Oscar's No Build Thread

GP NOIR

Hooked
Gorgeous Jeep!

I'm curious- why are you spending money on the steering stabilizer?
Decided to get a flip bracket for the stabilizer. I’m hoping to reuse the tie rod clamp and clear the differential. I’ve heard that some clear and some don’t. I’m thinking that having a Dana 30 is the best case scenario as far as clearance goes.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Gorgeous Jeep!

I'm curious- why are you spending money on the steering stabilizer?
Just to be clear, the bracket is for Oscar, my 2016 JKU. I recently replaced the front stock stabilizer be because it took a few hits last season and was bent. After replacing it with a new Rancho, I thought it might be a good idea to move it up, if possible and let the tie rod protect me. 😆 hope that answers your question.

A0C7897A-B987-42A2-98A3-20BB11AB7062.jpeg

GP NOIR

Hooked
Just to be clear, the bracket is for Oscar, my 2016 JKU. I recently replaced the front stock stabilizer be because it took a few hits last season and was bent. After replacing it with a new Rancho, I thought it might be a good idea to move it up, if possible and let the tie rod protect me. 😆 hope that answers your question.

View attachment 372795
Partially. I'm wondering why spend money to replace the stabilizer at all? It does nothing to help the steering, just damp any hits the tires take, which the power steering system does a good job of on its own. I'm wondering if there's something I'm missing about the JK steering. When the stabilizer goes bad on my Jeep, I'm gonna pull it off and chuck it.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Partially. I'm wondering why spend money to replace the stabilizer at all? It does nothing to help the steering, just damp any hits the tires take, which the power steering system does a good job of on its own. I'm wondering if there's something I'm missing about the JK steering. When the stabilizer goes bad on my Jeep, I'm gonna pull it off and chuck it.
My understanding is that it dampens shocks to the steering system and keeps them from resonating through the steering wheel. It’s probably more of a comfort thing than anything else. Some people do just like you said and chuck them. I’m in the camp of I have a nice riding Jeep and want to keep it that way. After all, the replacement stabilizer was only $50 and the flip bracket was even less.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Got the flip bracket installed and pretty happy with the result.

Before:
7CE71BD8-E4CC-4322-B05F-C586927F67EB.jpeg

After:
41DE7DAF-F5B9-4430-A9A2-49073F914585.jpeg

I used only 2 of the 3 mounting bolts since one looks like it would be in conflict with the track bar under full compression:
286B7D06-42DE-466C-A04E-745A8D0E5D69.jpeg
20AAE50B-D653-4A1E-957E-15DA76EDB01D.jpeg

I also turned the tie rod clamp from 90 deg to about 110 deg to give maximum clearance between the clamp and differential cover:
37FE1807-5E5C-44FC-89C2-D8379B562EE7.jpeg

GP NOIR

Hooked
My understanding is that it dampens shocks to the steering system and keeps them from resonating through the steering wheel...
Yes, this is so. The power steering system does a good job damping the shocks as well.

I’m in the camp of I have a nice riding Jeep and want to keep it that way. After all, the replacement stabilizer was only $50 and the flip bracket was even less.
Gotcha!

GP NOIR

Hooked
No. No it doesn’t. At all.
Can you explain further? Back in the 90s, the thinking was the power steering system does dampen inputs from the road. My own experience is the power steering dampens road/trail inputs better than manual steering

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Meet Atlas, our 2022 Jeep Wrangler, Sahara JLU in Silver Zynith. We special ordered this beauty on February 2nd and took delivery just 33 days later on March 7th. Incredible how customer orders are prioritized for quick delivery! Atlas will be our travel vehicle as we spend more time on the road taking the kid to college and exploring this great country of ours. That being said, we don’t have a long list of future mods other than maybe LED head/fog lights and maybe some metal side steps/sliders. A couple of things that are already taken care of is the cancellation of auto stop/start and fog light drop with high beams via JScan App. Since we will be driving long stretches we opted for the Sahara trim with full leather, premium audio, navigation and 2.0 I4 Turbo engine. We are super stoked and looking forward to destination filled adventures!
8D19F2EB-2826-40CE-8B46-CA0EBFB0E3DE.png 7B809FB2-79E9-4185-9955-C72959C2F215.png 425C6018-9501-4ECA-9B3C-3E522DF9A6AE.jpeg

Top Bottom