How often should I change my differential fluid

bl17z90

As the title says, how often should I change my differential oil? I have a dana 44 in the rear and a dana 30 up front. Is there a difference from front to rear on how often it needs to be done?

bl17z90

Nevermind I just found it.....:doh:

But I was curious if anyone knows if the sports with 3.73's are limited slip differentials or not.

Last edited:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
It will say LSD on your door sticker or it will have some on the axle tag/door tag if its LSD. It's not a standard option I don't believe.

bl17z90

Thanks. I realized I am at 40k and havn't touched either of them yet......Do you do both front and rear at the same time?

TJM12

Nevermind I just found it.....:doh:

But I was curious if anyone knows if the sports with 3.73's are limited slip differentials or not.
It always surprises me how many people have no idea what their jeep came equipped with when they bought it??

Tcdawg

TJM12 said:
It always surprises me how many people have no idea what their jeep came equipped with when they bought it??

It shouldn't surprise you. Lots of folks buy a jeep because they just want a "jeep". It's not until later do they get into the hobby itself. This particular guy is now learning about his jeep.

Shoot, I bought my first jeep in 1993, a 93 YJ. I decided I was going to get a Wrangler and bought the first one I looked at. Bought it in October and it wasn't until April that I realized it didn't have AC!!

Tranquillity

It shouldn't surprise you. Lots of folks buy a jeep because they just want a "jeep". It's not until later do they get into the hobby itself. This particular guy is now learning about his jeep.

Shoot, I bought my first jeep in 1993, a 93 YJ. I decided I was going to get a Wrangler and bought the first one I looked at. Bought it in October and it wasn't until April that I realized it didn't have AC!!

Yup, when I bought my JK I didn't knew half of what I know now. The jeep dragged me into the wayoflife and I will gladly repay her with upgrades :D

StrizzyChris

X3...my old YJ was the first to teach me anything about Jeeps. Since I have learned so much, but back then was clueless! Noobs are always welcome here, as we were all one at some point! :thumb:

bl17z90

Sorry to dissapoint you. I actually bought my Jeep because it was the only SUV style vehicle I could afford at the time and then just like every other story you hear I got hooked :yup:

Thanks for the input guys, I assume it'll be written on the sticker on the rear axle....if its even still legible.

jeeeep

Hooked
As the title says, how often should I change my differential oil? I have a dana 44 in the rear and a dana 30 up front. Is there a difference from front to rear on how often it needs to be done?

Do you have the owners manual? there is a section that tells what fluid to use for each type of differential, if you don't have the owners manual you can request a build sheet from Chrysler http://www.jeep.com/jeepcares

the front I believe is the same for all axles is 80w-90 GL-5, the rear will vary depending on axle and use - if you have trak-lok it will require and additive

I forget what the schedule is for normal use but I change mine about every 12000 miles (I tow and drive more than average)

found this on the owner CD - I have a 2010 Rubi Unl:
226 RBI (Model 44) - MOPAR® Gear & Axle Lubricant (SAE 80W-90) (API GL-5) or equivalent. For trailer towing, use MOPAR® Synthetic Gear & Axle Lubricant (SAE 75W-140) or equivalent. Models equipped with Trac-Lok™ require an additive.

Last edited:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Thanks. I realized I am at 40k and havn't touched either of them yet......Do you do both front and rear at the same time?

If your changing them from mileage then yes. If you got water in your diff or need to check a diff there is no reason to do both.

Top Bottom