may only be a grade 5 or 8.8 instead of a 10.9. Unless there's a reason why you can't install a factory replacement (mount notched or altered to be used with the other bolt), that's what I would use or, a grade 8 of similar size.

ok, thanks, just order the factory bolt today. hopefully it would fit properly, and wont have to get that cam bolt that broke.

CJW

ok, thanks, just order the factory bolt today. hopefully it would fit properly, and wont have to get that cam bolt that broke.

I would think you'd need a new trackbar bracket if you're ditching the cam bolt?

CJW

Why is that?

Maybe I'm not following correctly but the cam bolt came out of your track bar bracket at the axle right? If so, the hole in the bracket is wider than the bolt. The misalignment washer on the bolt you broke sits between some tabs on the bracket right? So as you turn the cam bolt it pushes or pulls the axle left or right for aligning it under the vehicle. If you keep this style of track bar bracket and you put a regular bolt in it, it won't have the washer to take up the space between those tabs. This would allow the bolt to slide around in the mount.
Or am I misunderstanding the style of track bar bracket you have?

srosario

Maybe I'm not following correctly but the cam bolt came out of your track bar bracket at the axle right? If so, the hole in the bracket is wider than the bolt. The misalignment washer on the bolt you broke sits between some tabs on the bracket right? So as you turn the cam bolt it pushes or pulls the axle left or right for aligning it under the vehicle. If you keep this style of track bar bracket and you put a regular bolt in it, it won't have the washer to take up the space between those tabs. This would allow the bolt to slide around in the mount.
Or am I misunderstanding the style of track bar bracket you have?

No that's the exact track bar bracket I have, it has two taps next to the opening. We're can i get the cam bolt. I don't know who makes the trackbar as the vehicle came with it.

CJW

No that's the exact track bar bracket I have, it has two taps next to the opening. We're can i get the cam bolt. I don't know who makes the trackbar as the vehicle came with it.

I have no idea who makes that style of track bar, just know that I've seen them before. After thinking about it, if you used an OEM bolt and found a regular washer to fit the opening between the tabs and fits snugly on the bolt it may work. You'd lose the side to side adjustability but it may work.
I'd try "googling" cam track bar bracket and see what comes up. That may lead you to the cam bolt you'd need.
Just know I'm not 100% sure on this. Just listing what I would try.

CJW

A quick google search lead me to this:
http://offroadwarehouse.com/i-11644155-synergy-jeep-jk-front-track-bar-bracket-w-cam-bolt-adj.html
It's a front bracket but you get the point.
You could just keep looking like that for the bracket that matches yours to find the manufacturer.
Honestly though, if it were me I buy a whole new trackbar bracket that doesn't use a cam bolt. They can move out of alignment when taking a decent hit offroad. Again, just what I personally would do/try. I'm not the all knowing authority on everything jeep.

Last edited:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
If you torque the factory bolts down to there proper setting (125 ft/lb) you don't need any extra washers or anything. Cam bolts and grade 8 bolts on suspension parts are snake oil just like outer axle seals.

J.B.

A 10.9 metric bolt is equivalent in strength to a grade 8 SAE bolt. They have approx. the same tensile strength. It is a complete waste of time to re-thread and convert unless upsizing the bolt for a larger diameter one which would ultimately weaken the bore but the bolt would take more load due to its increased size. It's basic mechanics.

JRied

Hey what ever happened with replacing this bolt? As you know my jeep came with it as well. Any updates on if you were able to use a factory or grade 8 etc etc???

Jeepfan30

I wish I would have read this a year ago, before I got my Grade 8 bolts. Removed my control arms to sell them and one of the grade 8 bolts threaded itself into my RK control arm bushing. Had to cut the bolt with sawzall to remove the arm. Now I have one control arms that can't be mounted until I get the bolt out of the bushing.

Patmasterflash

I don't know......I'v had a few bolts break off while loosening or tightening. Specifically, my tensioner belt housing bolt broke and it was quite an ordeal to remove. I think the stronger bolts will at least give you some piece of mind.

jedg

I don't know......I'v had a few bolts break off while loosening or tightening. Specifically, my tensioner belt housing bolt broke and it was quite an ordeal to remove. I think the stronger bolts will at least give you some piece of mind.

That's just it. They AREN'T stronger.

That's just it. They AREN'T stronger.

And if they were they would be more brittle and prone to breaking. A softer bolt isn't always a bad thing. They will allow for some stretch. A hard bolt will not and is far more brittle.

But to jedg's point. They aren't...

Top Bottom