What do you think is the best tire??

Smokumace

Big debate with my buddies figured I would take a forum poll. What do you think is the best ON and OFF road tire (rock crawling).

For me living in Florida the Micky Thompson Baja ATZ works for me. Through recommendations from other threads and watching the 2012 JKX Nitto Trail Grappler is going to be my next tire. I would prefer the Nitto Mud Grappler but the road noise deters my decission due SWMBO does not like the road noise.

R/
Will

BTW SWMBO controls the money for mods.

I love nitto tires I have had the Terra grappler,mud grappler and trail grappler and they are all great tires.the mud grappler is a great tire for off road but are loud as hell on the highway for that reason I run the trail grappler which are still a good off road tire and are quiet on highway. You can't go wrong either way. I think the trail grappler is the most liked tire of any out there

dahreno

Banned
I just bought Goodyear MTRs . They are still on the floor. I will put them on soon and see how they do. 38 x 17 x 14.5", they are expensive !

Rollincoal420

For me living in Florida the Micky Thompson Baja ATZ works for me. Through recommendations from other threads and watching the 2012 JKX Nitto Trail Grappler is going to be my next tire. I would prefer the Nitto Mud Grappler but the road noise deters my decission due SWMBO does not like the road noise.

R/
Will

BTW SWMBO controls the money for mods.

I would concur w this, but the MTZ's These to seem to b awesome around here. Mud, rocks, and muddy rocks:D

I have rode w a handful of people w both MTZ and trail grapplers and they made my old swamps look like junk, lasted long enough, still performed well as they wore, and had good road manners. A couple had issues w the sidewalls on the mtz, but not all of them.

Hearing lots of good things about the Goodyear duratracs too. Awesome mileage w good bite.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

mikefishes

I just took off a set of Goodyears that I loved and replaced with Trail Grapplers. The Nittos are far less noisy on the road. I have only wheeled the Nittos once, but I did like the way they handled.

Smokumace

What ever happened to good old BFG just playing devils advocate no bias here I currently have Toyo M/T seem to work good just don't get any mileage.

crowrb29

Has anyone ran falken wildpeaks on their rigs, I hear good things and for the price it doesn't seem like you really can complain too much. I don't really run into mud too often in the desert and the ATs I have now work pretty well on rocks.

Last edited:

FrankenJeeper

Has anyone ran falken wildpeaks on their rigs, I hear good things and for the price it doesn't seem like you really can complain too much. I don't really run into mud too often in the desert and the ATs I have now work pretty well on rocks.

I'm running the Falken Rocky Mountain ATS from discount tire in 35x12.50x17 and I love them so far. I've put over 10k miles on them so far and barely showing any tread wear. They handle great on road and great offroad in my area with the exception of mud. I have no complaints!

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1376456498.309934.jpg

2010 JKU Sport
1977 CJ5

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jbaskin28

I currently am running 35" General Grabbers and love em. If I move up to 37s, I will likely run the Nitto Trail Grapplers. I saw an article shortly after I bought my JK that had a review on tires (2012, I want to say JP Mag did the review) and Nitto Trail Grapplers and General Grabbers where among the two best performing in all categories (snow, sand, mud, rock, etc).

This looks like the online article:
JP Magazine Tire Review March 2012

munstie

I'm running 35" Toyo Open Country M/T's more than happy with them in snow, mud, rocks, wearing great so far as well, have about 10,000 miles on them.

2011 JKU 3.5 R.E. Longarm lift.

Devallee

I'm running toyo m/t's as well and love em. I've used them in rain, mud, snow, and in the rocks. I know the nitto trail grapplers are just about the same tire but I wouldn't give up my toyos :thumb: about 30k miles on em and can get another 30 at least

Thefuzz

I live in an area of intense hills/curves that were grinding M/T tires too quick so went with the Cooper Discoverer AT3. Been impressed with the wear and noise and only wheeled a few times but seem to work great at about 20 lbs on wet rock and slippery Midwestern forest trails. But prolly going Nitto next round due to similar cost and so much publicity I've gotta try them.

RubyinUtah

I had the Nitto's and now I have the Duratracs. Both are great tires and are about equal when it comes to offroad capability but the Duratracs are better in the snow and on the road. I have a little over 15k on the tracs now and they are wearing great.

Top Bottom