On Board air compressor vs tank style air

PHX JK

Onboard Air or Portable Air for tire inflation

I like the Idea of having On Board Air but I kinda like that ARB Kit that comes with the twin Compressor and tank ufffffff its big bucks though.
I just want to be able to air down my 35's and 37's on my next tires. Thanks in advance. I also like the idea of the power tank
PHX

WJCO

Meme King
I like the Idea of having On Board Air but I kinda like that ARB Kit that comes with the twin Compressor and tank ufffffff its big bucks though.
I just want to be able to air down my 35's and 37's on my next tires. Thanks in advance. I also like the idea of the power tank
PHX

Merged thread here. Lots of info.

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
Ever seen an ARB overheat? Got to imagine Nevada would be a good place for it to happen.

I do realize I'm quoting you several months later, but just to add to the discussion you may want to quantify which ARB you're referring to here. I could definitely see that little tiny one overheating if you ask it to air up big tires. It was never meant to do that and doesn't have a 100% duty cycle. The ARB twin compressor is the only one rated at 100% d/c and the only one ARB recommends for use in airing up tires.

Now if you've seen that one overheat, I'd definitely be interested to know.

I'm in the middle of installing the twin on my rig and I chose not to mount it under the hood just to give it a little more help with the heat.

GraniteCrystal

I do realize I'm quoting you several months later, but just to add to the discussion you may want to quantify which ARB you're referring to here. I could definitely see that little tiny one overheating if you ask it to air up big tires. It was never meant to do that and doesn't have a 100% duty cycle. The ARB twin compressor is the only one rated at 100% d/c and the only one ARB recommends for use in airing up tires.

Now if you've seen that one overheat, I'd definitely be interested to know.

I'm in the middle of installing the twin on my rig and I chose not to mount it under the hood just to give it a little more help with the heat.
Just heard of it happening and not sure which model. I'm still planning on the dual compressor and mount it under the seat for the same reason as you.

wjtstudios

Hooked
I've had my dual under the hood for three seasons now and never overheated. Even after airing up 4 sets of 35s and 37s but I always have the hood open. The duty of being the only guy with OBA. The only issue I have had was a bad pressure relay. Once you know how to fix it is a 10 minute repair. I always carry a spare relay now in the jeep. $8 is a cheap issuance policy verses being down on the trail again.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

If I had air lockers, I'd definitely be looking into an ARB twin. I almost bought a twin a few weeks ago. Since I don't have air lockers I decided to make my own Powertank using a fixed 150PSI regulator, a regular 10lb CO2 tank and a hose rated for CO2.

Total spent was about $170 including a refill of CO2. What really helped was finding a tank for $20 off of Craigslist. The system is extremely fast for inflating tires. I'd probably buy a cheap Masterflow/Superflow compressor as a backup later on for the day I run out of CO2 and forgot to refill.

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
I've been using a CO2 tank and I think they're awesome. Can air back up very fast. But I just ordered a prorock with an ARB so I also got the twin compressor. Now I can ditch the 10lb tank and free up a little extra room in the rear of the jeep.

Tire Pumps

My little cheep cigarette lighter tire pump isn't cutting it and I am looking for something that can actually re-inflate my tires when I return to the asphalt in a reasonable amount of time and not get smoking hot after one tire.

There are lots of choices out there that all bear a close resemblance ranging from $29.95 to $450.00. Not sure that I want to risk it on the Harbor Freight quality and not sure I am really getting that much more quality on the ARB products.

What are you all using and are you happy with it? Would you buy it again or would you get something different next time?

I am running 285x17 on the JKU, I usually air down to about 22 psi. I would like it to be portable so that I can use it on other vehicles if necessary.

Thanks for the help.

Steve.

WJCO

Meme King
My little cheep cigarette lighter tire pump isn't cutting it and I am looking for something that can actually re-inflate my tires when I return to the asphalt in a reasonable amount of time and not get smoking hot after one tire.

There are lots of choices out there that all bear a close resemblance ranging from $29.95 to $450.00. Not sure that I want to risk it on the Harbor Freight quality and not sure I am really getting that much more quality on the ARB products.

What are you all using and are you happy with it? Would you buy it again or would you get something different next time?

I am running 285x17 on the JKU, I usually air down to about 22 psi. I would like it to be portable so that I can use it on other vehicles if necessary.

Thanks for the help.

Steve.

I merged your thread here. I think you'll find this thread very useful. If you plan on getting bigger tires in the future, the ARB twin is an awesome machine. With that being said, the ARB single is right about in the middle of the price range you stated and it does a pretty good job. Once you go portable, the cost goes up. ARB does sell either the single or twin in a portable style.

Arrcherr

Caught the Bug

Thanks for the help.

Steve.
I'm using the viar 450p, very happy with it. 100% duty cycle, with auto shutoff so no need to turn it off between tires. Pretty quiet, and very little vibration. In a perfect world I'd rather the ARB twin oba setup but for now I see no reason to swap. I got a great price on mine through amazon so it seemed like a no brainier to me. It's suppose to be able to handle up to 37" tires as well..and yes I'd buy it again

Last edited:

chipper

I use a DIY powertank. I have under $100 into it. Not including the bracket to hold it. It’s a 10lbs cost about $35 to fill. Can fill about 30 tires or so.
I do like this for my set up.
IMG_6268.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom