How did you know

JKU EXTREME

I am going into my senior year of Highschool, and naturally, I still don't have an idea on what I want to pursue for a career/ mods money, I am just wondering at what point in your life did some of y'all decided on what you wanted to do with your lives, I know this isn't really Jeep specific, but I believe it's part of the Wayalife

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Work a part time job and live with your parents. You can save money for your jeep and not have bills. :thumb:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Work a part time job and live with your parents. You can save money for your jeep and not have bills. :thumb:

^^^ this is exactly what i am currently doing. working a full time job and living at home still. only my jeep and credit card bills. building my jeep while saving for a place to live. also pursuing the coast guard at this time so waiting on that to fall into place as well.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
^^^ this is exactly what i am currently doing. working a full time job and living at home still. only my jeep and credit card bills. building my jeep while saving for a place to live. also pursuing the coast guard at this time so waiting on that to fall into place as well.

I meant for the rest of your life.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
On a serious note figure out what you really want to do and do it. If you don't know go to community college and take your general education classes first while you decide. You want to do it right the first time because doing it twice sucks.

And as a friend of mine has said in the past, live like your in college when you are or you will live like your in college when your not. :thumb:

Aeraun

Well I am 22 years old and in my senior year of college. Lost a year because I had to transfer. Let me just say this as a piece of advice - no matter what you plan or think you want or will be doing, it will most likely not happen that way. I was set on a career path since I was 8 years old and all of that changed in roughly a year into college. Its great to have a plan and all, but just take everything one day at a time and see where it takes you. As for choosing a career path, yes of course this decision is usually monetarily driven, but I think the best way to go is to take the few things you truly enjoy in life and try and term them into a career. I'd take a job that pays half as much than another one if i know I will really love doing it. Another problem with this decision is bring able to narrow down what you want to do. There are so many things to experience in the world and all of us will only experience a fraction of them in our lives. I'd also suggest looking into some odd jobs. Ones that not many think of doing that can be rewarding and then moving on to another to experience different things. I don't believe we should all limit ourselves to one linear career.

JKU EXTREME

And as a friend of mine has said in the past, live like your in college when you are or you will live like your in college when your not. :thumb:
That's some good advice

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I am going into my senior year of Highschool, and naturally, I still don't have an idea on what I want to pursue for a career/ mods money, I am just wondering at what point in your life did some of y'all decided on what you wanted to do with your lives, I know this isn't really Jeep specific, but I believe it's part of the Wayalife

With any luck, you'll never know what you want to pursue. Me, I always thought I wanted to be an architect and that's what I studied to be and eventually became. Of course, today, I do anything but. If there is one thing I would advise you to do, it's to do what's in front of you and do it to the best of your ability. The rest will figure itself out.

JKU EXTREME

With any luck, you'll never know what you want to pursue. Me, I always thought I wanted to be an architect and that's what I studied to be and eventually became. Of course, today, I do anything but. If there is one thing I would advise you to do, it's to do what's in front of you and do it to the best of your ability. The rest will figure itself out.

That's good advice as well, but I thought you were and engineer?

Army_Vet

Banned
Sorry I can't be of more help. But it seems I was just destined to be a grease monkey since I was a kid.... Two young kids to support at 18 kinda forced me into the military. While there I found a million things I wanted to do..... maybe this helps somehow....
Travel the world on Uncle Sams dime till you figure it out....

JKU EXTREME

Sorry I can't be of more help. But it seems I was just destined to be a grease monkey since I was a kid.... Two young kids to support at 18 kinda forced me into the military. While there I found a million things I wanted to do..... maybe this helps somehow....
Travel the world on Uncle Sams dime till you figure it out....

