BUST - Part 2 : The California Emigrant Trail / The Great Platte River Road

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Love how the journey is unfolding. I forgot just how remote and untamed the landscape gets the further west we get from Missouri. Especially the western Nebraska border with Wyoming. Can’t even imagine how it might been back then with almost no civilization( dirt roads, bridges, stops).

Really great job, guys. Can’t wait for the next one.

So glad that you're able to relive all this with us and still enjoy what you see :)

Another great episode.
It's hard to imagine running out of liquor with another 1500 miles to walk. That only 1 in 10 died along the way is testament to how tough people used to be.

LOL - people really were tough back then :yup:

Thank you guys so much for doing this. The whole concept is amazing and I’m loving the videos. I grew up in the Independence area and spent a lot of time hunting in Kansas and Nebraska in my youth. It was great to see the area from your eyes. Keep them coming, I can’t wait to see the Rockies come over the horizon. What that must have felt like from a covered wagon.

The Rockies is coming up next :)

That was a really cool video! It’s amazing what people had to do to travel and survive back then.

What's really amazing is that it was just as hard to stay where they came from. :crazyeyes:

Eddy
This is fantastic, I love history and being a Limey I know all about English and Scottish history but to to see how the west was won is new for me, the grit, the determination, the hardship, the sorrow, the heart break, all of this and more is what America is built on. Love it, more more more please.

Awesome! So glad you're enjoying it :)

Great episodes! They even have my wife's attention...and she hates YouTube! I Never thought I'd look forward to Wednesday! 22:51

LOL - no kidding? That's awesome :)

Its amazing how some of that stuff has made it all these years. 24:11 is my guess again.

Going to some of these places is like stepping back into time. It literally looks just as it had way back then. :yup:

Great video. Thanks for documenting your trip and posting.

Happy to hear you're enjoying it :)

Second part is even cooler then the first one love it[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106] 27:11

I think you'll like part 3 even more :yup:

I bet it did specially the teaser for part 3. Lol
Some of the best times is when your helping a friend on the trail. I know I have had plenty.

Ain't that the truth! :cool:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
such a well put together production. you guys have definitely honed your craft.

Thank you. We really do appreciate it :)

Another great video!
I would say #3 will 19:18

Thank you :)

Finally got a chance to watch. What a cool trip!

Sticking with 48 minutes. Yes, I'm stubborn. [emoji23]

Happy to hear you liked it :)

View attachment 331545
Got my shot glasses today!!! Thank you so much Eddie and Cindy for everything you do!!

And if you can’t tell, I pour very full shots [emoji23]

LOL - awesome :clap2:

Finally able to watch this, been a busy week/weekend. Great video, a lot if cool history and the scenery is changing in a great way the more west you go! Thanks for sharing

Glad to hear you enjoyed this one too :)

I loved the video. Loved the history and the music you put to it. It went too fast. Looking forward to the next one Thanks for making these. I am going to stick with 24:30 for the third one.

So glad you're enjoying the series :)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
And the person who came the closest in guessing the time of Episode 3 is...

I have really enjoyed watching both videos of your journey, especially the history. Can't wait to see Episode 3. My guess is it will be 19:19 long.

Congratulations Ski!! :thumb:

Ski

Continuing our epic overland trek to the west, we crossed into the state of Nebraska and began following a shallow but wide river that stretched across from the Missouri River to the uplands of central Wyoming. For emigrants, it was a natural east to west corridor across the plains and one that provided a much needed source of water. This stretch of the California Emigrant Trail became known as, the Great Platte River Road and in Episode 2 of BUST, you'll get to see us move further away from civilization and visit historic locations such as the Hollenberg Pony Express Station, Rock Creek Station, Fort Kearney and take a tour of the Great Platte River Road Archway Monument. You'll also get to see us visit deep wagon swales at The Sand Hill Ruts and Windlass Hill and see geologic wonders that emigrants used as landmarks to guide their way such as Courthouse and Jail Rocks, Chimney Rock and Scotts Bluff. To wrap things up, you'll get to see us cross into the state of Wyoming, make a stop at Fort Laramie, read the names carved into the face of Register Cliff and finally, stare in awe at the Ayres Natural Bridge. We hope you enjoy.

PLEASE SUBSCRIBE
If you like what you see, want to see more and haven't done so already, please SUBSCRIBE to our YouTube channel by clicking the link below:
https://www.youtube.com/wayalife?sub_confirmation=1

It's hard to imagine but, up until the 1830's, there were only a handful of people in America who had successfully traveled to California and across what was then only known as, the Great American Desert. Most of these people were trappers, traders and missionaries and it wouldn't be until the 1840's that a more defined route was established by early settlers and given the name, The California Trail. Thanks to the discovery of Gold in 1848, there would ultimately be tens of thousands of people who would make the arduous four month journey, one that started along the banks of the Missouri River and ultimately ended in the goldfields of California. Along the way, they would cover over 2,000 miles, cross deep rivers, tall mountains and an unforgiving desert and all at a time when there were no roads, no stores, no hospitals, no laws and no second chances.

For years, Cindy and I had been wondering if it was possible to retrace the California Trail from beginning to end, as closely as possible to the original route and as much as possible, all on dirt. Along the way, we would make stops at historical sites, see deep ruts carved into the hillsides from the thousands of wagons that passed through before us and follow geological landmarks that early pioneers used to guide their way. After two years of extensive research, careful planning and plotting a viable route, we finally set off to make that trek, in our Jeep Wrangler and this video series chronicles our journey.

WIN a Pair of NEW WAYALIFE Shot Glasses!!
If you didn't WIN a pair of WAYALIFE Shot Glasses the last time around, you've got another chance coming your way and all you have to do take a guess as to how long episode 3 will be. Post up your answer here and the person who gets the closest will WIN. Good luck to you!

View attachment 331778

UPDATE: And the person who came the closest in guessing the time of Episode 3 is...

Congratulations Ski!! :thumb:

Sweet! Thank you very much! I can't remember the last time I won anything. I look forward to both receiving the shot glasses and Episode 3. Thanks again Cindy and Eddie, you guys are awesome!

Top Bottom