MAINTENANCE: 2007-11 Jeep JK Wrangler 3.8L V6 Engine Oil Change

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As everyone knows, changing your engine oil is a necessary part of routine maintenance on your Jeep JK Wrangler and, it’s one that is required on a regular basis. Fortunately, it’s also something that is super easy to do, something that just about anyone can do and, something that can save you a money. Of course, for those of you who have never changed your own engine oil before, this short write-up will explain in detail what all is involved and just how little you will need to do. And, after you done this on your own, I can almost guarantee that you’ll never take your Jeep back to your dealer or a shop to have it done for you again.

If you have a 2012-up Jeep JK Wrangler with a 3.6L V6 Pentastar Engine, click on this link:
2012 Jeep JK Wrangler 3.6L V6 Pentastar Engine Oil Change Write-Up

What you will need
• 13mm Socket
• Ratchet
• Oil Filter Wrench
• Oil Catch Pan
• Funnel
• Oil Filter
• 6 Quarts 5W20 Oil
• Empty Milk Jug

Brands & Part Numbers
When it comes to oil, I prefer to use Mobil 1. As is instructed in the owners manual for the Jeep JK Wrangler, I use this in a 5W20 weight.As far as filters go, again, I prefer to use Mobile 1 but, if I can’t find one at my parts store, I use Purolator PureONE. Here are the part numbers you will need for each:

Mobil 1 #M-102
Purolator PureONE #PL10241

Instructions
Here’s a shot of pretty much everything you will need to change the oil in your 2007-11 Jeep JK Wrangler. As you can see, in addition to 6 quarts of oil, you will also need a filter, some tools and a means to collect your used oil.
main.php

1. Place a catch pan on the ground directly under the oil pan and then, using a 13mm socket, loosen but do not remove the drain bolt.
main.php

2. Finish removing the drain bolt by hand so that you don’t loose it in the catch pan below. Allow the oil drain completely. Once drained reinstall the drain bolt.
main.php

3. Move the oil catch pan so that it is sitting under the the oil filter which is located on the front of your engine. Then, use a filter wrench or strap wrench to remove the oil filter.
main.php

4. Open up your new oil filter and apply a light coat of used engine oil on to the rubber gasket as shown.
main.php

5. Install the new oil filter onto engine and tighten it on by hand.
main.php

6. Pop open the hood and remove the oil fill cap which is located on the passenger side of the engine.
main.php

7. Place a funnel into the fill hole on your engine and proceed to refill it back up with 6 quarts of 5W20 oil. When finished, reinstall the fill cap.
main.php

That’s all there is to it. If you have a 2008 or newer Jeep JK Wrangler and need to turn off the CHANGE OIL warning, all you need to do is turn your key to the ON position without starting your engine and then push your accelerator pedal to the floor 3 times. Turn your key off and you should be good to go.

Like I said before, super simple and easily something that anyone can do. Please be sure to clean up your mess and take your used oil to a recycling center. Most autoparts store such as PepBoys, Kragen/Checkers will take your used oil free of charge. Please let me know if you have any questions.

matt08jk

Awesome! Doing this next week...I fill a little dumb having paid people my whole life to do this for me. Thanks for the write-ups!

Red Dragon

for me the worst thing in Jeeps (Ive never had american cars before, only land cruisers) is 90 degrees angle of oil running out. you can loose some oil so you need to be prepared to clean your yard. in land cruisers oil goes straight down, so you wouldnt loose a single drop.

big rick

5w-30?

I was able to get my hands on some Royal Purple 5w-30 synthetic...Yay or Nay? Currently living in San Diego. Thanks.

Big Rick

big rick

Army Vet...thanks for the info. I appreciate it. The only reason I was going to use it was because someone had given it to me for free. 12 qts for $0.00. Hard to beat that price!

Army_Vet

Banned
Army Vet...thanks for the info. I appreciate it. The only reason I was going to use it was because someone had given it to me for free. 12 qts for $0.00. Hard to beat that price!

To save you the read.... the bottom line was use it... it is just not up to all the hype..... for free I might change my mind...

Kopperhed

As everyone knows, changing your engine oil is a necessary part of routine maintenance on your Jeep JK Wrangler and, it’s one that is required on a regular basis. Fortunately, it’s also something that is super easy to do, something that just about anyone can do and, something that can save you a money. Of course, for those of you who have never changed your own engine oil before, this short write-up will explain in detail what all is involved and just how little you will need to do. And, after you done this on your own, I can almost guarantee that you’ll never take your Jeep back to your dealer or a shop to have it done for you again.

Nice pics. Two tips from an ex pro luber dude....

1. take off the valve cover cap & remove dipstick before draining..... in case the breather is clogged up at all causing suction in the crankcase, this will allow the oil to drain out faster.

2. Change the oil filter before draining the crankcase....... anyone that has dropped an oil filter into a nearly full oil pan and gotten splashed will know why..... you get less than a 1/4 qt of oil in the pan from the filter.

Keep calm & Jeep on

Kopperhed

Dune Crawler

oil change keeps popping up on dashboard but I'm just low on oil can I just top off on what already in there? Does it have to be the same oil? (Don't remember exactly other than it was a synthetic)

Life's a beach

M_Savage

Caught the Bug
are there going to be any codes or dash lights that come on after doing this myself? i don't have anything to override them or anything like that.

Edit: Never mind i see that it is stated in the write up.
another question: would anyone recommend using synthetic or just standard?

Last edited:

rvaught

Oil change

So basic was looking everywhere for how many quarts got that and a tool list as always thanks for the great info

moto450r

A trick to keep the oil that is in the oil filter contained while removing the filter.
1. Cut a used gallon oil jug
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1461615301.967252.jpg

2. Place the jug on top of the axle and make sure it extends fully beneath the oil filter. This can be done from the top, no need to crawl underneath the Jeep.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1461614510.012107.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1461614528.229826.jpg

3. Remove the filter slowly and allow the oil to drain into the jug. The oil filter can be placed into the jug once it is fully removed.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1461614841.422019.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1461614336.700765.jpg
    ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1461614336.700765.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 325

BaddestCross

A trick to keep the oil that is in the oil filter contained while removing the filter.
]

3. Remove the filter slowly and allow the oil to drain into the jug. The oil filter can be placed into the jug once it is fully removed.
View attachment 200147

Lol! I wish I read this thread earlier. I just missed my face with a shower of oil from the filter today.

Gadget

Caught the Bug
Was just reading a thread where most of the guys have switched from 5w20 to 5w30 in their 3.8's, gonna change the oil in my wife's 2010 with 81k this weekend and wondered if this would be a good idea on someone else's jeep?

Top Bottom