Opinions on JKL Wranglers

movr

Has anybody looked into or heard anything on these JKL Wranglers? Apparently, they're up in Mesa, AZ and have built a few, it looks like. One for the folks at Poison Spyder and they're doing the "Stomper" build, which is the JK that was in the OK tornado and continued to run after being pummeled by the Cat 5. I'm pretty sure there was a thread somewhere around here on Stomper. Anyways, I was just a bit curious of what y'all thought and/or knew about them. They look interesting to me.

http://jklwrangler.com/

Oh, and by the way a big Jeep wave from the good ole Sonoran Desert! :standing wave:

~movr

Heholua

Has anybody looked into or heard anything on these JKL Wranglers? Apparently, they're up in Mesa, AZ and have built a few, it looks like. One for the folks at Poison Spyder and they're doing the "Stomper" build, which is the JK that was in the OK tornado and continued to run after being pummeled by the Cat 5. I'm pretty sure there was a thread somewhere around here on Stomper. Anyways, I was just a bit curious of what y'all thought and/or knew about them. They look interesting to me.

Oh, and by the way a big Jeep wave from the good ole Sonoran Desert! :standing wave:

~movr

I like them! If I were to buy another JK, that's what I would buy.:yup:
:standing wave:

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
I just got emails back from Eric at Kustom Koachworks yesterday about doing this conversion. I think it looks great, and the wheelbase stretch of 10" will have great benefits on and off the road. I had a few questions that he answered very quickly, now time to weigh my options and make a decision!!

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
Here is what Eric informed me on about the conversion.....

Eric Muilenberg

ToJoe Gonzales

Hi Joe,
Where did you here about our JKL stretch? The optional set up for the rear seat is to relocate it 2" further back than stock. This would give you 8" more cargo room behind the rear seat. If you don't want the extra leg room we can keep it in the stock location, this would give you all 10" behind the rear seat. I will send photos in another e-mail.

The standard stretch runs $8500 and includes the following:

Stretching the frame and body 10", refinishing all affected areas, restoring all factory corrosion protection.

Lengthening wire harness, fuel lines, brake lines, existing drive shaft and rear roll bar down tubes.

The stretch is compatible with the stock suspension and plastic fenders. It is also compatible with all aftermarket suspension systems and Fenders.

JKL options:

Rear seat bracket relocation brackets, parts and labor $500

Modified Bestop Trextop NX $1300

Inyati Sprayed in bed liner in rear of tub $500

Addition rear cage bars $300 to $500

We can also do any suspension or other upgrades you would like to do. I also like to talk with our customers to find out what they want out of their Jeeps. Offer guidance to make sure you are spending your money wisely. To many people have come to us after they spent money on things that don't offer a lot of benefits.

If you haven't done any suspension mods yet, would like to talk to you before you make any. Although our stretch is compatible with all systems, it works really well with Rock Krawlers 3" rear stretch. This would give you a 108" wheelbase, the same as Black Widow and Orange Krush.

As far as sliders and armor, we are working with Poison Spyder. They are making their Brawler Rockers and Heavy Duty Crusher Corners to fit our stretch conversions. Photos in another e-mail.

Not sure if you have spent some time on our web site yet but there are a lot of photos and information there. Below is a link and a few videos. Let me know what other questions you may have. Thanks Eric

http://youtu.be/yhvTN7MrSbo

http://youtu.be/g6jUJDQjB-E

Eric Muilenberg

President

Kustom Koachworks Inc.

Family Owned and Operated Since 1982

Tempe Mesa Scottsdale

480-829-8048 480-981-8293 480-607-6680

480-967-4337fax 480-807-0614fax 480-607-6712fax

480-221-9439mbl

On Aug 11, 2013, at 9:56 AM, "Joe Gonzales" <allamericaninfidel@yahoo.com> wrote:

Hi, I am inquiring about your JKL conversion. I am curious how the interior is laid out. By stretching the body and frame 10", would I gain more cargo room behind the rear seat, or more rear seat legroom and the same cargo area? Do you have any pictures of the interior with the rear seat in? Also, what does the conversion include? I am assuming everything needed for you to stretch it, but what about cage, soft top, etc.? Finally, are you currently working with anyone on parts that would be specific to this type of conversion, such as rock sliders, etc.? Thank you for your time. I am seriously considering having my wife drop my 2013 Wrangler off with you while I am in Korea, which will be about a year from now, so I am just doing some research right now to see if this is something I will do. Thank you for your time, Joe.

rtguy1

cool idea.
i see more benefit from moving the axle back to obtain this same wheelbase without stretching the frame. but of course I am a bit biased. Thats alot of cash to lengthen the frame and keep everything else stock. The stock wheelbase is actually 95.4, so this puts you at 105.4". since the frame is lengthened you dont gain any departure angle.
With that said, these conversions are nice. If you do a bit of research you will find some reviews on these rigs and they all are positive. the work is very clean and all details are covered. quality work for sure. If you want a 2 door with a long wheelbase, but dont want a traditional stretch than this is for you.

