Cut/Trim stock PAINTED Fenders????

Wolff1

I know tons of rigs have trimmed the factory fenders to get more tire clearance.
Has anyone cut factory painted fenders?
Does the paint chip when you cut them?
Are there any tried and trued methods for doing this?
Or should I just plan on a touch up or respray?

Millerj87

When all done cutting use some sand paper to soften the edges then use some automotive door trim and a heat gun to give a professional look to the cut edges

Sent from my iPhone on the west coast of florida

Wolff1

When all done cutting use some sand paper to soften the edges then use some automotive door trim and a heat gun to give a professional look to the cut edges

Yeah I've seen the trim on there and I'm on the fence about it..... My Jeep is White with white painted fenders and im not sure black trim would look ok. Anyone have this combo?

Im really just curios if the paint chips WHILE cutting. Can i get a clean edge that isnt going to look all jagged from the paint chipping from the cuting of the fender. I've never cut painted plastic before so I'm not sure what Im getting into.

sean.m.adams33

I'm not sure about white painted fenders but I've seen a lot of people chop the fenders and not use door molding and it looks really clean. I chopped my painted fenders but used door molding.

Here is my white jeep with white trimmed fenders. It took me about an hour and a half to do all 4. Really not hard at all and the paint does not chip while you cut it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Attachments

• 1376174397205.jpg
    1376174397205.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 231
  • 1376174411504.jpg
    1376174411504.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 220
  • 1376174426751.jpg
    1376174426751.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 218
You can get a clean edge. after I cut it I used a metal file and then sand paper to smooth out then I did put door trim around it to make it look perfect(helps hide the valleys if you dont cut perfectly straight) I was really nervous before I did it but the first one is the hardest

its up to you about how much you want to cut off I took everything I could see off and they don't flap at all then you trim the fender liner in front and remove the rear then I took some black spray paint and painted everything that is white with the black under the fenders

Wolff1

Here is my white jeep with white trimmed fenders. It took me about an hour and a half to do all 4. Really not hard at all and the paint does not chip while you cut it

Thats exactly what I'm wanting to do. good to know I can cut them up without cracking up the paint.

Thats exactly what I'm wanting to do. good to know I can cut them up without cracking up the paint.

Ya its easy just follow the youtube video he's trimming black fenders but it works the same

matt1171

I've cut quite a few, both painted and regular. They cut the same. Never had a problem with the paint chipping. Here's mine...
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1376175836.454765.jpg

Kneece

Looks Good!

Sent by Pony Express

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
I cut my painted fenders and didn't use the black edging. I didn't have any problems with the paint wanting to come off. It takes a little more time to smooth out the edges for a nice finish but the result is very nice. Here are a couple pics before I put the finishing touches on.

fender.jpg

fender1.jpg

I taped the line I wanted to cut with blue masking tape before cutting, just eyeballed it. I used a dremel tool and cut on top edge of my tape (that was my line). Follow the video on project-jk about how to chop the inner front liner.

Here are the tools I used.

dremmel.jpg

After cutting with the dremel there is a lot of plastic and it's rough. Used the below wood rasp to smooth things out and get a nice straight edge.

rasp.jpg

Used this vibratory sander with medium grit to get things all nice and smooth. Then moved to a fine grit to really finish things off. I'll get a pic of how they look now.
sander.jpg

Millerj87

Nice bro they look badass and I love crush wish I could have found that or gecko when I bought my 13 JKU

Top Bottom