EMMA in all her ELEGANCE - TOTAL MAKEOVER of a 1969 Jeepster Commando

Holy smokes! Can I send a few of my junkers up to you?
lol

Seriously though. Very impressive Eddie. Hard to believe this is your first go at a complete restoration. With your attention to detail on all the small stuff. You hit it out of the park.

*edit*

Really wanted to add. My favorite detail are the white letters out on the tires. Really gives it "the look".

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Will Pappy be getting the original treatment or something extra?

Pappy will definitely be getting the original treatment. I just love old iron the way they came from the factory. :cool:

Do you plan to refurb the top too?

Yeah, that is the plan although, I'm kind of hard pressed to ever want to run it. Emma was made to be a convertible and that's how I like her.

Holy smokes! Can I send a few of my junkers up to you?
lol

Seriously though. Very impressive Eddie. Hard to believe this is your first go at a complete restoration. With your attention to detail on all the small stuff. You hit it out of the park.

*edit*

Really wanted to add. My favorite detail are the white letters out on the tires. Really gives it "the look".

Yeah, this was my very first go at something like or at least, from start to finish. I've done a little of this and a little of that over the years and enough to have an idea of what to do but doing the whole thing was a real learning experience.

Regarding the white walls, it was a pain to flip the tires especially by hand but well worth the effort. :yup:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
When we first picked up Emma, she was missing a hood prop rod. Because of it, the previous owner had simply thrown the hood onto the windshield and that ended up putting a crease in it. Needless to say, I was on the hunt for a replacement hood prop rod for a while but couldn't find anything specific to a Jeepster Commando. Being that Jeepster Commandos have enough in common with a CJ, I decided to take a chance and picked up a brand new stainless steel hood prop rod from Kentrol. And, as you can see below, it worked out great!

IMG_6393.jpg

:cool:

jesse3638

Hooked
Regarding the white walls, it was a pain to flip the tires especially by hand but well worth the effort. :yup:

I'm thinking it may be time to invest in a home garage tire machine for as often as you change tires...:crazyeyes: They do look good flipped that way. It seems to be gaining popularity with the drift crowds, and as much as I hate to admit it, I'm kind of liking the bold white lettering look. I know a lot of them are actually some sort of tire decal but they look good.

Edit: Found one for you. It'll do up to 49" tires. Tire Changing Machine

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm thinking it may be time to invest in a home garage tire machine for as often as you change tires...:crazyeyes: They do look good flipped that way. It seems to be gaining popularity with the drift crowds, and as much as I hate to admit it, I'm kind of liking the bold white lettering look. I know a lot of them are actually some sort of tire decal but they look good.

Edit: Found one for you. It'll do up to 49" tires. Tire Changing Machine

LOL!! Oh man, I'm so tempted!!! I actually have a Harbor Freight manual tire changer but it's useless for tires over 30" wide and really, a pain in the ass to use.

jesse3638

Hooked
LOL!! Oh man, I'm so tempted!!! I actually have a Harbor Freight manual tire changer but it's useless for tires over 30" wide and really, a pain in the ass to use.

Yeah I saw those too but I agree they don't look up to the large jobs. I was actually surprised at the cost of the one I sent. I'd have thought they would be 8-10K for something like that.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Holy crap. That was a handful of welding patch surgery, but 100% worth it in the end. Incredible work, she turned out amazing.

Thanks! It was a lot of work and tough, or at least for me anyway being that the metal is so thin.

Yeah I saw those too but I agree they don't look up to the large jobs. I was actually surprised at the cost of the one I sent. I'd have thought they would be 8-10K for something like that.

I've never priced tire machines before thinking that they would be really expensive. I really might have to give them a harder look now :crazyeyes:

jesse3638

Hooked
I've never priced tire machines before thinking that they would be really expensive. I really might have to give them a harder look now :crazyeyes:

Don't let Cindy see it..haha. You saw what happened when she suggested the Handycam...:crazyeyes:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Squeezed in one more project while the weather was still nice. Finally got rid of Emma's old rusty factory gas tank and replaced it with a modern plastic one. Here's a shot of what she had.
20171009212805-d4e7b10e.jpg

From the outside, it actually didn't look too bad but on the inside, it wasn't too pretty.
20171009212809-5f148781.jpg

Shot of the new plastic gas tank.
20171009212813-6338bc17.jpg

Cleaned up the old sending unit and installed it into the new tank.
20171009212821-648e23b4.jpg

And there it is, the new plastic gas tank installed.
20171009212825-b994acfc.jpg

20171009212828-744e22e4.jpg

:cool:

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
That’s good to know there are modern options out there to help further extend the life of some old iron. [emoji2]

BlackKnight

Looks Beautiful,
I've been thinking of finding one of the commandos and going more like the one EVO did a few years back. Comando tub on a JKU frame, but was going to go with an older 4BT Diesel with no electronics, everything analog, full roll caged with the suspensions like the EVO one (probably not 40's though, 37-38's probably)..

Top Bottom