this is about 11" of stretch with no frame stretch. only the rear axle was moved.
View attachment 44330 View attachment 44331 View attachment 44332

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
cool idea.
i see more benefit from moving the axle back to obtain this same wheelbase without stretching the frame. but of course I am a bit biased. Thats alot of cash to lengthen the frame and keep everything else stock. The stock wheelbase is actually 95.4, so this puts you at 105.4". since the frame is lengthened you dont gain any departure angle.
With that said, these conversions are nice. If you do a bit of research you will find some reviews on these rigs and they all are positive. the work is very clean and all details are covered. quality work for sure. If you want a 2 door with a long wheelbase, but dont want a traditional stretch than this is for you.

this is about 11" of stretch with no frame stretch. only the rear axle was moved.
View attachment 44330 View attachment 44331 View attachment 44332

I definitely agree here with you. A suspension stretch will definitely improve departure angle, on and off road handling, and they look pretty damn sweet as well. rtguy1, you rig was actually one of the reasons/inspirations for me seriously considering a stretch in the first place. I do like the idea of gaining a little more interior space with the JKL as well, so right now I'm weighing the options as to whether or not an extra 10 inches behind the seat is worth it to me personally. rtguy1, just curious if you could PM me how much a stretch like yours cost, Id like to compare my options here. Also, do you know if a suspension stretch could work with something like the Evo Lever? For me personally, cutting into the tub is a no go. This is actually going to be my next bit of research so I can compare options and make a better decision.

rtguy1

I definitely agree here with you. A suspension stretch will definitely improve departure angle, on and off road handling, and they look pretty damn sweet as well. rtguy1, you rig was actually one of the reasons/inspirations for me seriously considering a stretch in the first place. I do like the idea of gaining a little more interior space with the JKL as well, so right now I'm weighing the options as to whether or not an extra 10 inches behind the seat is worth it to me personally. rtguy1, just curious if you could PM me how much a stretch like yours cost, Id like to compare my options here. Also, do you know if a suspension stretch could work with something like the Evo Lever? For me personally, cutting into the tub is a no go. This is actually going to be my next bit of research so I can compare options and make a better decision.

cost really depends on what you want done. you want longer arms? you want high clearance brackets and really long arms? you want coilovers? you want airbumps? you want custom armor stretch skins, or painted body panels? your money is better spent where it counts imo. as i said before thats a ton of money to be essentially stock plus a few inches. once its done its like, ok, lets start the mods now...lol everything that made my rig "stretched" was an upgrade and essentially most is part of a normal build. upper and lower adjustable control arms, custom je reel 1350, evo armor corners, custom evo coilover tower....etc

evo lever is a no go on a stretch like mine. i get gobs of articulation with my setup though. you can also outboard the coilovers which will give you excellent results. so, the question is why not a four door? sounds like you are concerned about the rear seat and space. I have plenty of space since my rear seat collects dust.

personally i'd buy a 4 door before that JKL. its cool and all, just not for me

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
cost really depends on what you want done. you want longer arms? you want high clearance brackets and really long arms? you want coilovers? you want airbumps? you want custom armor stretch skins, or painted body panels? your money is better spent where it counts imo. as i said before thats a ton of money to be essentially stock plus a few inches. once its done its like, ok, lets start the mods now...lol everything that made my rig "stretched" was an upgrade and essentially most is part of a normal build. upper and lower adjustable control arms, custom je reel 1350, evo armor corners, custom evo coilover tower....etc

evo lever is a no go on a stretch like mine. i get gobs of articulation with my setup though. you can also outboard the coilovers which will give you excellent results. so, the question is why not a four door? sounds like you are concerned about the rear seat and space. I have plenty of space since my rear seat collects dust.

personally i'd buy a 4 door before that JKL. its cool and all, just not for me

Understood, I know there is a lot of options/factors that go into any stretch. We are actually going to look at a JKUR this weekend... for my wife. I'm personally not into the 4 doors; Nothing wrong with them, Just not me. I'm not so concerned with rear seat space, as mine resides in the garage taking up space as well. I do, however, have to throw it in occasionally when the kids come along, and I like having that option. That's the only reason for a no go on the tub cutting for me. I don't want to throw the rear seat in and then have no cargo space at all. Part of me feels the 10 extra inches of wheelbase and cargo room would be nice, but as you mentioned, its stock plus a few inches. Then I still have to start upgrades/modifications. I'm sure 10 grand (body/frame stretch + soft top) would go a long way in upgrading. Hhmmm, lots to think about.

Top Bottom