RCV axleshaft question

CKLEM55

I plan on installing some RCV axleshafts on my Rubicon in the near future, I’ve heard nothing bad about these shafts except that when installing them it can be a royal pain in the butt to get that orange boot to seat properly. Has anyone installed these and if so have any helpful tips on getting the boot to seat properly?

Ddays

Hooked
Save your money and go with full circle clip shafts. The boot isn't that hard to install but the shafts start sounding nasty when they wear and you get lovely snap crackle pop noises coming from them that RCV says is normal. Questionable warranty coverage as well. If you'd like to hear in person let me know, I'm in flood city quite often. :thumb:

Edit: To install the boots all you have to do is whack them with a rubber mallet.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Save your money and go with full circle clip shafts. The boot isn't that hard to install but the shafts start sounding nasty when they wear and you get lovely snap crackle pop noises coming from them that RCV says is normal. Questionable warranty coverage as well. If you'd like to hear in person let me know, I'm in flood city quite often. :thumb:

Edit: To install the boots all you have to do is whack them with a rubber mallet.

Yup, what he said ^^^^

For the premium you have to pay, it’s pretty lame how they snap crackle and pop and RCV will call it normal. Also lame how when the splines twist, the call it normal too. Guess that’s how they have have such an awesome “warranty” [emoji849]

As mentioned, save your money and just get a good set of chromoly shafts with full circle clips.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Sullivan

Mine have been very easy to install. Just need to see it done first and it’s easy.
Mine also have been awesome. They held up to my 37’s with my PR44 great. I rebuilt the ends one time but it was really cheap. I will be getting a set on my 60’s soon.

Rubiburst

I stop in once in awhile to see what's happening with everyone but rarely give my .02

Today I'll make an exception. I've had RCV's in my PR44 with Slabs and 37" Nittos for over 4 years now with no noise whatsoever. They have been regularly greased and maintained. Recently I helped rebuild a set and it is pretty straight forward to do...just don't be afraid of the hammer.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Save your money and go with full circle clip shafts....
you get lovely snap crackle pop noises coming from them (RCV says is normal)...
Questionable warranty coverage.
If you'd like to hear in person let me know, I'm in flood city quite often. :thumb:

Yup, what he said ^^^^

As mentioned, save your money and just get a good set of chromoly shafts with full circle clips.
THIS is about as factual as it gets.

Mine have been very easy to install. Just need to see it done first and it’s easy.
Mine also have been awesome. They held up to my 37’s with my PR44 great. I rebuilt the ends one time but it was really cheap. I will be getting a set on my 60’s soon.

I stop in once in awhile to see what's happening with everyone but rarely give my .02

Today I'll make an exception. I've had RCV's in my PR44 with Slabs and 37" Nittos for over 4 years now with no noise whatsoever. They have been regularly greased and maintained. Recently I helped rebuild a set and it is pretty straight forward to do...just don't be afraid of the hammer.

Or, waste your money. It is yours to do with as you please, after all :idontknow: :twocents:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

LOL! Welcome back from 2016. Being that you rarely post, we know a whole lot of nothing about you and because of it, your 2¢ is worth about as much - a whole lot of nothing. :yup:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I haven’t had any trouble with mine yet either. 4-5 pumps of grease every 6months. Got about 3years on them and 25-30k miles.

I hope you don't take this the wrong way but some of us rack up 25k in a year and work from home. Start playing with your Jeep a bit harder and a bit more often.

CKLEM55

Haha we’ll see the thing is I already have them, I actually got them on Black Friday and talked the sales guy into a few more dollars off so I didn’t pay too terribly much more than some circle clip shafts would have been. Oh well I suppose, we’ll see what happens😂

On a side note, any good places in our area that you go wheeling that aren’t on private property? I’ve been trying to find some new places to go!

A.J.

I hope you don't take this the wrong way but some of us rack up 25k in a year and work from home. Start playing with your Jeep a bit harder and a bit more often.

No offense taken. I wish I could play with it more(the Jeep I mean) just my own personal experience. I’ve run full circle clips/chromoly too on several other vehicles. They are plenty tough and waaay less expensive. RCV I agree are awfully expensive. At the time I had the extra $ and wanted to try them. Not sure they are worth it but they’ve been ok so far. We all know we can break anything if we try hard enough.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
No offense taken. I wish I could play with it more(the Jeep I mean) just my own personal experience. I’ve run full circle clips/chromoly too on several other vehicles. They are plenty tough and waaay less expensive. RCV I agree are awfully expensive. At the time I had the extra $ and wanted to try them. Not sure they are worth it but they’ve been ok so far. We all know we can break anything if we try hard enough.

And really, that would be my only point in chiming in on a thread like this - to help others save some money. Having run RCV's in the past, I personally don't think they're worth the significant premium but again, that's just me. How people choose to spend their money is of no concern of mine :yup:

Ddays

Hooked
Haha we’ll see the thing is I already have them, I actually got them on Black Friday and talked the sales guy into a few more dollars off so I didn’t pay too terribly much more than some circle clip shafts would have been. Oh well I suppose, we’ll see what happens😂

On a side note, any good places in our area that you go wheeling that aren’t on private property? I’ve been trying to find some new places to go!

Good luck with that. Its really tough. I frequent the mountains near Benezette/Medix Run a lot. There are quite a few trails if you do some exploring. Or join in on one of the trips to Rausch Creek. Those are always a blast!

nospoon4u

Which chromoly axle shafts brands are recommended? I'm jumping to 37's this summer on my '17 Recon, and also prefer made in USA if possible. I was looking at Yukon's but I can't find any information on their site on where their products are built.

Sullivan

I think a big difference here is the application. Dana 44 vs dana 60. A set of 60 chromoly shafts are pretty tuff. For my 44, I was wearing out or busting chromoly front shafts with 37’s and lockers.
Rcv’s are a good product IMO. For a 44 with 37’s, I don’t feel it’s wasting money. It’s just building the axle to eliminate some failure points.
I’ve wheeled my jeep very hard and all over the country. The RCV’s have been great. No issues except for a rebuild of the liters after about 4 years of hard wheeling.
Just an opinion of mine, so take it for what it’s worth. But I have used them very hard. Harder then most with dana 44’s and 37’s.

Top Bottom