Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22

Thread: 2wd wrangler?

  1. #11
    Been Around the Block Indefatigable's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    BC Canada
    Posts
    309
    Alot of Jeeps over the years have had a 2WD option.

    Lets face it, most Jeep buyers never need 4wd. They are a utility vehicle and that is what most need, a station wagon.

    Lots of 2WD XJs out there. MJs and I have seen ZJs too. I think just about every Jeep model had a 2wd version at some point.

    Production has changed alot over the decades. It has come to the point that it costs less to put an option into everything than into just some. Alot depends on production volume. Thus fewer trim options, fewer model levels and WAY more standard features.

    The flexible production equipment that most Japanese use enable more choice of production options. Typical American production is not that flexible.
    05 LJ - Hi-Lo-2nd Lo- Stupid Lo
    Herd of Turtles 4WD Society

  2. #12
    Been Around the Block Drumr90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Pensylvania
    Posts
    271
    Quote Originally Posted by Indefatigable
    Alot of Jeeps over the years have had a 2WD option.

    Lets face it, most Jeep buyers never need 4wd. They are a utility vehicle and that is what most need, a station wagon.

    Lots of 2WD XJs out there. MJs and I have seen ZJs too. I think just about every Jeep model had a 2wd version at some point.

    Production has changed alot over the decades. It has come to the point that it costs less to put an option into everything than into just some. Alot depends on production volume. Thus fewer trim options, fewer model levels and WAY more standard features.

    The flexible production equipment that most Japanese use enable more choice of production options. Typical American production is not that flexible.
    Wow ive goot to look into jeeps of the past more and learn more.

  3. #13
    Nothing but a Thing 4x4Jesus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Mission Viejo
    Posts
    1,092
    Sad story when I sold my rubicon rims the guy who bought them had a white jku on 35s. I asked him if he went out wheeling often and he said never its only 2WD! His entire jeep was just for "The Look" as he put it.

  4. #14
    Fresh Catch
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    alabama
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by 4x4Jesus
    Sad story when I sold my rubicon rims the guy who bought them had a white jku on 35s. I asked him if he went out wheeling often and he said never its only 2WD! His entire jeep was just for "The Look" as he put it.
    Does the 2wd cost alot less? I guess jeep was targeting guys just like him with the 2wd.

  5. #15
    Been Around the Block ichthus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    263
    Ya gotta remember, that for some, the wayalife is more about cruising the beach-front topless & doorless on a nice sunny day. It can also be about the community and camaraderie that comes with driving a "real Jeep" in lands that see no snow and offer swamps for offroading that no JK we drive could possibly conquer.

    It's easy to get stuck in the microcosm of South California rock climbing and forget that Jeeps are built for the rest of the world. Sounds like heresy, but many consider "never-been-off-road" to be a selling point

  6. #16
    Administrator wayoflife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Carson City, NV
    Posts
    53,588
    Quote Originally Posted by JKUnomad1 View Post
    Does the 2wd cost alot less? I guess jeep was targeting guys just like him with the 2wd.
    when they were being sold, they did cost less and really, jeep was trying to target people who just wanted a fun or different suv.

  7. #17
    Fresh Catch
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    alabama
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife

    when they were being sold, they did cost less and really, jeep was trying to target people who just wanted a fun or different suv.
    Makes sense

  8. #18
    Knows a Thing or Two kaptkrappy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Punta Gorda, FL
    Posts
    971
    When you go to the Jeep Build and Price site and start building your JK, there is still a check box for 4X4. You have to check it on every model now or it won't let you continue. Must be a left over option from days gone by or maybe they are still thinking about offering it at a later date .

    Build n Price Jeep.jpg

    .

  9. #19
    Administrator wayoflife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Carson City, NV
    Posts
    53,588
    Quote Originally Posted by kaptkrappy View Post
    When you go to the Jeep Build and Price site and start building your JK, there is still a check box for 4X4. You have to check it on every model now or it won't let you continue. Must be a left over option from days gone by or maybe they are still thinking about offering it at a later date .

    Build n Price Jeep.jpg

    .
    LOL!! too funny. i don't think fiat has any intensions of bringing back the 2wd JK. if anything, they will be focusing on making more street friendly libertys and patriots.

  10. #20
    Been Around the Block Chairokey's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Anchorage Alaska
    Posts
    471
    Quote Originally Posted by kaptkrappy
    When you go to the Jeep Build and Price site and start building your JK, there is still a check box for 4X4. You have to check it on every model now or it won't let you continue. Must be a left over option from days gone by or maybe they are still thinking about offering it at a later date .

    <img src="http://wayalife.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2469"/>

    .
    :-O you can upgrade the rubicon to a 4x4 for no extra charge??? Lol

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
“wayoflife” is a moniker that I’ve been using for 20 years now and I chose it because I think it does a great job of explaining, in simple terms, the passion I have for Jeeps and the Jeep way of life. This is a lifestyle that transcends age, gender and race as the only thing you need to be a part of it is a love for the outdoors, a desire to explore, a yearning to take on a challenge and a will to conquer it. Over the years, Cindy and I have attempted to capture the essence of this lifestyle through photographs and videos and share it with others around the world. And, this is how WAYALIFE was born.
Join us
WATCH OUR VIDEOS