what does your auto insurance cover?

Looking to find a new insurance company but it seems hard to find one that will cover all the after market parts on the jeep especially when the parts are greater then the value of the jeep. I heard AAA might, but thats the one company my insurance broker does not carry so I'm not too sure.

jkjurny

My carrier is Liberty Mutual and they covered up to $12,000 in aftermarket. Just so you know, they raised their eyebrows when my list included a winch. Their underwriter threatened to delist my Jeep, because the winch placed it in a work truck category. It's been 7 months, and I haven't gotten a letter dropping my Jeep. The extra coverage cost me an extra $12 a month.

My insurance company, (can't remember the name for the life of me) only covers $1500 in modifications. The rest is covered under an adder. You will have to justify the value of the things you are adding.

I usually provide a spreadsheet that has manufacturer and model numbers and not a description. Most underwriters don't take the time to fully verify. Some mods trigger other rate hikes or being dropped, like "Winch" I would put Warn, "Model #123XYZ" along with the list price. Be sure to CYA and only use list. If something should happen there is no guarantee that you can buy your items a second time on sale (if you did).

Keep in mind you might be better off not listing some mods. For instance a stock wheel and tire has a higher value (replacement wise) than most aftermarket ones. Even when considering larger sizes. Plus listing 35s or larger seems to be another trigger to most Ins Companies.

Hope this helps

Atch

I have American family. I pay extra to cover my mods. I'm also covered when I wheel as long as its not a timed event.

My carrier is Liberty Mutual and they covered up to $12,000 in aftermarket. Just so you know, they raised their eyebrows when my list included a winch. Their underwriter threatened to delist my Jeep, because the winch placed it in a work truck category. It's been 7 months, and I haven't gotten a letter dropping my Jeep. The extra coverage cost me an extra $12 a month.

good to know. maybe I will leave the winch off the list. I'm curious what they will think about the axles. There are no model numbers on them, at least the rear has dynatrac stamped into it.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Looking to find a new insurance company but it seems hard to find one that will cover all the after market parts on the jeep especially when the parts are greater then the value of the jeep. I heard AAA might, but thats the one company my insurance broker does not carry so I'm not too sure.

I have all my mods insured (lights, sound system, armor, bumper, suspension) through geico. Costing me $18 a month more. The only thing not insured is my winch. I was told/read that if you mention winch to geico, they think you are using the vehicle for commercial purposes and hell breaks loose.

Rollincoal420

State farm always told me, as long as I have the receipts, they would cover them too. Haven't had a chance to test it yet, but 3 agents over many years of switching back and forth have told me the same

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
State farm always told me, as long as I have the receipts, they would cover them too. Haven't had a chance to test it yet, but 3 agents over many years of switching back and forth have told me the same

Do you pay for the coverage? I have heard COUNTLESS stories about insurance companies not paying up. Geico doesn't require receipts. You tell them what you have and the value. They charge a premium based on value. The accepting payment is equivalent to signing a contract, which means, if stuff gets stolen, they MUST pay the agreed upon amount. I would get that promise in writing. If you are not paying a premium over a stock vehicle, then I wouldn't count on getting paid if the parts are stolen.

Rollincoal420

With full coverage, they cover the vehicle and anything installed or bolted to it. They told me to just hold on to the receipts.

I did one, have a claim on my truck from a tree, I had to side tool boxes on my truck that they replaced. The adjuster asked me what the value was and I simply said "about $200 I guess" since I got them off cl and was gonna do the same again. And that's what he put on the estimate and was on the check.

Toolbox replacement..... $200

So yeah, state farm had always been good to me. Of course, I would definitely check w the agents bfore u sign on

WhiteDynamite

I just checked with USAA and the most they will do is value of the Jeep + $5000 in extra equipment. It used to be unlimited so this kind of sucks. My front axle alone is $5000. :(

i defiantly dont have all receipts. right now i have mercury and they only cover 1k but are looking into what a premium would be for the mods. they dont need receipts just pictures which is nice, but the problem is the parts value is greater then the value of the jeep. They are talking to an underwiter so i'll see what happens. didnt think of gieco will have to look into that one, thanks.

Kneece

I've worked at Body shops for 25 years and " most" insurance companys don't require receipts as long as you have pictures. I know Geico, Progressive, and Allstate BLOW when it comes to this kinda stuff. I've seen first hand them literally Screwing people!!!!

Sent by Pony Express

Rottenbelly

I tried to get some new rate and geico and Allstate would even cover me when I told the I had a lifted jeep with a lot of goodies.
They didn't even ask anymore questions, end of conversation. They didn't even ask how much lift or anymore question.
I have a immaculate driving record and the jeeps not that modded. It's my DD.
I have progressive but they only allow 5k extra parts coverage.

Top Bottom