Hard top repair question.

David1tontj

I'd like to know! I've cracked mine too! I thought about just trying to fix it like a surfboard with some Fiberglass and resin. Hope we get a good answer!

Last edited:
Depending on where the crack or damage is will determine how well the repair will hold up. Do you have a picture of where the damage is and how long? This would help out on suggestions to fix it. A repair on a corner is going to be different than in the middle of the roof. Different load bearing and flex issuses.

R/
Will

Markymark420

To properly fix it would take some specialized equipment to scarf back the fiber plies and to pull a vacuum during lay up cure.
I agree, the location and extent of damage is key to recommending the best repair. Post some scaled pics.

Sent via Ku SATCOM using the WAYALIFE mobile app

Tranquillity

I'll try to take a picture tomorrow. It's stored but I can manage something. And it's cracked on the bottom corner.

I'll try to take a picture tomorrow. It's stored but I can manage something. And it's cracked on the bottom corner.

When you take your pictures use something as a reference to how big the damaged area is. This will give me a better understanding of how much damage is there and to what extent.

Are there any loose or missing pieces?

Do you have any composite repair experience?

What type of tools do you have?

Most of the supplies you will need can be purchased from an auto parts store like Pepboys, Autozone, O'Rilley's etc...

R/
Will

I crunched the rain gutter on the passenger rear of mine while out on the trail. Climbed over a driver's side rock and it tilted me into the tree. :doh:

It's not a huge issue at this point, but I was thinking I'd take it by a body shop that does fiberglass work, or boat place to see what they'd charge to fix it. I think it's only cosmetic unless I'm running a risk of rot with the cracks that spider out from it.

Markymark420

Does the crack extend all the way to the weatherstripping and is it cracked all the way thru, or just the exterior?

Do you just want to fix it so that it is functional? Or, do you want it to look new?

mrmet1983

Honestly with my old tj hard top just get some color matched silicone and call it a day

I don't always wheel , but when I do I keep it tight......... Stay dirty my friends.

dis_dis

Banned
I had a smaller crack/chunk missing out of mine and used resin and fiberglass to fill it in. Worked pretty well.
I've also seen some nice write ups and youtube videos on the subject, just an fyi

Tranquillity

Does the crack extend all the way to the weatherstripping and is it cracked all the way thru, or just the exterior?

Do you just want to fix it so that it is functional? Or, do you want it to look new?

Yeah it's cracked all the way trough the weather strip. I think I'm just going to put some resin and call it a day. Don't want much trouble, it's just a "spare" top since I have another one so might consider giving it away or patent something out of it. :question:

Markymark420

Sand down, to remove and loose material.
Mix a 10:1 ratio of resin and chopped fiber.
Apply mixture to outer surface and allow sufficient time to cure.
Mix new batch of resin/chopped fiber 10:1 and apply to inner surface and allow for sufficient cure.
Block sand to match adjacent contour.
Prime and paint repair area.

Sand down, to remove and loose material.
Mix a 10:1 ratio of resin and chopped fiber.
Apply mixture to outer surface and allow sufficient time to cure.
Mix new batch of resin/chopped fiber 10:1 and apply to inner surface and allow for sufficient cure.
Block sand to match adjacent contour.
Prime and paint repair area.

X2. Be sure to work the resin into the crack with a stirring stick. I would also take a 1 gallon ziplock back filled with water and place on the first application. This will help work the resin into the crack. On the inside I would put some tape over the crack to keep the squeeze out from dripping through.
Some boat shops and even auto parts stores has the fiberglass mat in a powder which you can also use. The key is mixing the resin. Mix it too hot and it can start smoking and set too fast. Not using he right ratio will cause the resin to not set properly.

If you want to stiffen up the area apply two layers of mat on the inside changing directions of the matting.

Post pictures of your progress. Interested in seeing how it turnds out.

R/
Will

Last edited:
Top Bottom