Re-doing cb radio.

Clifford33

Caught the Bug
Hey guys so went to the cb shop the other day to see what was up with my radio and antenna set up but turn out I’m going to have to redo my set up was wondering if you guys know of any good antenna mounts that you are using that work really well. IMG_4733.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

BaddestCross

the plate style that gets mounted behind tail light gives a solid and well grounded point, but what he said^ whats the issue?

Clifford33

Caught the Bug
There telling me that my tire carrier and hard top at interfering with my signal and output. But almost every antenna mount out there is behind the tire and hard top. I haven’t been getting good signal for a while now. They also told me that my ground and hot are to close together where the antenna is mounted. I’ll post up some pics soon of what I have set up.

jesse3638

Hooked
I'd start with making sure you have a good ground. That was my problem. SWR was buried in the red. I used a grounding strap and sanded off the powder coat on everything and it was good to go after that.

fiend

Caught the Bug
I would venture that this is likely your problem. Bad ground due to (a) painted surface and (b) limited contact because the hole is too big for the antenna base. IMG_2942.JPG

JamesCo

What kind of antenna are you using. Top or mid load? I always used a Wilson Silver load top load antenna on my old FJ40. The load makes it so the signal gets out at the top of the antenna. Anything that is blocking the antenna makes it harder to get out and receive. That’s why the best signal you’ll ever have is if you have it above the roof of any vehicle. But that isn’t possible without hitting everything with it. Any truck stop will have a Wilson Silver load.

Noble Woodsman

I use a hood mount. I get very good reception. Here’s a link to the one I have. I’d imagine there are other sources for similar products.

https://www.rightchannelradios.com/products/jeep-cb-antenna-fender-mount-2007

I also use this hood mount. Works great. Generally speaking, the hood is a better location for a cb antenna anyway, because the hood offers a sizable "ground plane" for the radio waves, and should offer better range vs. on the spare tire carrier.

That said, a 3' or 4' firestick antenna with good ground and tuned SWR should still work on the spare tire carrier.

Also check that you have the correct length of coax cable between the antenna and radio. If not, you'll never be able to dial in the SWR.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Clifford33

Caught the Bug
Yeah I think I just had a bad ground do to the powder coat. The shop took some paint off and and said it won’t work but never test it so I’ll probably just grind some more paint off and try it again

Clifford33

Caught the Bug
Yeah I think I just had a bad ground do to the powder coat. The shop took some paint off and and said it won’t work but never test it so I’ll probably just grind some more paint off and try it again

jesse3638

Hooked

I also ended up buying the ground strap Eddie used in his JL write up. That worked, but I think I may have been fine with my 12ga section of wire I had with lugs soldered to the end. I just didn't try it out connected the way I have it now. I think my SWR is down to 1.1 or 1.2. I can't remember but I do know I can hear and be heard...haha. I'm also running the Cobra 75 so the range isn't that great.

Yeah I don’t think that shop is used to working with things besides semis and industrial equipment. There’s always a sacrifice for where you want to mount things on a Jeep, but you should have no issues getting a good ground with a little work.

Primo82

Caught the Bug
I also ended up buying the ground strap Eddie used in his JL write up. That worked, but I think I may have been fine with my 12ga section of wire I had with lugs soldered to the end. I just didn't try it out connected the way I have it now. I think my SWR is down to 1.1 or 1.2. I can't remember but I do know I can hear and be heard...haha. I'm also running the Cobra 75 so the range isn't that great.

Does Eddie have a writeup for setting up a CB? I tried searching the forum and EVERYTHING came back. Not sure if some people have CB in their tags or something. Anyways, I'd love to see a how to for install/setup/calibration. I've read a lot but every bit helps. This will be in a JK, not JL but should still be relevant.

Pretty straight forward. Install everything where you want it. At the radio hookup the swr meter ( or if it has one built in) go to channel one press the talk button and watch the signal strength. Repeat with the high channel. Assuming you have a tuneable tip, spin it one way or the other replace tip cap. Repeat. If you keep getting way high readings your ground sucks and needs attention, that’s where a grounding strap comes in. Make sure everything that’ll be installed on the Jeep is there when you tune it, tire carrier etc.

Here’s the how to i follow
https://www.rightchannelradios.com/blogs/installation-guides/18330687-cb-antenna-tuning-instructions

jesse3638

Hooked
Does Eddie have a writeup for setting up a CB? I tried searching the forum and EVERYTHING came back. Not sure if some people have CB in their tags or something. Anyways, I'd love to see a how to for install/setup/calibration. I've read a lot but every bit helps. This will be in a JK, not JL but should still be relevant.

Here is his write-up for the Cobra 29 in a JK.
https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/5699-Cobra-29-CB-Radio-Jeep-JK-Wrangler-Installation-Write-Up

Here is his write-up for the Cobra 29 in a JL.
https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/54093-WAYALIFE-CB-BAR-Jeep-JL-Wrangler-Overhead-Full-Size-CB-Radio-Mount

Edit: I misread your post and did not see the "set up a CB" part...haha. Hopefully you'll still find this helpful.

Noble Woodsman

I'm also running the Cobra 75 so the range isn't that great.

Not trying to be a prick, but the range of a cb has very little to do with the type of radio, unless the output power has been illegally modified. Range is much more dependent on the SWR, antenna type, and antenna placement.

Top Bottom