I have always been fascinated with the military, and I like helping people, but that is also a good idea, to travel the world till you figure it out

Aeraun

I have always been fascinated with the military, and I like helping people, but that is also a good idea, to travel the world till you figure it out

To add to that, I think its not so much about finding what you want to do rather its more of finding yourself and who you are. I strongly believe that if you have a really strong sense of self and identity that then you will be able to surround yourself with the right people, make decisions that will truly compliment who you are and find yourself in and shape the environment around you to be what you want it to be. I would define success as achieving that.

jhires

Do you know what you like to do now?
Is there anything you are a "natural" at?
Could you see yourself doing it for pay for the rest of your life?
Would you do it even if the money wasn't there?

That's what I did. I was fascinated with computers from a very young age and now make a pretty decent living doing computer work. Because I truly liked it, the career grew and money increased as a natural result of that. It is hard to see when you are young, but having done this for 25 years now, I'm way ahead of many of my high school classmates who were impatient and wanted a quick road to money instead of doing something the loved.

JKU EXTREME

Do you know what you like to do now?
Is there anything you are a "natural" at?
Could you see yourself doing it for pay for the rest of your life?
Would you do it even if the money wasn't there?

That's what I did. I was fascinated with computers from a very young age and now make a pretty decent living doing computer work. Because I truly liked it, the career grew and money increased as a natural result of that. It is hard to see when you are young, but having done this for 25 years now, I'm way ahead of many of my high school classmates who were impatient and wanted a quick road to money instead of doing something the loved.

Well from a young age I was always fascinated with cars, and now keeps and Offroad, but I'm not very good at math so engineer is out, but I like helping people, so maybe there is something there

FrankenJeeper

I started taking machining classes at my trade school in 9th grade and continued trough a community college, and worked for several years. I really enjoy helping people, so I decided I wanted to become a teacher, and the more I looked into it, I realized I wanted to teach trade school. I pursued that and now I am in my 2nd year of teaching high school level machining, and I love every minute of it.
My advice is when you have an opportunity, take it. I was working for department of defense, and truly enjoyed it, but I wanted to teach. It was difficult to quit a job I enjoyed for something I thought I wanted to do, but I'm glad I took the leap of faith.

2010 JKU Sport
1977 CJ5

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

gyoja75

The military is a great option if you don't know. If you hate it, you will surely make up your mind on what you want to do when your contract is up. You can also pick up some free certifications while serving.

"Sua Sponte"

jhires

Well from a young age I was always fascinated with cars, and now keeps and Offroad, but I'm not very good at math so engineer is out, but I like helping people, so maybe there is something there

Here is something to think about.
Go to a local shop and ask what they would recommend you do as far as getting into the business.
Contact any number of the mechanics that are on this forum and ask what they look for. What kind of skills are important in addition to just the basics.
Like Jeeps? Send an email to North Ridge 4x4 as well as EVO, see what they look for when they are looking to hire, and where they look for future employees.

Pretty sure any of them are going to be looking for people who are passionate about their work, want to do more, and learn more.

This method also works for just about any career path. Get advice from people who are already there and who have already done it.

JKU EXTREME

Here is something to think about.
Go to a local shop and ask what they would recommend you do as far as getting into the business.
Contact any number of the mechanics that are on this forum and ask what they look for. What kind of skills are important in addition to just the basics.
Like Jeeps? Send an email to North Ridge 4x4 as well as EVO, see what they look for when they are looking to hire, and where they look for future employees.

Pretty sure any of them are going to be looking for people who are passionate about their work, want to do more, and learn more.

This method also works for just about any career path. Get advice from people who are already there and who have already done it.

Thanks, I was thinking about doing that as well, and if I could get into that career I feel like I wouldn't work a day in my life because I would enjoy the work too much
Thanks again

bl17z90

10th grade I took welding and automotive.
11th grade i went farther into automotive
12th grade i changed over to diesel mechanics
and all through college I studied Diesel mechanics and was actualy able to get my degree using those classes
After college finished i spent about one more year working as a mechanic
Then I got a job as a security gaurd
Then I got a job as a security systems technician (alarms and cameras)
Now I am a systems administrator and I love it

All of my life I have enjoyed messing with computers and things like that so its kind of a round about how I ended up doing this as a career

But like Eddie said don't half ass anything.

Top Bottom