An idea for Discount Tire (Not sure where else to post this...)

sm31

I'm sure there is a comments section or some such on your website but I believe those of you (from DT) who monitor this forum might be a better audience. :cool:

Request: PLEASE COME TO ALASKA!!!

Certainly there are some shipping challenges, etc. that are different from the lower 48 but it seems the opportunities are substantial.

1) While there are a few fantastic tire dealers around... generally they are not up to the competitive standards your company helped establish. Meaning, you would capture a significant market segment just by showing up.
2) The local population isn't huge but my bet is we spend far more on tires "per person" than the average US city. Many of us have multiple sets of tires, and there is the additional revenue generated by 2 tire changes per year (spring/fall).
3) This is a fairly transient population. IOW, they don't live up here very long most of the time. If you are able to gain a loyal customer here (which should not be difficult), then you are likely to retain their business if/when they move back south.

I'm sure there are additional challenges and advantages. These are just some of the more obvious.

I'm just really hoping I get to do business with you again someday. Currently, Discount Tire Direct will ship here but the rates are so high that they aren't competitive. I did find a well known vendor who automatically ships their automotive products through a transport company (like Lynden Transport) to my door at about 1/3 the price of the usual package delivery guys (Fedex, UPS, etc.). Won't name them here because that is not appropriate but I am happy to PM their info to you if you are interested.

An idea is to set up (or even contract with someone) some sort of free "ship to" office in Seattle, which would then arrange transport to AK for all DTD products. Even though shipping costs would be in the $300 - $500 range, that is still far better than what is available through most of the major vendors now.

I'm sure better minds than mine have evaluated this but I just wanted to pass it along. Thanks!

RCVRY

Just curious, have you looked at buying tires from western Canadian dealers? I dunno just asking. Looking at a map their distribution centers might be closer, but mountains and bears and stuff...ehh?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

RCVRY

Another suggestion, if you’ve identified a market where service or product is lacking; don’t sell yourself short. Conduct surveys in and around your community and build a business model based on the needs and take it to the SBA. You may find funding and support to be the “discount tire” in your area.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Discount Tire

sm31, thank you for your kind words and for taking to time to lay out a plan of action for Discount Tire. I'd love to be able to go to Alaska during the summer months to help out. It would be a fantastic break from the summers in AZ.

I will forward your message along to the correct office for their review. We always appreciate ideas. Have a great weekend. :2thumbsup:

sm31

sm31, thank you for your kind words and for taking to time to lay out a plan of action for Discount Tire. I'd love to be able to go to Alaska during the summer months to help out. It would be a fantastic break from the summers in AZ.

I will forward your message along to the correct office for their review. We always appreciate ideas. Have a great weekend. :2thumbsup:

Awesome! Thank you!!!

RCVRY: That is very good advice! Honestly, I've looked into it a bit. I'm just so busy with other priorities right now that I haven't had the chance to get serious. Maybe in a couple of years... if someone hasn't already "plugged the gap" by then. And even if they do, it's still a win for me and the rest of us up here! :beer:

NorseLife

This is actually a pretty good idea, I don't live that way but one of my best friends lived there from birth to 23. He is always telling us about the tire changes and pressure issues and chain swapping etc etc and how good we have it. I never realized there wasn't a big vendor out there. Hope it happens for you :beer:

Top Bottom