I need advise

RyanHanley

11/03/18 I was driving down the highway going 65-70 MPH and I start hearing this rattle so I pull over check to see if any heat shied is coming off or anything noticeable and I find nothing so I pull back onto the highway and get up to 65-70 and the front driveshaft snaps randomly I had northridge 4x4 here in Denver install my Evo long arm kit and they didn’t tighten my drive shaft bolts all the way so they came loose and caused a lot of damage should I have them fix everything that broke or how else would you guys go about this? IMG_1380.jpg IMG_1382.jpg IMG_1383.jpg IMG_1384.jpg IMG_1385.jpg

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug
Damn, well I’d certainly be taking it back to them. I had a similar go around (not as bad) with a shop in AZ: had my gears installed, went back for my break in fluid change and axle seal leak (for warranty) and my gears seized down the street from their shop when I left. Ended up making them rebuild my front driveshaft, replace from u-joints, and install a new OEM locker. I would think that Northridge would do the same for you

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Fuck that shit. I wouldn’t have them touch my rig after that. They suck. I would make them pay for that shit especially the tub.

How long ago did they do it? I would also have someone check out the rest of their work.

RSQCON

Offroad Evolution installed my kit and my front driveshaft flange bolts came loose so do they suck also? Luckily for me it happened at slow speed off road. I'm guessing they properly installed the bolts and they worked themselves loose. I started checking mine regularly. A good way to check the driveshaft is to crawl under and push up on it.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Offroad Evolution installed my kit and my front driveshaft flange bolts came loose so do they suck also? Luckily for me it happened at slow speed off road. I'm guessing they properly installed the bolts and they worked themselves loose. I started checking mine regularly. A good way to check the driveshaft is to crawl under and push up on it.

No driveshaft bolts don’t just work themselves loose if they are installed properly with locktite.

RyanHanley

Fuck that shit. I wouldn’t have them touch my rig after that. They suck. I would make them pay for that shit especially the tub.

How long ago did they do it? I would also have someone check out the rest of their work.

The long arms were installed 9/28 and they claim everything was perfect and I’ll be good to go for a long time so obviously when you hear something like that you think you’re good to go but finally It decided to snap yesterday and the tub is what really pisses me off lucky it didn’t crack the transfer case but it did snap the transfer case shift cable so they’re going to be replacing a lot of shit and fixing everything when I get to talk to them tomorrow definitely not happy and I know they don’t have the greatest rep on here and I won’t be returning to them after this is resolved

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
The long arms were installed 9/28 and they claim everything was perfect and I’ll be good to go for a long time so obviously when you hear something like that you think you’re good to go but finally It decided to snap yesterday and the tub is what really pisses me off lucky it didn’t crack the transfer case but it did snap the transfer case shift cable so they’re going to be replacing a lot of shit and fixing everything when I get to talk to them tomorrow definitely not happy and I know they don’t have the greatest rep on here and I won’t be returning to them after this is resolved

I would have the transfer case pressure tested to be sure the case isn’t cracked anywhere. Doesn’t take much to crack those housings.

RSQCON

No driveshaft bolts don’t just work themselves loose if they are installed properly with locktite.
Yes they do and it happened to me. U bolts at front axle were fine but I was missing 2 of the 4 flange bolts and a 3rd one was hanging on by just a few threads. I didn't have any spares so I relocated the loose bolt opposite the 1 good bolt and took it easy the rest of the trail. Drove home from Big Bear to Utah with my front hubs unlocked and stopped at Adams driveshaft in Las Vegas to pick up replacement and spares. When I got home I pulled the 2 bolts and they both had Loctite on them.

Just go back to NR4x4 an see what they will do to make things right. Don't buy into all the 'they suck' BS on this forum. Like I said ORE did my install and I had the same issue so...

Last edited:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Yes they do and it happened to me. U bolts at front axle were fine but I was missing 2 of the 4 flange bolts and a 3rd one was hanging on by just a few threads. I didn't have any spares so I relocated the loose bolt opposite the 1 good bolt and took it easy the rest of the trail. Drove home from Big Bear to Utah with my front hubs unlocked and stopped at Adams driveshaft in Las Vegas to pick up replacement and spares. When I got home I pulled the 2 bolts and they both had Loctite on them.

Just go back to NR4x4 an see what they will do to make things right. Don't buy into all the 'they suck' BS on this forum. Like I said ORE did my install and I had the same issue so...

Forum messiah. Toolshed.

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
People make mistakes, some more than others. This is why I do not allow anyone to work on my vehicles unless it is something like a dealer recall.
That being said if Northridge, Evo, or anyone else works on the component that caused the failure they SHOULD do what is needed to make things right.
Also I have to agree with Adam. If installed correctly, the bolts shouldn't "work themselves loose" All it takes is a small rock or something caught between the flange to cause the bolts to tighten up correctly but loosen up once the driveline crushes and spits out the debris.

WJCO

Meme King
People make mistakes, some more than others. This is why I do not allow anyone to work on my vehicles unless it is something like a dealer recall.

I'm the same way. But I have to comment on your 'dealer recall' mention. We recently took our JK in for 2 recalls and they fucked up both of them. Dead serious.

The clock spring one we had to go back because the horn wasn't working, and the heated mirror recall, our LF mirror hasn't worked since. I have had other horrible experiences at this dealer besides this so I plan on looking at the mirrors when I have a chance myself. I don't trust no one.

JKbrick

As a business owner, they should have insurance and they should fix this for you if they care about their customers and their reputation. I see their only out being once you leave it is up to you to maintain and keep your rig safe to drive

Slimebones

I'm the same way. But I have to comment on your 'dealer recall' mention. We recently took our JK in for 2 recalls and they fucked up both of them. Dead serious.

The clock spring one we had to go back because the horn wasn't working, and the heated mirror recall, our LF mirror hasn't worked since. I have had other horrible experiences at this dealer besides this so I plan on looking at the mirrors when I have a chance myself. I don't trust no one.

It's a real dilemma. Most dealers work on the "flat rate" system where the techs are always trying to "beat" time, thus making mistakes. Then there are the aftermarket shops who many times don't pay as much as dealers, thus not getting as qualified techs.
Hope Northridge treats you right.

Bierpower

Hooked
It's a real dilemma. Most dealers work on the "flat rate" system where the techs are always trying to "beat" time, thus making mistakes. Then there are the aftermarket shops who many times don't pay as much as dealers, thus not getting as qualified techs.
Hope Northridge treats you right.
This is exactly why I moved my toolbox to my garage and went back to school. When I was at Bridgestone they preached about making the customer happy, then I would get cars with 12k miles getting a trans flush. The motto should be fuck the customer and get their money. They even had quotas for the sales people getting credit card sign ups. My next purchase is a scanner. Then I only need to go to a shop for tires.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

Jeepfan30

Well damn, this thread just made me get off the couch and go check my u joint bolts! Glad your ok, and hope NR makes it right.

Top Bottom