PLEASE - DO NOT Post Up GPS Coordinates or Trail Directions on WAYALIFE

Jimmypaget

This has been said usually at the beginning of a lot of the destinations and beyond threads started by Eddie. Do not give out the GPS coordinates! Shame that all that history is now gone.

CarolinaJK

This is so true. Around my area, there used to be a few trails. Within the past few years they have all been shut down due to assholes ruining them.

bigcale

Caught the Bug
Really disappointing to see things like that take place. I was raised in the mountains of Colorado and California. My farther was a geologist and made sure to show my brother and I all the wonders he could drag us to, whether we wanted to go or not. We went to ghost towns, abandoned mines, abandoned homesteads and points of interest in all the western states. Those are some of the best memories I have of him.

I used to work with a woman who runs a website dedicated to the trails in several western states, she does manages it on her free time and updates it often and does it because she loves to explore. I remember when I started wheeling back in the 90's I had a book that I treated like gold, and it had trails all over Colorado. Sadly some of those trails are now gone, either from environmental jack wagons, flood damage, fires or vandalism. It seems to me that there are a growing number of people out there that seem to have no regard for these types of things, whether it is historical sites or natural sites.

All that being said, I do understand why mine shafts are closed off. Especially vertical ones. They can be cool to explore but also very dangerous. I can recall wandering through one many years ago and coming across a vertical shaft that went down 30+ feet that my friend almost did not see. It is now collapsed and that shaft is no longer accessible and, at least for that one, I am grateful.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Totally get it. A lot of people are assholes, and tear up and wreck things, thinking it's cool or fun.

DINKELROC

This is an epidemic in our area as well, mostly with shooters, I go to places that were cool as a kid and now they have hauled there junk appliances out there to shoot at, and leave spent shells everywhere. Kind of like the lack of appreciation and respect for the Police. When did parents stop teaching respect??? seems like it gets worse with younger generation...sad!

sc_rhino

The problem is once it's on the internet it never leaves. You almost need to pm the info to people or talk to them like we used to do.

Journeyman

Some of our best trips have been by not using the internet. Just going to an area and grabbing a map book. Talking to locals is one of my favorites. They always have such great recommendations that you can't get on the internet. Personal experiences that they want you to experience also.

Big Bad Wolf

It's a real shame places are being destroyed.. This ruins it for everyone.

So, how do you guys feel about in person ? If you came across a solo Jeeper that had traveled thousands of miles and wanted to wheel in the area.. Would you share where trails were ? I don't mean special restricted places, just local trails ?

If someone showed up here I hate to say it but unless you were local you would find no trails. It took me years to find them myself.

The population is low where I live and there are no regualations for wheeling. I could see if hundreds of people came here wheeling it could cause locals to enforce laws and ban trails.

Draconianwinter

This is an epidemic in our area as well, mostly with shooters, I go to places that were cool as a kid and now they have hauled there junk appliances out there to shoot at, and leave spent shells everywhere. Kind of like the lack of appreciation and respect for the Police. When did parents stop teaching respect??? seems like it gets worse with younger generation...sad!

I think parents stopped being parents back 30 years ago sadly. Some still actually do the parent thing and raise their kids right sadly those are far and few in between.

bthomas

Amen! It may be my tin foil hat paranoia, but aside from letting everyone on the inter webs know where exactly your favorite trails are, whether you know them and their habits or not, I've always worried about the Eco nuts finding that same info and using it against us, as in trail closures or sabotage. I've seen too many trail/area closures/restrictions in the twelve years I've been in Arizona. Unfortunately, most have been due to the destruction of the areas or structures. I love nothing more than finding a piece of history still standing, and sharing it with my daughter in hopes she can do the same with her kids some day. Finding those places left intact is getting to be more and more difficult.

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
I think parents stopped being parents back 30 years ago sadly. Some still actually do the parent thing and raise their kids right sadly those are far and few in between.

I disagree, there are a lot of great and amazing parents out there. The media just shows of the douche bags. The normal sane parents are just not thay interest.

thardy

Banned
I disagree, there are a lot of great and amazing parents out there. The media just shows of the douche bags. The normal sane parents are just not thay interest.

There ARE a lot of good parents out there, but there are more that aren't teaching values and respect these days.

sc_rhino

It's a real shame places are being destroyed.. This ruins it for everyone.

So, how do you guys feel about in person ? If you came across a solo Jeeper that had traveled thousands of miles and wanted to wheel in the area.. Would you share where trails were ? I don't mean special restricted places, just local trails ?

If someone showed up here I hate to say it but unless you were local you would find no trails. It took me years to find them myself.

The population is low where I live and there are no regualations for wheeling. I could see if hundreds of people came here wheeling it could cause locals to enforce laws and ban trails.

Of course share your knowledge with that jeeper, just don't post it here.

PB's-12JKU

Great thread, after living in Las Vegas for 26 years I have seen so many trails destroyed over time. Now I have moved to a new place and looking forward to exploring without destroying. I work for a company inside a national park, we have a slogan Inspire, Connect, Preserve.

RedSyndrome

Again, I appreciate your understanding and support. It's so frustrating to see so many people eagerly posting up GPS coordinates or worse, start websites dedicated to the sharing of trails and with detailed information on how to find them. I mean, it'd be one thing if they were just posting up iconic well known trails like the Rubicon, anything in Moab or even off-road parks back east but more and more, I'm seeing these people and sites posting up historical and geological destinations that up until recently, had been hidden gems. Yeah, I know, they're just enthusiastic and "just trying to help" fellow off-roaders but from what I have seen over the years, the places that can be found on the internet are ALL getting shot up, vandalized, burned down or destroyed. ALL the ones that are posted about but have NO real information as to where they're at or how to get to them, are ALL still in amazing condition. It is because of this that Cindy and I make a specific point to not post up any information about a lot of the destinations we know about. And, of the ones that are a bit more well known but are still hard to find information on how to get to them on the internet, we make sure to keep it that way when we do post up about them. This link is an example of one such place.

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?17072-Living-UNDER-a-ROCK-and-a-HARD-PLACE

I am sad to say that a lot of these places, we NEVER take people to unless they are CLOSE PERSONAL friends of ours. It's the only way to make sure that these places aren't posted about on the internet.

Sad but True. I have come across a couple of clubs and groups that won't post up GPS coordinates. I think it is a good idea. Even locally here in the Big Bear area we have a small handful of trails we don't want the general public to know about. With the explosion of Jeeps, UTVs, and quads, areas get over used quickly. Keep it clean and pristine. Pack it in, pack it out and as little impact as possible.

Esum2016

I appreciate and respect the fact you are not only conscious of this issue but that you do what you can to affect it. You have my support.

boardsurfer

I've posted things before that would violate this new rule. It didnt bother me much, but of course I respect the rule and intend to abide..

Then I read this today

Short version: some jackass drove out on the racetrack playa in Death Valley and not only left tire tracks everywhere, actually defaced one or more of the rocks. WTF, man.

I'm so upset about this. As an avid off-roader, and avid photographer, it is just boggling my mind how someone could be so selfish and disrespectful and have such a complete lack of awareness.

I feel like I should apologize for my previous lax attitude towards the whole thing. Never again. :mad:

Top Bottom