Why can't Jeep Dealerships have Enthusiasts sell their vehicles??

roguejeep008

I Went to a new Jeep dealership in town today. I seriously hate car salesmen. I'm talking about Jeeps and capabilities. Mentioned how I think that even base models should have at minimum, limited slip and how I got stuck playing in the snow this past winter. He responded, "that's why you got stuck, you were out playing in snow." I respond, "What else am I supposed to do in a Jeep?" He simply says, "drive on dry pavement." there's nothing else to really say...I walked away after a couple other random questions that he stumbled to answer and seemed confused as to why I would ask to have the dealership swap my stock stubby mod bumper. I told him, I was just going to chop the new one too...so why not just have you swap them so when they sold mine it had a stock bumper on it for whoever was looking to buy it. Dealership had the first 10th anniversary Rubicons I had seen in the city...about 8...all Unlimited and hardtop..Don't think I saw a soft top on the lot and only a couple 2 door models. Needless to say, I probably won't be shopping this dealership if and when I'm ready to trade up from my 08 X.

RedFox

Why "trade up" an 08 when you can simply "build up"? I'm sure the cost of an engine tranny swap would be less than the cost of a brand new Rubi...

DCR JEEP

I Went to a new Jeep dealership in town today. I seriously hate car salesmen. I'm talking about Jeeps and capabilities. Mentioned how I think that even base models should have at minimum, limited slip and how I got stuck playing in the snow this past winter. He responded, "that's why you got stuck, you were out playing in snow." I respond, "What else am I supposed to do in a Jeep?" He simply says, "drive on dry pavement." there's nothing else to really say...I walked away after a couple other random questions that he stumbled to answer and seemed confused as to why I would ask to have the dealership swap my stock stubby mod bumper. I told him, I was just going to chop the new one too...so why not just have you swap them so when they sold mine it had a stock bumper on it for whoever was looking to buy it. Dealership had the first 10th anniversary Rubicons I had seen in the city...about 8...all Unlimited and hardtop..Don't think I saw a soft top on the lot and only a couple 2 door models. Needless to say, I probably won't be shopping this dealership if and when I'm ready to trade up from my 08 X.

Yeah that's true^^. Jeep wranglers are the number one vehicle that holds the most value next would be dodge ram trucks. If you hold on to for long then it's just going to increase in value. I would just build on to it like he said jeeps aren't cheap!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
-Big E

bl17z90

I actually had a guy who understood our way of life when i bought mine. He told me about the wave how there sre forums and how people around each other get together and hang out just because they all have jeeps. He didnt say much about wheeling but that was ok with me, because i didnt know much.

bornjeep

I love selling cars because I like matching people to the car. I currently don't sell as I'm not a crook. I'm moving in November to spend the next 4 or 5 years in my home town to get ready for retirement. I'm going to talk to the local jeep dealer about selling jeeps and giving lessons etc. I think it will be really fun and get lots of customers once they advertise an actual jeeper on hand. Plus I'm thinking he could help sponsor the new upcoming jeep trails I'm working with the local govts to open near a couple small local lakes.

dahreno

Banned
Most salesmen are just salesmen and neither give a crap about what they sell or know anything about what they sell . Very seldom do you go to a car dealer , especially a Jeep dealer , and they know anything about their product. It's a real shame .

jmm176

My dealer bent over backwards....mostly because he wanted my 2011, don't know if he bought it or not. He drove from Fresno to reno to do a dealer trade because at the time that was the only white with black top and flares he could find

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using WAYALIFE mobile app

Tranquillity

Sometime your salesman was selling Kia the week before so I guess you have to "select" which one you'll be dealing with. Might avoid more dumbass comment like "why would you take you jeep out of pavement". I can't believe someone said that, especially a jeep salesman but y'know they're also selling fiat now...

Benito

Caught the Bug
I practically sold a jeep to the salesmen that was going to make the commission off of the jeep I bought from him

crowrb29

The salesman I bought my JKU from was trying to sell me every vehicle on the lot but the jeeps. He even showed me a KIA. I couldn't get it through his head that all I wanted was a wrangler. I guess at the end of the day they have to run a business though b

munstie

No one at the dealership I bought mine could believe I was gonna take it offroad, and to this day when I'm in there they still act amazed.:rolleyes:

2011 JKU 3.5 R.E. Longarm lift.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
I was lucky. The 'salesman' that I worked with to get my 13' was a friend and former soldier of mine. He owned a JK while in the Army, and when he got out he started working at a Jeep dealership. I contacted him in NY, and he worked a deal with the local dealership here in Columbia to get me a 2013 at a lower price that the 12s they were trying to get rid of on the lot. The salesman here in Columbia said that's the first time he has ever witnessed or heard of an out of state dealership working a deal like that in his 20 years of selling cars. Pays to have friends in the right places!!

