My life with a Brick

jeeeep

Hooked
I must be doing it upside down? The top part of the screw on my press is up against the top of the coil, even with that side drooped. The papers from Dynatrac say remove the top one first

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

i didn't take any pics but i removed the bottom 1st then put the screw through the bottom and pressed the top one out.

reversed to install - top in then bottom. I did find the press-in cup in my Jeep kit wasn't deep enough, it was hitting the spindle so I ended up getting a 4wd balljoint loaner kit from Orielly auto parts with a deeper install cup to install the Dynatrac ball joints.

if you have the Dynatrac spacer washers that'll make up the for extra space needed on the Jeep install cup

JKbrick

i didn't take any pics but i removed the bottom 1st then put the screw through the bottom and pressed the top one out.

reversed to install - top in then bottom. I did find the press-in cup in my Jeep kit wasn't deep enough, it was hitting the spindle so I ended up getting a 4wd balljoint loaner kit from Orielly auto parts with a deeper install cup to install the Dynatrac ball joints.

if you have the Dynatrac spacer washers that'll make up the for extra space needed on the Jeep install cup

Thanks I'll try that, it makes sense. I'm one of those weirdos that reads instructions and manuals for everything I get! I did purchase the spacers from them also

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I must be doing it upside down? The top part of the screw on my press is up against the top of the coil, even with that side drooped. The papers from Dynatrac say remove the top one first

That is correct. It'll scrap the coil bucket sometimes but you can shift the axle if needed. Biggest thing is making sure the press is on the ball joint and not the thing to press the knuckle.

You are trying to press it up and out correct?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

JKbrick

That is correct. It'll scrap the coil bucket sometimes but you can shift the axle if needed. Biggest thing is making sure the press is on the ball joint and not the thing to press the knuckle.

You are trying to press it up and out correct?

Yes, up and out. I had to go run an emergency page to work and when I get back I'll put it back on like I had it and post a pic. Seems like my press kit could have had a few extra adapters, I had to improvise with a 1/2" stainless steel pipe union to push up because the piece it shows to use hits my gussets

Heavyhaul07

Ok here is what I've got going
View attachment 236689
View attachment 236690

I've had to undo the track bar on one end and use a ratchet strap from frame to axle and pull the axle over a few inches in order to do passenger side. Leave track bar undone until finished with both side put wheels and tires on set back on ground and reinstall track bar. Takes 2 have someone turn the steering wheel in on direction or the other as you line up the track bar and slide the bolt through and tighten.

Hope that helps

JKbrick

Thinking I'm either going to have to pull the whole axle out from under it and use my impact or throw a sheet over the mother fucker till I can order a pro rock with pro steers installed already. I have a 24" breaker bar with the handle off my floor jack as a cheater bar and they won't budge. Never been one to give up on anything but I'm really close

madstiles

Mine were stuck also. Once I tightened the press I smacked the cast steel with a big ass hammer and it moved a bit retightened press and repeat

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Heavyhaul07

Thinking I'm either going to have to pull the whole axle out from under it and use my impact or throw a sheet over the mother fucker till I can order a pro rock with pro steers installed already. I have a 24" breaker bar with the handle off my floor jack as a cheater bar and they won't budge. Never been one to give up on anything but I'm really close

I use my impact while on jeep and smack the side of the knuckle with a bfh or beat the knuckle with the bfh while u have as much tension you can get on it with your breaker bar. Your not going to hurt the knuckle with the bfh. Hit the knuckle on all three sides. Hit it as hard as u can then but more tension on the press and repeat

Heavyhaul07

If you need to go to Home Depot or lows hardware store what ever is closer and get a map gas torch and heat up the knuckle. The yellow bottle torch kit. Gets hotter that the propane torch. Heat it up while the press is on and smack the knuckle with the bfh

I know they can be a PIA but I think your using the wrong adapter if it really is not budging at all. Hit the mother effer with a BFH and get an impact on it. It's going to pop out.

jeeeep

Hooked
looking at the pics it looks like the cup where the balljoint drops into isn't deep enough.

once it starts to press out it'll bottom out in the cup and won't budge

I had that issue at 1st and had to get the 4wd joint kit to get a deeper cups - or cut off the studs above the threads. but you'll still need a deep cup to press them in

Kalums

After reading this thread... I think when mine go I'm just going to order the Dynatrac kit with the PR44 front and axle shafts for the rear... I've done ball joints before on a dodge and a Chevy (both pickups) but I am disinclined to do these ones. holy crap I feel for you JKbrick.

Sent from my SM-N910P using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom