Towing a Jeep Wrangler

Doplar

Hello All,

So I'm thinking I want to be able to tow my 2014 2D Sport behind my 2013 Ford Explorer. I believe the Explorer's tow package can handle up to 5k lbs. My question is what do I need to buy in order to make this happen. It will save a lot of headaches on trips if I can drive with my wife and tow the Wrangler, instead of us driving seperately.

I've read this:
http://www.quadratec.com/jeep_knowledgebase/article-145.htm

I need this to tow the jeep:
http://www.quadratec.com/products/92012_22_07.htm

So what else do I need? do I need to change the bumper? My jeep is all stock atm.

I appreciate all the additional information you guys and gals have.

Thanks.

Rollincoal420

I would start with a load distributing hitch, electric brake controller, and trans cooler. Other than, you'd probably b ok. But you will be at the limits of the rating if not over depending on the trailer and if your towing that much, the explorer will b happy for only do long

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Rollincoal420

yeah, if u got their tow package, your hitch will b fine, and ur teams coming should b fine too. A weight distributing hitch simply slides into the receiver tube and has 2 extra bars that chain to the tongue off the trailer to help fight over excessive tongue weight.

I would also consider a good brake controller as braking becomes an issue when u got a load

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

CRAZYCASEY

I tow my jeep all the time. Although flat towing is the easiest way, I trailer mine. My 4 door weighs about 6000lbs and my trailer weighs another 1800. My f150 Eco boost tows it with no problem on a standard hitch. Not sure if you are planing on using a trailer or flat towing, I can't get your links to work on my phone. I see no problem flat towing it but I would think a weight distribution hitch would help with trailer ing it.

I will tell you that being stuck 250 miles from home with a broken jeep that you cannot flat tow home sucks, that's why I prefer to trailer it

Attachments

• image-3294556826.jpg
    image-3294556826.jpg
    226.4 KB · Views: 300
  • image-377828036.jpg
    image-377828036.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 300
Last edited:

jeeeep

Hooked
you can go to any RV center or U-Haul and they will help you select a proper tow bar, you don't need to change your bumper, kits come with all necessary hardware.

read your owners manual on how to prep the Jeep for proper towing so no damage occurs to the drivetrain, depending on manual or automatic there is a very specific set of steps you need to follow.

Also seen some put a windshield protector on the Jeep to stop rock chip damage.

jeff_in_rc

Doplar, are you going to flat tow the Jeep or trailer it?

For flat towing the tow bar you linked will work, you will need a brake controller on the Explorer and an electric brake device on the Jeep, and tow lights.

For trailer towing you will need the weight distribution hitch, a brake controller in the Ford, and a trailer with electric brakes. Or surge brakes but to me electric work better and won't give you fits while backing up.

Check out Camping World for the brake device for the Jeep, they have all kinds.

Last edited:

StrizzyChris

I use a sterling when towing mine like in this link http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/sterling-all-terrain-tow-bar-6-wire/31327

I wouldn't say that you HAVE to get this good of a bar, but just like any other type of parts...you get what you pay for. If you are not in a hurry, I would go onto RV forums and look at their for sale sections for a bar like sterling, blue ox or roadmaster. All great bars and will serve you well.

Other than that, a brake assist system will definitely help and in some states REQUIRED when towing a vehicle. Just check the local laws for towing wherever your going.

Lastly you WILL need a set of brake lights to tow. You can either go to uhaul or camping world and pay for them to hard wire a plug that makes your factory lights work when towing(expensive) or do what I did and buy a set of cheapo $10-$20 magnetic lights from amazon and just place a thin towel between it and the body of the jeep to prevent scratching.

Doplar

I want to flat tow it. I don't have the cash to purchase a trailer for it.

For flat towing the tow bar you linked will work, you will need a brake controller on the Explorer and an electric brake device on the Jeep, and tow lights.

Can someone put a linke to an electric brake device?

I saw a break controller on amazon here:
http://www.amazon.com/Reese-Towpowe...-5&keywords=electric+trailer+brake+controller

In General, My goal isn't to spend a lot of money on this set up. I'd like to be able to flat tow my Jeep from Maryland up to NJ and Delaware. I would probably use a tow set up 4-8 times a year.

Again, I'm looking into this so the wife and I can drive together in one car with our newborn and dog, and still let us have 2 vehicles when we hit our destinations.

Thanks everyone so far for all the good information. Very helpful to me, and hopefully to others.

=), Doplar

Last edited:

StrizzyChris

That far 4-8 times a year is a lot! Especially using a passenger vehicle to tow it with. I would truly look at a quality bar and brake assist system(shop around and you can get it all used for 1500) to protect the vehicles, but most importantly your family. Go to used RV dealerships, they usually have these things for a good price.

Bootlover101

I tow my jeep all the time. Although flat towing is the easiest way, I trailer mine. My 4 door weighs about 6000lbs and my trailer weighs another 1800. My f150 Eco boost tows it with no problem on a standard hitch. Not sure if you are planing on using a trailer or flat towing, I can't get your links to work on my phone. I see no problem flat towing it but I would think a weight distribution hitch would help with trailer ing it.

I will tell you that being stuck 250 miles from home with a broken jeep that you cannot flat tow home sucks, that's why I prefer to trailer it

IMG_5724.jpg IMG_5730.jpg IMG_5971.jpg

I tow with my Jeep on a trailer. Saves my tires and if the Jeep brakes down all I've got to do is get it on the trailer and we're on our way

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

agiron

Doplar, are you going to flat tow the Jeep or trailer it?

For flat towing the tow bar you linked will work, you will need a brake controller on the Explorer and an electric brake device on the Jeep, and tow

I'm going to tow my Jeep, it has a lid destroyer from bumper, could I just hook up one of these tow bars to the bumper or would I need the mounting plate?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

Jmo

Is that an 18ft trailer? Do you have any side pics so I can see how it fits?

Top Bottom