Atch

When I bought my wife's jeep we had a brand new salesman that didn't know anything about jeeps! I was actually happy about that cause I knew what options I wanted and didn't want and he wasn't trying to up sell anything cause he knew I was familiar with everything jeeps have to offer. I would definitely buy another jeep from someone like that cause I hate when they try to talk out of their ass!

jeepster95

Lol I just boght a 04 Rubicon, upgraded for a 95 YJ that I had for 14 years, My salesman actually asked if I would take the top off, LOL I told him I sold my last haed top and doors because they were never on it, But I dont use it in the winter here in Michigan.

1yellowjk

When selling your Jeep don't go to a dealership that sponsors a lot of 'off road" stuff...the manager and appraiser will know that you probably ran your jeep through the ringer. Wash it, detail it out (motor and under carriage) make sure and use some flat black paint to get rid of rock rash and make it look like you drove to the mall and back and mods were done just for looks.

When buying a Jeep it really doesn't matter about the salesmans knowledge, a good buyer should know more about the Jeep than the salesman, remember your NOT buying a mini-van, so do your homework.

If your sales PERSON is a dick, ask to speak with the manager and deal directly with him/her...you'll probably end up getting a better deal...if the manager won't help you then walk out...they don't need to sell Jeeps that bad and therefore might not get the best deal.

I have bought MANY new cars over my life. :)

JT2012Jk

It's funny cause I was thinking about this same subject a few months back. Took the wife's JKU to the dealership for some maintenance and wandered out to look at some Rubi's. Of course the vulchers started circling. Started talking with one of them about specs. Now I'm no expert by any means, but this guy seemed to know nothing. I asked about the possibility of a rubi x and I got a blank stare. At this point to break the awkward silence of me judging him, he tried to steer the subject to my buying a dodge.I laughed and walked away.

I saw the salesman huddling with the others and glaring at me minutes later lol

JT

Aeraun

I find it ironic how you see this in a lot of dealerships - salesmen knowing nothing about what they are trying to sell. Before I got my JKU and I was shopping around I had an interest in the Ford Focus ST. I went to the dealership by me, which is one of busiest ford dealerships in the country, roughly a couple of months before it released to ask when they were getting any and once I said ST they were like huh? I had also called and whoever answered had to put me on hold to ask what the hell I was talking about. I couldn't believe that no one at the dealership even knew it was coming out let alone when. I was lucky enough though that for my Jeep I had a great salesmen. He didn't know too much about the wayalife - had a basic idea and told me about the wave and such - but I told him I wanted do get into wheeling and he at least acknowledged that thats what these things are made for.

KPM171

Having worked in a dealership myself, I'm always floored by how many dealerships have sales people that don't give two sh!ts about cars. They could be just as happy selling cotton candy or lawn mowers or dish washers. If you've found a dealership that knows Wranglers and is passionate about them, hang on to that place and let your Jeep friends know.

I've called out many a local dealership who like to toss some heavy 35's on a JKU and jack up the price $10,000 for $4,000 worth of wheels/tires/budget boost and couldn't be bothered to put a proper tire carrier on to support the added weight. Some even have the decency to hang their heads in shame knowing they've done it wrong. Some don't. Don't shop from the ones that don't know any better.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
I remember test driving a vehicle once. Got in with the salesperson and first thing he did was crank up the radio. I turned it off and said I could give two shits about the radio I'm here for the vehicle.:)

I've even schooled some people at the dealership...and I really don't know as much as most.

dreinecke

Dealers

I've been fortunate! My dealership has an awesome staff. My saleswoman, Kelly, is fantastic and is a Jeeper. She has several, including a monster she and her husband have built. She knows Jeeps VERY well. I was so happy with her when getting my 2012 JKU, I used her for our 2013 JKU and the son's 2014 Patriot.

They are rare, but they do exist.

Top Bottom