Hauling my Jeep

Tumbleweed

I had a SureTrac but sold it since I got rid of the ATVs. Very nice trailer & they will work with you if you want any upgrades, i.e. axles, suspension, etc.

PilotJK

A. Outlet of points to ponder.
1: Get a bigger trailer than you think you need. 20' minimum.
2: Get 5,000 lb axles. Better brakes. Higher weight capacity.
3: Get brakes on both axles. Safety first.
4: Consider a deck over. Wider axles & tires might require it.

Thanks! I didn't realize my Jeep is too wide. I'm gonna get a deck over. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

RSQCON

Yes I agree that the d-ring shouldn't be the primary, but the one advantage to having it as secondary is it keeps your suspension from cycling while on the trailer, which could be several thousand miles.
Why are you concerned about your suspension cycling?

I just got back from 5 different dealers. Its amazing how differently some businesses price the same exact trailer. Anyways, thanks to everyone for helping a brother out with all your input. :thumb::thumb::thumb:
What trailer did you ask about and what were the different quotes you received? Also be careful with a deck over as they sit quite a bit higher. Might look into something with drive over fenders that is 102" wide like a PJ B6.

2Cross

Caught the Bug

What trailer did you ask about and what were the different quotes you received? Also be careful with a deck over as they sit quite a bit higher. Might look into something with drive over fenders that is 102" wide like a PJ B6.

I agree with rsqcon. ^^^
I think you want the suspension cycling.
Drive over fenders are the way to go.

jeffj

Caught the Bug

I'm really not that concerned, I'm not really panning on trailering my new rig, but my reasoning behind doing it that way is that keeping the straps at 45 degree angle is that it pulls the jeep down on the trailer. And with it not cycling seems to be a bonus, because if you are going to trailer your rig and you have 12,000$ worth of coil overs and bypass shocks it seems like it would save the oil and where and tear on other parts too. I am not an engineer and have no type of data, but in my dirt bike days a friend of mine used to sag the rear of his bike down so it would not cycle. He told me to grab my oil reservoir, that was not tied down and it was hot from going up and down and his of course was not hot at all. Just my 2 cents.

Baja

I agree with the above.
Get a big trailer. Get strong axles.
I like D-rings to the axles but do Y straps over the tires. I think D-rings are better because when you stop the rig doesn't 'roll' forward (an inch or two). Plus with the D-rings to the axles you still have the vehicles suspension to absorb some of the bumps.

This! But the most important reason to tie off to axles and to let the Jeeps suspension move, is not letting the straps move. If you tie of to frame, the suspension will still move a bit and it will eventually loosen your straps [emoji50]

JamesCo

I don't like the lasso either. But it's quick and easy for a short tow to the trailhead

Well they do work. I used them when I hauled travel trailers and cargo trailers. They just allow it to move if you stop to hard. But for what your doing your setup is great.

JamesCo

holliewood61

I use an 18 foot 3.5 ton big tex to haul mine. I always strap to the axles for reasons already stated. The axles move very little compared to strapping to the bumpers. Another thing to look into is to get a good quality hitch and weight distribution bars. The bars will reduce squat on your tow rig and with the bars you wont unload the front end of your tow rig if you have to get onto the brakes hard.

Sent from my LGLS991 using WAYALIFE mobile app

PilotJK

I wound up getting a 16ft Sure-Trac with removable fender for $300 cheaper than the competing dealers. I measured twice and my Jeep will fit.

RSQCON

Congrats.

I've asked 4+ dealers for a quote on a PB B6 102"w x 22' and I'm getting quotes for $8-10k. Granted I have anywhere from $1000 to $1500 in upgrade but still seems a little pricey.

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
Congrats.

I've asked 4+ dealers for a quote on a PB B6 102"w x 22' and I'm getting quotes for $8-10k. Granted I have anywhere from $1000 to $1500 in upgrade but still seems a little pricey.
That's crazy. Mine was just over 4 new with 5k axles in 15. What other upgrades are u getting?

Sent from my SM-G930V using WAYALIFE mobile app

RSQCON

Here's the thing I need a trailer long enough to fit a crew cab long bed truck so a 9900gvw trailer won't cut it. So that's why I'm looking at something 22' long with a minimum 14,000gvw.

Here are the specs on the trailer I'm looking at:
PJ B6 Superwide Buggy Hauler
6" channel frame
22' long
102" wide
3' 6" dovetail w/ mini monster ramps
Dexter 7k torsion axles w/ electric brakes
welded D rings
winch plate
tan powdercoat w/ black wheels
spare tire w/ mount
tongue mounted tool box

Think that's it. Best quote I've got was $8200. The upgrade to 8k oil bath torsion axles put the trailer close to $10k.

Tumbleweed

I don't believe I would want torsion axles on a car or truck hauling trailer.
Here's my reasons.
1) Because a typical spring suspension will equalize the cargo weight between the 2 axles. Torsion axles will not.
2) The vehicle you are hauling on the trailer will have its own suspension. Therefore the rougher ride of a leaf sprung suspension will not harm the cargo vehicle. Dexter Axle makes a cushioned equalizer that will smooth out the bumps a bit. It's greaseable, too. AND very heavy duty shackles.
Equalizer.png

RSQCON

I am dead set on torsion axles. They are the equivalent of having independent suspension and will provide a smoother ride than leaf springs will.

2Cross

Caught the Bug
I don't believe I would want torsion axles on a car or truck hauling trailer.
Here's my reasons.
1) Because a typical spring suspension will equalize the cargo weight between the 2 axles. Torsion axles will not.
2) The vehicle you are hauling on the trailer will have its own suspension. Therefore the rougher ride of a leaf sprung suspension will not harm the cargo vehicle. Dexter Axle makes a cushioned equalizer that will smooth out the bumps a bit. It's greaseable, too. AND very heavy duty shackles.
Equalizer.png

I agree with Tumbleweed. Nice explanation

Tumbleweed

I am dead set on torsion axles. They are the equivalent of having independent suspension and will provide a smoother ride than leaf springs will.

Your money, your trailer.
After you've driven the trailer and stopped for a pit stop, put your hand on the sidewall of the front, then rear tire. Feel the difference? Your bearings and brakes will be different temps too. Tires will have a tendency to blow out on the overloaded axle.

RSQCON

First off you shouldn't need to add a kit like that in order to equalize the load over 2 or 3 axles. I am very familiar with towing and have towed mylitiple configurations. This car hauler will be on the smaller side of what I usually tow. Many people feel the need for kits like you posted for a variety of reasons like having a truck that is lifted and a trailer that doesn't sit level or people that don't properly distribute the weight of the cargo. Both those issues will be addressed including tongue weight. For those reasons and a few others that I will address I think torsion axles are the way to go for me. I do appreciate the input!

outkast7222

First off you shouldn't need to add a kit like that in order to equalize the load over 2 or 3 axles. I am very familiar with towing and have towed mylitiple configurations. This car hauler will be on the smaller side of what I usually tow. Many people feel the need for kits like you posted for a variety of reasons like having a truck that is lifted and a trailer that doesn't sit level or people that don't properly distribute the weight of the cargo. Both those issues will be addressed including tongue weight. For those reasons and a few others that I will address I think torsion axles are the way to go for me. I do appreciate the input!
All tandem and tried axle spring trailers come with axle equalizers, the ones he is showing are simply nicer riding ones.

Sent from my XT1254 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom