19 JL axle questions

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Here's a pic of what a barber polled shaft looks like.

main.php

Granted, I am just a mall crawler but in my limited experience, this is the exception and not the rule.

Neohiofan

LOL!! You mean, as in you don't trailer your Jeep? My brand new JL that I bought last February has 22,000 miles on the odometer. I work from home. ALL those miles come from driving out to trails, driving across hundreds of miles in some of the most remote locations in the lower 48, wheeling it out there and then driving back home again. Only recently did I install new drive shafts but ONLY because I'm not sitting at about 4.5" and was having issues with the factory rear shaft making contact with the gas tank at a full flex.

Granted, you do have a 2-door and your rear shaft will be really short and that would put your CV boots in a constant state of pinch and that lead to them wearing out sooner than later with enough lift but, 2" is hardly enough lift to worry about. :)

My 14jk wasn’t trailered but wasn’t fun to drive long distances either. I can’t find a 2” lift from Rancho for a 2 door. Is there one out there or only for 4 doors?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
My 14jk wasn’t trailered but wasn’t fun to drive long distances either. I can’t find a 2” lift from Rancho for a 2 door. Is there one out there or only for 4 doors?

You can install it on a 2-door but it'll give you a lot more lift. Maybe 3.5" or more. It costs a bit more but I might recommend a Dynatrac 2" lift instead as it'll yield closer to the 2" you're wanting and comes with Fox 2.0's that have been developed specifically for their coils.

I do a LOT of long distance driving and ride comfort is paramount for me.

Neohiofan

You can install it on a 2-door but it'll give you a lot more lift. Maybe 3.5" or more. It costs a bit more but I might recommend a Dynatrac 2" lift instead as it'll yield closer to the 2" you're wanting and comes with Fox 2.0's that have been developed specifically for their coils.

I do a LOT of long distance driving and ride comfort is paramount for me.

Thank you guys for the info. I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions and advice given.

deezus

I didn't see you had a 2 door, I just assume everyone has 4 doors anymore. That being said, I'm so happy with my Rancho lift, especially there coil springs, that I'm not gonna rush into another lift for now. I'm currently running thier 2" sport with 37s. Thier coils are supposedly "progressive rate". They ride so nice and that's with my PSI at 35 to 37!!!!
Just remember no matter what you decide to do, there's a lot of marketing hype out there....

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Ddays

Hooked
My 14jk wasn’t trailered but wasn’t fun to drive long distances either.

I've never understood this ^^. There are enough options out there that with some research there's no excuse for having a Jeep that isn't fun to drive ANY distance - 2 or 4 door. Granted, 2dr choices may be a little fewer than the 4dr, but still,there are a ton of choices. I've driven mine in 18 hour stretches several times and was fine. Granted, having to stop & get gas every 300 miles in the damn thing allows you stretch & get some exercising in. ;)

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
I've never understood this ^^. There are enough options out there that with some research there's no excuse for having a Jeep that isn't fun to drive ANY distance - 2 or 4 door. Granted, 2dr choices may be a little fewer than the 4dr, but still,there are a ton of choices. I've driven mine in 18 hour stretches several times and was fine. Granted, having to stop & get gas every 300 miles in the damn thing allows you stretch & get some exercising in. ;)

I was comfortable, when I drove mine from Mississippi to California, and back. Now, they don’t ride like a limousine, but it was comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

nbunga

Caught the Bug

I agree, I drove 10 hours to windrock park. Got up the next morning, wheeled all day, then drove 10 hours back home that night. I think my Jeep is very fun to drive long distance.

JeepGA

I ordered a completely loaded 19 Rubicon 2 door JL. The only options I did not get were smokers group, safety sensors, & block heater. I already called dynatrac. I’m going to order a prorock 44 housing. Gonna get rcv axle shafts but not sure about the locker. I’d like to keep an Eaton elocker in it but know arb air lockers are better. From there I’m gonna add 2” taller springs, teraflex falcon shocks, Adams driveshafts, aluminum skid plate from rock hard 4x4, raceline beadlocks, nitto ridge grapplers 37s. The 37s are for wheeling and I’ll put the 33s on for going back and forth. I also have arb dual air compressor, warn zeon10s platinum winch, and front facing camera to install.

I have to travel between Ohio and Georgia for work about a year to year and half till my daughter graduates high school and my wife moves down. Right now I have a 14jk polar edition with rock krawler 3.5” xfactor lift, race line beadlocks, 37s, prorock 44 unlimited front axle, dynatrac trail 60 rear axle, Adams 1350 driveshafts, evo protein skid plates, full psc hydro assist setup with their big bore box and cooler. It has more but you get the gist of it. I beat the hell out of this jeep on rocks wth no issues. Ben to rock garden @ creekbed at Rausch, black trails at windrock. I would like my JL to be able to do some of this stuff until I’m done commuting in it and buy crate 60s and do the same to this my jk does.

My main concern was the front JL axle breaking because of the hole from fad. Thanks for the info.
I'm an Neo transplant to GA as well. I commute back and forth as infrequently as possible!

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Neohiofan

The problem for me driving long distances was the hydro assist. It was so touchy I felt all over the place. Not only that but when it’s windy out for an 8 or 10 hour trip it sucks

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked
when it’s windy out for an 8 or 10 hour trip it sucks

Now this I have to agree with. I drove mine through Wyoming on I-80 during a goddam blizzard. Driving a lifted vehicle with 50 mph crosswinds sucks elephant balls. I was all over the road and had trucks passing me going 80. Not fun.

Top Bottom