ROOF TOP TENT : What Should We Get?

Brute

Hooked
If length is an issue due to the height of the rack, why not use some spacers to raise the rtt above the cab level...since most clamshells are half as thick as soft one, your end height would be about the same ...

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I just updated my previous post, but you’ll start out around 10-15 mins for setup and take down. You’ll get better rapidly. By the end of that trip I could set that tent up in pitch black wilderness with a phone light by myself in under 5 minutes. It’s so easy once you get the choreography figured out.

Okay, 5 minutes I can deal with. Thanks.

A few years ago I was dead set on a RTT and Tepui was my choice. My main reason for them over others is that they are local to me in Santa Cruz. If I were to have any problems I could just drive over and have them take a look.

During a demonstration they had it folded up ready to roll in minutes. Obviously that would take me 10x longer till I got the hang of things. But it looked simple enough. They had me and my wife set one up and break it down also part of the demo. Super simple.

I do like that Tepui is a part of Thule. I will have to give them a harder look. They are pricey though.

Roam Adventure Vagabond is on my radar. Gets solid reviews and doesn’t break the bank. You could get one and let me know if it sucks or not. Lol

Price is right but I didn't even know where to start looking for reviews. That being said, if it's what you'd been looking at, I may have to too :crazyeyes:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If length is an issue due to the height of the rack, why not use some spacers to raise the rtt above the cab level...since most clamshells are half as thick as soft one, your end height would be about the same ...

nah, Mel is making a rack that will get the job done. I just wanted to have things sit a bit lower. But, if the clam shell thing really is that much better, I may reconsider.

Didn’t the EVO JT have an RTT? Why not just go with that model?

Because EVO was just given it to them. They've never even used it other than for a photo shoot. I'd rather buy something based on what others have actually used and can speak from personal experience.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
nah, Mel is making a rack that will get the job done. I just wanted to have things sit a bit lower. But, if the clam shell thing really is that much better, I may reconsider.

Because EVO was just given it to them. They've never even used it other than for a photo shoot. I'd rather buy something based on what others have actually used and can speak from personal experience.

I think they actually have the roam adventure.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

black pearl

Hooked
I just picked up a Tepui RTT a few days ago. I have to say the quality is great. Especially that I’m actually the third owner of this tent and it’s about six years old. I bought it from a friend that I know used it a lot. The only issue I found on it is normal wear and tear things. One of the straps for cinching it down when folded, the Velcro is wearing out($6 bucks to replace) and the travel cover is starting to show its age. Outside of that the tent is in amazing shape. I’ll be sleeping in it this weekend so I’ll know more the. After setting it up a few times. I have it down to just under five minutes and closing it back up under ten.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

sunnysideup

tent

I bought a smittybuilt 4 years ago... on the tread lightly auction for 400 bucks. I think they go for closer to 700?

It has been in snow, rain, wind, hail... never leaked. Never got wet at all! Memory foam is comfy. Used it probable in the area of twenty times... couple nights each time.

I have looked at a few of the other brands up close... and several are identical to the smittybuilt. Same frame, same shape, same seams, same vents, same rainfly, same cushion. I have feeling these are all built at the same place and have a patch sewed on... (also in the same place on many).

It has the add on tent under as well for dressing or storage...but is sold separate.

But I don't buy most of the stuff they sell... but 400 was too cheap. But I expect it to last another 10 years... I mean it is still like new.

CalSgt

Hooked
Scheels in Reno had several set up on display upstairs by the boats & paddle boards earlier this summer... Not as good as honest reviews but putting hands on them before you buy might help.

19YJ94

Caught the Bug
Had my Smittybilt RTT (keeping it simple) for a couple years now, so far no complaints. There are some great RTTs out there, and some expensive ones also. I heard some good reviews on quite a few, so just guessing what options your seeking will vary the prices.

Attachments

• 20190829_023034.jpg
    20190829_023034.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 221

PokerStogey

I have been running a Tepui RTT soft tent for a couple years now either on a military trailer or on the jeep and am pretty happy with it (we use it a lot). I did go with the annex room option for the dogs, a crapper and so mama could have some privacy, but in all honesty it doesn’t seem worth it to me anymore (adds quite a but of time to set-up and tear down). The tent alone is up and down in less than 5 minutes now. The biggest thing I would look for in this type of tent is just making sure the seams are sealed (taped/glued) to keep from leaking, not all of them are.

All that being said, if I could come up on some $, I would throw a clam shell on the jeep and just leave the Tepui on the trailer.

Brute

Hooked
RTT.jpg

Looking at the profile of this James Baroud on my trailer, it's pretty slim...and this is their largest tent. ..they have smaller ones that don't allow for cargo to be stored on top, which makes them even slimmer (and lighter)...I'm thinking if it extends over the cab by two feet, your overall height would be the same as a folding soft tent centered on the bed...and you will be moving the weight more forward over the middle of the truck...

If you want, I can take some pics today of the inside. It comes standard with a 2" foam mattress, a solar powered ceiling fan that can be reversed to pull air out to prevent condensation, and a Velcro mounted ceiling light that is 12v rechargeable...

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
View attachment 333741

Looking at the profile of this James Baroud on my trailer, it's pretty slim...and this is their largest tent. ..they have smaller ones that don't allow for cargo to be stored on top, which makes them even slimmer (and lighter)...I'm thinking if it extends over the cab by two feet, your overall height would be the same as a folding soft tent centered on the bed...and you will be moving the weight more forward over the middle of the truck...

If you want, I can take some pics today of the inside. It comes standard with a 2" foam mattress, a solar powered ceiling fan that can be reversed to pull air out to prevent condensation, and a Velcro mounted ceiling light that is 12v rechargeable...

Ideally, this would be the way to go. I really like how slim it is and setup looks like a snap. I'll have to talk to Mel before pulling the trigger on anything. Thanks for the help.

Exodus 4x4

View attachment 333741

I’m digging this man, and I am NOT a fan of the roof top tent. However if we fabricate a bed rack that would allow it to overhang the cab like you said, then a 40” spare should stand in the back easily.[emoji848]

jmedgar

I had a TEPUI AUTANA 3 on my Tacoma. I had it on low bed bars that kept it just under cab height and it was a few inches shorter than the 5.5ft bed. Keeping the weight low was great, and it didn't hurt mileage at all. I also liked that the doorway had a bit of a "porch" so that when it is raining and you need to go to the bathroom in the night you go to the bottom of the ladder and stay mostly dry. I haven't used any other brand so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but it seemed well made and stayed bug free and dry.

trailraider

View attachment 333741

I love the look, the fact it isn't a large brick mounted on top of a large brick.

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
View attachment 333741

That’s a pretty sweet setup and great idea about the overhang. Would work great given the profile of that particular tent.

I think something else to consider is the width. I believe the evo bed rack tapers in towards the top. There might be quite a bit of overhang on the sides of the rack. Could be rectified with cross bars though.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Last edited:
Top Bottom