Experinces with Cooper Discoverer STT Pro's

Ddays

Hooked
Holy shit! I've never seen that happen to any tire. :shock: Even a retread doesn't come apart on the sidewall like that. Man, I'd love to hear what they say the cause of this was.

jdofmemi

I've had the same thing happen on a General tire before.

The tread separates from the carcass of the tire due to poor lamination. It is a manufacturing defect, rare, but it can happen.

I drove 60 miles on mine, as my spare had already been used that trip. This was back in the late 90s on a 2500 Dodge. I was running 90+ when it happened, and nearly lost control.

As stated above, make sure they check the batch numbers, and press hard to get all of them replaced, not just the bad one.

Good luck

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Discount tire I will be heading over there first thing Monday morning. Can’t blame them and I’m pretty sure they will take care of me. Yea no warning just bam tire came apart. Scared the shit out of my wife.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

How old are the tires? I have seen something similar due to age of the tires. They were Goodyear’s.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Yep. That happened to a Firestone tire that came on a ‘97 GMC I had. One tire, only. I put high mileage on the rest.

jeeeep

Hooked
I had that happen on a General tire I had on my 78 Cherokee Chief, I was told it delaminated because I drove too fast for too long at low tire pressure.

At the time, a 33 was considered large lol

Edwrds

Caught the Bug
It sounds like it delaminated like the Firestone tires did in the early 90s. Did the main tread come off like a complete ring or in one piece?

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Complete ring.

Edwrds

Caught the Bug
How old are the tires? I have seen something similar due to age of the tires. They were Goodyear’s.

May of this year they are 2 years old. I have a commuter car I drive every day that’s why the low mileage.

Edwrds

Caught the Bug
Well I’ll find out Monday. If any of you know the process or who at Cooper I need to contact please fill free to help me out.

Well I’ll find out Monday. If any of you know the process or who at Cooper I need to contact please fill free to help me out.

Post up what they say, they’re at risk of losing a lot of future sales over that guy and their answers. Hope they shed some light on it.

Jkzinger

Caught the Bug
I hope it is. The fact it happened, and the way it happened, makes me personally lose faith in their safety, and depending on the answers he gets from them will effect my next tire purchase, I’m sure I’m not alone.

Although I didn’t have anything like this happen with my Coops I am glad I shit canned them for Mud Grapplers.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Edwrds

Caught the Bug
Looks like standard blow out remains. Wonder what caused it.

I would agree with you but it didn’t go flat right away. No idea what caused it just sharing my experience with them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom