Eddie made me get my first Jeep.

sc_rhino

After watching all of Wayalif's videos, I had to start looking for a jeep. Then this 2010 JKUR manual came along and I decided to go for it. It came with a BDS 6.5 inch lift with 20 inch Fuel wheels and 35 inch Mud Grapplers. I am already thinking about lowering it a few inches but would like to get your opinions.
scrubi.jpg

Millerj87

Put 37's on to help fill the gap between fender and wheel if that's what your looking for?

Sent from my iPhone on the west coast of florida

sc_rhino

For now I want to stay with 35s but the shop that put this on is willing to swap out my 6.5 with a 4.5 inch on one of his jeeps.

Webe

Also depends on the kind of wheeling your thinking of getting into later. IMHO 6.5 is over kill of a lift. I'd got with the 4.5 swap.:twocents:

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Moby only has about 4.5" of lift and it clears 40" tires. IMHO 6.5" of lift is waaaay too much for 35's. You would be fine with half of that.

The only reason I could see running a tall lift is if you needed to run really tall mud tires for bogging...but if that was the case I think there are better choices than a Jeep anyway.

xflstl

So is it an actual 6.5" of lift? Or is it rated at 6.5 and might only be 5.5? Probly should figure that out 1st.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

Welcome to the WAYALIFE. Nice looking Rubi. I concur with the others and 6.5 is a bit of an over kill. Be sure to get you some armor.

R/
Will

Atch

I agree with everyone else, needs to be lowered. If its only going to stay on the pavement then you wouldn't have to lower it but if you have plans to wheel you'll want a lower center of gravity.

sc_rhino

From the ground to the top is at least 78 inches. I agree 100% that I need to go down. How much? I'm not sure if 4.5 is still too tall but I might start there if all I have to pay is labor to drop down.

In the south, I think a lot of people think you have to have high lifts to do anything and when I told them I wanted to lower it, they thought I was crazy. But after reading this forum and seeing what moby, rubicat, and everyone else's jeeps can do with lifts just big enough to clear their tires, I'm in agreement less is more.

One more thing. I want to start customizing and I want to put on rock sliders but the lod brand attaches to the jeep right where the rear long arm bracket is. :icon_crazy:

By the way, I think I want to be a trail/rock offroader. I like mud but I dont want to go mud bogging.

MTG

Caught the Bug
I'd also check to make sure the 4.5 lift is similar in quality/performance to the 6.5. I think I'd take a better 6.5 lift than swap it out for a crappy 4.5. :thumb:

LoPo

Caught the Bug
From the ground to the top is at least 78 inches. I agree 100% that I need to go down. How much? I'm not sure if 4.5 is still too tall but I might start there if all I have to pay is labor to drop down.

hrm, I was measuring 81" with TF 6" coils in the rear, but I run 37's, so that's ~1" of the difference. You can't take the 6.5" as fact as coils end up settling and softening and the weight of the jeep over the coils changes the height gain.

If you are hellbent on lowering it, just go buy new coils and shocks instead of removing and swapping for what possibly is a lesser lift kit.

MTG

Caught the Bug
hrm, I was measuring 81" with TF 6" coils in the rear, but I run 37's, so that's ~1" of the difference. You can't take the 6.5" as fact as coils end up settling and softening and the weight of the jeep over the coils changes the height gain.

If you are hellbent on lowering it, just go buy new coils and shocks instead of removing and swapping for what possibly is a lesser lift kit.

Yeah, I was thinking that it didn't look that tall myself. But I didn't have my jeep to go measure. :thinking:

LoPo

Caught the Bug
Yeah, I was thinking that it didn't look that tall myself. But I didn't have my jeep to go measure. :thinking:

I measured after I got my front DTD installed, I needed to know where I stood for parking garage access....:bleh:

xflstl

From the ground to the top is at least 78 inches.
I just measured mine, running 42" tires with DTD front and rear im at 79 3/4" measured from the ground to the highest point at the B pillar. So I would say running 35's you should drop at least a couple inches of height.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

sc_rhino

The lift that I'm thinking of switching to is the same brand, BDS. So I would be going from a 6.5 long arm to a 4.5 long arm. Do you really think the only difference is the coils and shocks?

Top Bottom